Author Topic: Motley Fool misses the mark  (Read 1311 times)

Auslander

• Empulse Guru
  • Ich bin ein Auslander
    • View Profile
Re: Motley Fool misses the mark
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 11:50:31 PM »
Honestly, I just don't see a market for an electric HD.  Example:
I commuted to work in Austin on my bikes, BMW and my Brammo E+.  Get to work on the Brammo one day, and as I'm removing my gloves and helmet a guy parks next to me on his HD and has to gun his engine right prior to killing it (which is bad, leaves unburnt fuel in the cylinders, which trickles down to the rings).

But, that mentality, the "gun 'er for the grunt and grumble" is just _so_ stereotypical HD rider.  Younger and newer riders looking for something green (or, just inexpensive) have a specific mindset, and it puts them diametrically opposed to the likes of HD.  Also, $30k is well out of their budget.  HD's sales have been sagging partially because they honestly lack market savvy (many examples exist, include ceasing the V Rod production, their most reliable and best performing bike, as well as scrapping Buell before realizing that it was actually rather profitable).  They don't understand the market for eMotos, they don't understand the mindset (or the wallets) of the people looking to buy one.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 09:19:57 AM »
I see the Livewire as being a advertising tool for H-D.  One that will give them a nice free promotional boost in the general world press and also brownie (greenie?) points with government regulators in both the U.S. and the E.U.  I doubt they will make any profit on the Livewire venture.  ;)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Drivingthefuture

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 06:14:32 AM »
Wow @auslander you make a lot of good points