Author Topic: Boney here, checking in  (Read 1752 times)

boney

• View Profile
Boney here, checking in
« on: December 06, 2010, 12:50:50 PM »
Aloha all,

I'm an avid motorcyclist and technophile in the Northern SF Bay Area who is closely watching the development of electric motorcycles. I'll be specifically watching the development of the Empluse 10.0 as it is the only electric bike that appears to be headed toward production that will fulfill my "needs." Nothing is close here, not even my job.

So far, I like what I see.

Tom

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Boney here, checking in
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 12:53:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Boney.  A lot of us are watching the development of the Empulse -- you certainly have an advantage, in that you're located near SF, which is an active area for electric motorcycle development.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 01:24:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I hope you find our forum to be a good source of Empulse news.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
Good to have ya....

What is your commute and at what speeds?

The Enertia Plus might also be an alternative...and would save some bucks.

Gavin

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 06:20:24 PM »
Welcome Tom. My daughter lives in Fairfax and I have a 10.0 on order, as I figure it is just the tool to get me from Pacifica to Fairfax and back when I visit her and my grandkids.

See you on the road.

Richard
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

boney

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:23:07 PM »
Good to have ya....

What is your commute and at what speeds?

The Enertia Plus might also be an alternative...and would save some bucks.

Gavin

I've got a 47 mile commute at highway speeds. Even with an Empulse 10.0 that would be a stretch if I didn't have a place to plug it in while there. Of course, the commute home is about as long as I want to make it and a full charge would be fun.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 05:03:18 PM »
I've got a 47 mile commute at highway speeds. Even with an Empulse 10.0 that would be a stretch if I didn't have a place to plug it in while there. Of course, the commute home is about as long as I want to make it and a full charge would be fun.

speculation
I would expect a 47 mile commute at highway speeds to use around 2/3 of the battery pack.. maybe a smidge more.

If you can charge at work, then you can be back up to a full pack in 6 ish hours.

47 mile commute on back roads (avg 50 mph) will probably only use 1/2 of the battery pack. So a little more room to play with.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

oobflyer

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 01:05:38 AM »
Hi Boney,

I just joined this forum - I live in Stockton. I bought a Vectrix from the San Rafael BMW dealer in 2008. I've ridden motorcycles for 40+ years. I'm looking forward to riding this electric sport bike - I pre-ordered the Empulse 10.0

I heard that the San Rafael BMW dealer closed - is that true?

I plan to pick up the Empulse from the San Carlos Best Buy (I test-rode the Enertia there). If they deliver it with a full charge I should be able to ride it home from there (with a stop at a friend's place in Discovery Bay for a brief charge).

My commute is about 40 miles round trip, so I have to charge at work now, but looking forward to the extra range.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 10:57:42 AM »
Hi oobflyer.  I can verify that San Rafael BMW closed its doors last year. That was where I took my first test ride on a Vectrix. I liked it a lot, but it was just too big to fit into my garage along with my other six motorcycles.

I too have ordered an Empulse 10.0 and also plan to pick it up at the Best Buy San Carlos store - assuming that they are still selling the bikes there by then.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

oobflyer

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 11:18:25 PM »
When I bought my Vectrix at the San Rafael BMW dealer it was a busy, thriving business. I wonder what happened.

After I bought my Vectrix there, a motorcycle dealer in Roseville started selling the Vectrix. Roseville is much closer to where I live in Stockton, but when I called them to see about service they had decided not to continue servicing the Vectrix after the bankruptcy. I'm curious to see what the new Vectrix has planned, but whatever it is I'm still really looking forward to the Empulse - there's just no comparison in range, speed and design (for an electric bike).