Author Topic: What's it really going to cost?  (Read 1742 times)

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
What's it really going to cost?
« on: January 16, 2012, 07:09:49 PM »
I wonder if the price of the Empulse is still going to be $14k when the bike finally comes out. The original price was based on 110v charging, single gear, one person only.

Now that it looks like the bike will have J1772 charging, IET shifter, room for 2 and who knows how many other improvements, is it still going to cost $14k, or is Brammo going to say, "sorry folks, there's been a bit of a price hike". (I think that Tesla did something like that with their Roaster.)

Perhaps the price of batteries have dropped enough to offset the new stuff, or perhaps Brammo factored in future enhancements when they set the price (all those years ago). In any case, I'm curious to know what the final price will actually be.

Richard #935 #595 #44

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: What's it really going to cost?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »
If the bike is made in Europe, as seems to be the case, Brammo and is customers might just luck-out.  The Euro is tanking and may get lower, relative to the US dollar, as the EU sort of implodes due to its member countries' budget overruns and the value of their bonds drop like a rock as their ratings fall.  That should make the cost of products made in EU countries drop in the U.S. So it might be that the price of the Empulse will be lower than $14K when it is introduced here, even with all of the upgrades. 

I sort of recall that Brammo dropped the price of the Enertia from $12K to $8K when it first came out, which pretty much put a stake in the heart of the EMS GPR-S (and my dealer), and did nothing for Zero sales until their 2011 models came out.  At that time it was made in the U.S., so you can't blame the currency exchange for that drop in price.

I'll bet Brammo is going to give the price of the Empulse and Enertia Plus a lot of thought before they are announced.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 10:11:20 PM »
If its true that the Empulse 6.0.and 8.0 are no more then it may make sense to drop the price of the 10.0 to  (retain) those who pre-ordered the lower capacity versions possibly motivated by budget constraints. But also consider the price of the Engage (street version) which was originally announced at the 11995 price point. Not sure they have much room to move really... unless they adjust prices on both.

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 12:54:51 AM »
Eliminating the 6.0 and 8.0 may make production and distribution less expensive too.  Anytime you can make fewer parts, and more of the same thing costs go down.  I'm on the list for an 8.0, but I'd be perfectly happy getting a 10.0 for the same price I had planned to spend on the 8.0!   ;) 

That's also why I wouldn't care what color it comes in, because if making it in just one color reduces cost, I'm fine with black, or red, or whatever color they want to make the first year of Empulses.

To be realistic, I'm not really expecting a price reduction.  That's sort of a pipe dream for the first year of sales.  A price increase is more likely.  But then again if Brammo wants to completely crush Zero sales, all they have to do is undercut Zero's S ZF9 with a lower price for Brammo's 10.0.  If the 10.0 were within $500 dollars of the ZF6, that would completely undercut ZF6 sales too.  It depends upon how much Brammo wants to cut profits in order to corner market sales.