Author Topic: Brammo Engage dyno pull  (Read 8589 times)

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Re: Brammo Engage dyno pull
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 03:22:20 PM »
Woohoo! Look at it go! ;D

That was a very curious test. Would anybody care to comment on what it means?

Some points of observation:
  • No shifting gears this time, but the bike was still going at 108 km/h (67 mph)!
  • That line was very straight. Was a computer controlling the throttle, was it WOT, or someone with a steady hand?
  • It looked like the graph had already been drawn before the wheel stopped turning - I wonder what the graph is showing.
  • The aspect ratio is messed up. The last time they did that, IET re-posted the video with the correct aspect ratio, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did that again.

I don't have any experience with a dyno, so I have no idea what it can do or show (besides top speed).

I dimly recall seeing a graph like this some time ago that compared a Brammo Enertia, a Native S and a Zero S.
(Hey, I found it again!)

Wow. At the time, the Zero had the highest HP, at 20.8 hp. 2 years later, the Engage has more than doubled that!

For a fun look at the state of the art two years ago, check out the full article:
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2010-ebike-shootout-89839.html
Richard #935 #595 #44

craigq

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 04:10:12 PM »
Woohoo! Look at it go! ;D

That was a very curious test. Would anybody care to comment on what it means?

I think it means we need some more specs from Brammo on the Engage... batttery capacity and some standardized testing range results (UDDS?), if that 49CV is done at a 1:1 ratio (or corrected)  etc  :)

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »
Usually when a car is run on a dyno it will be a run through a single gear (4th or 5th, typically the gear closest to 1:1 is used).

The graph plots power vs RPM (either dyno roller RPM or calculated motor RPM); by the time the camera started to pan up, the motor and dyno roller was spinning down from its peak RPM and therefore all the data displayed had been captured. The graph could easily be doctored, of course, but assuming it's not..

Power is basically proportional to torque times RPM. A linear power curve as seen here (and also for most of the Zero dyno above) means that the torque is flat, eg you get the same amount of force at the wheel no matter how fast the motor is spinning.

It's reasonable to assume (but retain suspicion) that the dyno has been calibrated properly - but just because the motor is mounted on an Engage doesn't mean that what we're seeing is (or is not) the shipping-intent Engage motor. SMRE could be using the Engage as a testbed for new motors.

For example, the Empulse motor. We've long been told that the Empulse motor is 40 kW (peak). The recent LATimes article at the Long Beach motor show indicated that we might see a bit more power. 40 kW peak motor power is about 54 hp; 49 hp at the wheel is pretty good.

Compare to the Enertia, which is rated at 13 kw = 17.4 hp. If the dyno is accurate, then roughly 77% of the rated motor power is available at the wheel. Using the same ratio for SMRE's test gives a motor power around 64 hp, or 47 kW.

Does the Engage have a 47 kW motor, or is this something else? I'd like to know : )
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:37:38 PM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 07:35:59 PM »
I was hoping the plus might get a HP bump

I thought 25 HP was a nice number :)

But 50 HP is quite a bit for that sized bike

Gavin

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 08:36:54 PM »
According to the Zero S/DS owners manual the 2012 Zero produces 12 hp continuous and one of the company's developers claims it makes 28 hp peak (presumably before it gets too hot).  So it sounds like the Engage is pretty peppy and you don't want to race it if you are riding a Zero.

Which brings up an interesting question.  How do you match up electric motorcycles in a race so that you have a race worth watching?  Claimed HP, weight, kWh, run what you brung, something else, no doubt?   
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 09:03:43 PM »
No rider, no hand on throttle
Must be computer controlled

Or

Ghost Rider

Gavin

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 04:19:19 PM »
Some points of observation:
  • The aspect ratio is messed up. The last time they did that, IET re-posted the video with the correct aspect ratio, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did that again.

Well how about that. As predicted; the video has disappeared! I hope that they only took it down so that they can put up a better version. If not, then: what a tease! At least we got to see it for a few hours. :P
Richard #935 #595 #44