Author Topic: new empulse vid?  (Read 2772 times)

1lesscar

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
new empulse vid?
« on: December 30, 2011, 04:03:46 AM »
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:05:39 AM by 1lesscar »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: new empulse vid?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:44:20 AM »
Actually, Phantom found that video shortly after it showed up in April 2011:
http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=641.0

But it's pretty cool, anyway.  Thanks for posting it.  :)
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 10:00:17 AM »
So... What would you like to see in a new Empulse video or videos? Maybe include some examples of your favorite current motorcycling videos on YouTube? 

Here's what I think is the best produced e-moto video to date:

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 11:05:37 AM »
I like the existing Empulse videos.

Here is a Ducati Monster 1100 EVO video I like:

I would like to see a combination of Empluse details and how well it can perform. I would like to see different configuration options for the Empulse: aggressive riding position vs. upright, seating for one or two, etc. Any hints at integrated smartphone features would be cool.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 11:17:22 AM »
So... What would you like to see in a new Empulse video or videos? Maybe include some examples of your favorite current motorcycling videos on YouTube?  

Wow... Sick! I like it because it highlights the green features while still being a bad-ass video.

People will know the Empulse is green by the fact it runs on batteries... tree hugging videos work for the Prius, but with the Empulse the image should be powerful, smooth, raw, and bad-ass.

If you really want to grab peoples attention... performance numbers are always helpful. Oh, and air a commercial during the superbowl... :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:29:15 AM by EmpulseBuyer »

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 11:24:12 AM »
I do agree with Phantom as well... the original Empulse Videos were what got me all pumped about the Empulse in the first place.

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 04:07:05 PM »

The production and art quality is pretty high on your example, but the key questions people would love to see answered with their own eyes on video are these:

1)  How does the 6-speed IET change performance over the original design?  (AKA -- remind us again why exactly is it that we're still *patiently* waiting for the re-design?)  For that video, I would picture something where you run the original prototype against the 6-speed IET in a straight line race.  Either the classic Top Gear shot showing the start, then have a fixed camera on the finish line showing the gap.  Or a rear swing-arm camera shot from the original prototype, showing the 6-speed pull away with the original prototype in the foreground in 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen on one side. 

2)  How does the Empulse square up against a gasser?  This of course is a tough one, because it can be tricky to use another manufacturer's products in your own video.  It could be anything from a simple off the line shot, to a helicopter-style shot of a 40-60 or 60-80 roll-on in 3rd gear.  Winning isn't even the point.  Showing it can hold its own is the point.  In fact, a "same as" kind of shot showing a tie would be even more informative than pulling ahead.  The feel of the shot should be 2 buddies both enjoying motorcycling the same while hanging out together.  One on a gasser, one on an EV and everything is copacetic and laid back.  The choice of comparable gasser would be a big question.  I think everyone expects to see it hold it's own against an SV650 or something similar.  If you can get video of that happening, that's a promise kept immortalized on-screen.

3)  Wheelies, stoppies, and burn-outs.  Not a lot of them, just enough to show it can do it.  Maybe cutting in with a brief second of these between longer shots.  There doesn't need to be step-by-step mechanics of the whole process of doing a wheelie, stoppie, or burnout from start to finish.

4)  Something that reminds folks that what is special is that not only can it do items 1-3, it's also green (no polar bears, please).  That's the hardest shot.  It can't be anything showing plugging in compared to gassing up.  That could backfire.  Maybe something like a golden-light open road shot, pulling back and panning to a wind farm spinning in the sun in the background.  Or a Solar array shot, pulling back to an Empulse rocketing away from a stop in the foreground, and the camera following the bike away.  Negative shots of gassers or gasoline references could backfire too.  I think it's better to just stay with a positively-charged video.  (sorry for the bad pun...). 

These suggestions might be a little bit too literal for the kind of video you might have in mind.  But it would help all of us to explain to other folks why this bike is nothing like anything else out there.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 04:12:29 PM »
Wow...  1416, that was great. 
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 04:17:30 PM »
Thanks!  But I forgot to include the shots of Hot Chicks.  Gotta figure a way to work in the Hot Chicks.   ;D

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »
Good stuff....

One thing I like in the Freerider vid was the bike in the bedroom plugged in...

I really like the idea that inner city/big city people (usually no garage, limited parking, more bike theft) can keep the bike inside the home/apt...no gas fumes, no oil leaks, hard to steal.

Plus it shows the bike as more than just transportation...it becomes a integral part of the persons daily life.

Gavin

1lesscar

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 07:25:57 PM »

I would love to see a vid showing Empulse to be as hi performance as the current race replica machines like gsxrs, cbrs, r6s, and zxrs (THE Japanese 4).

I want to see the Empulse in another video ridden on the street by somebody like
Mr. Steve Atlas.
     If you can't get him, any famous street rider will do.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 07:29:41 PM by 1lesscar »

1lesscar

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 07:33:59 PM »
Basically, the IMpulse mixing it up with the ICEs  :o :o :o :o :o

1lesscar

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 07:58:19 PM »
 :D

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 08:13:46 PM »
Great ideas here.  We may need to shoot multiple videos! I'm sure Steve-O would be pumped to hear he's been requested as the star.  Better him than the hack we had in the last video... ;)

That kid can definitely ride the wheels off a motorcycle...

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 02:31:47 AM »
One small feature I always look for (and almost never find) in moto vids is a section where the pounding music flat out stops, leaving nothing to listen to but the near silence of the electric bike.

I know this feature figures highly in my attraction to these machines.

Maybe some clever director could work that in as one of the sub-themes. Near total silence when maneuvering at slow speed. Later, cut to the wind up on take off. And still later the high whine of WOT. And leave the music OFF each time long enough for the sound to be savored.

Who knows, maybe teenagers in the future will dream of owning their own whine, like guys in my generation dreamed of straight pipes!

I remember, soon after I built my electric bike, pulling alongside an electric trolley in San Francisco, and feeling a gut-level affinity for the sound of that 440V motor taking off from the curb. Ah, my bike's big brother!

All I'm trying to say: get as visceral as you can.