Poll

:)

:)
0 (0%)
:))
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: My Empulse Test Ride Experience  (Read 3802 times)

Vibetrippin

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: My Empulse Test Ride Experience
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2012, 01:31:54 PM »
imagine an aero fairing touring bike, say 20 kWh ~100 Wh/mile @ 70 mph (7 kW or 0.35C discharge). Discharge from 80% to 20% (12 kWh) yields 120 miles range, requires 103 minutes. 2C charge from 20% to 80% would require approximately 18 minutes (roughly 1 hour riding per 10 minutes charging).

And here you have 95% of the motorcycle community. Most people never exceed that. I'm more than willing to do a long road trip on my bike but after 120 miles I'd like to take a leak and get a coffee or a bite to eat so that would work perfectly. I'm just envisioning all the truck stops in north america having a handful of chargers out front with electric cruisers parked at them while bikers sit inside refueling themselves.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »
imagine an aero fairing touring bike, say 20 kWh ~100 Wh/mile @ 70 mph (7 kW or 0.35C discharge). Discharge from 80% to 20% (12 kWh) yields 120 miles range, requires 103 minutes. 2C charge from 20% to 80% would require approximately 18 minutes (roughly 1 hour riding per 10 minutes charging).

And here you have 95% of the motorcycle community. Most people never exceed that. I'm more than willing to do a long road trip on my bike but after 120 miles I'd like to take a leak and get a coffee or a bite to eat so that would work perfectly. I'm just envisioning all the truck stops in north america having a handful of chargers out front with electric cruisers parked at them while bikers sit inside refueling themselves.

yep...this...when I do a long ride I am A) either with a group of people and we stop a lot (scooters usually have small tanks...and scooterist smaller bladders) or am B) going alone and don't mind stopping and getting a bite to eat...or stopping and checking out the town...or stopping and just staring at the sky...

If I can get a touring/city bike that goes 120 miles on the highway (so 200 in the city), I would be a happy boy...over kill for the city, but good range for going from "gas stop to gas stop"....

maybe in a few years...

(ps...need a touring tester Brammo? oh boy can I do some long distance riding. :)  )

Gavin
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:49:13 PM by Gavin »

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 11:57:38 AM »
Faster chargers are heavier, and more expensive - there's a weight and cost tradeoff for batteries vs fast chargers. Here's an example combined charger/control system, Netgain's Pulsar:
http://www.ngcontrols.com/pulsar.php

* 24 kW AC charging (240V 100A), J1772 compatible, up to 150 kW DC level 3
* motor controller supports up to 370V battery pack, 500A (185 kW)
* liquid cooled
* 34 pounds (not including liquid, radiator, fans, tubing)
* 18.5x14.5x5.5 inches

In comparison, here's the 2012 Zero's discrete charger and controller:
* Sevcon Gen 4 Size 4 controller, 8.9x6.6x3.1 inches, around 10 pounds
* DeltaQ QuiQ 1 kW charger, 11x9.7x4.3 inches, around 13 pounds

Better size comparison:
http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/35769-Netgain-Pulsar-vs-Sevcon-Size-4-vs-Delta-Q-QuiQ-DCI

Ahh, here's the one I was looking for.

BRUSA has a 22 kW AC charger, NLG6. Pretty sure Volvo is trialing this in their C30 EVs now.

* 22 kW AC charging (240V 96A 3 phase), J1772 compatible (but 16A max for J1772? not sure how they're charging 3 phase)
* liquid cooled
* 26 pounds
* 19.8x13.9x3.3 inches

About twice the volume and weight of the Zero's 1 kW charger. The BRUSA charger is more suitable for higher voltage 300-400v packs like the race bikes or EV cars.. but still, there are new options opening up for onboard chargers.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 03:44:41 PM »
Proto - maybe you can answer this.  My impression is that bulky on-board chargers are only really needed for AC charging, but that DC charging requires very little on board - which would be a big boon for smaller EVs like motorcycles.

But, perhaps I'm misinformed and you still need quite a bit of circuitry and heat sink even if you are charging from DC?  How much volume and weight would supporting Chademo (or similar DC charging) add to the vehicle?
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »
I believe it's just a small control board and the inlet. Probably a couple pounds and minimal volume.

Here's an project to build an open CHAdeMO interface:
http://code.google.com/p/open-chademo/

You definitely would want to monitor the battery temperature closely.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

oobflyer

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 07:36:57 AM »
Interesting discussion - my Leaf can charge via 120V (NEMA), 240V (J1772), or the 480V CHAdeMO charging. I had trouble getting an electrician to install a new, separate circuit for my J1772 plug, so I did it myself. It really wasn't difficult. The charging unit (LeGrand) cost $500, the wire/circuit breaker, etc., was another $100.

The whole chicken/egg thing is a pain - if the infrastructure were in place - more people would buy EVs. If more people had EVs the demand would spur infrastructure growth. Meanwhile, it would be nice to have a backup option of 120V charging. Of course Nissan has much more space on their cars for various charging options.

Getting back to the test ride - I'm curious about the transmission - how did it compare to riding an electric bike without a transmission?

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2012, 10:15:45 PM »
Getting back to the test ride - I'm curious about the transmission - how did it compare to riding an electric bike without a transmission?

I've only test ridden the 2012 Zero and I very much enjoyed the no-shift, silent, magic carpet feeling of a belt drive and no tranny. But I missed the off-the-line acceleration I've come to depend on during my all-day on-the-job use in San Francisco. When I've squeezed in between the lanes and worked my way up to a stoplight, I don't want to have to guess if I can shoot out in front of my neighbors when the light turns green.

The Empulse test ride removed that drawback.

I didn't shift it much (1st is good to 60 mph) but I found that the tranny did, as Craig has indicated, restore the sense of a "real motorcycle" to the ride experience. More than anything I appreciated the considerable "engine braking" when downshifting. The regen in 1st is considerable and is gonna save me a bundle in brake pads.

I'm sure the shifting will feel even more appropriate once I get out outside the confines of the city streets of my test ride. Can't wait!