Author Topic: Empulse news in City Bike  (Read 1159 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Empulse news in City Bike
« on: January 29, 2012, 06:41:25 PM »
Today I picked up the February issue of (the monthly San Francisco newspaper publication) City Bike and I see in their "News, Clues & Rumors" column, on page 4, an item titled "Empulse-ive" (catchy, huh?).  It provides the usual description of the old Empulse, while adding the mention of the six-speed transmission and goes on as follows:

"The gearbox is a new feature, and some of our readers may have had something to do with it.  You may recall we speculated that Harley-Davidson hosted a secret electric-motorcycle test ride ("News, Clues," November 2011), but a City Bike reader we met while talking electric motors with the dreadlocked king of e-bikes, Scuderia's Don Lemelin, said that he was at the event, and yes, it sure looked a lot like a Brammo Empulse, and yes, it performed about as well as a Suzuki Gladius (the SV650's replacement). He also said (NDA be dammed) that many riders told the event hosts they wanted a gearbox. And boom, the Empulse's launch has been postponed while Brammo's engineers try to stuff a gearbox in there."

Then they go on to say: "Pie in the sky? Hardly: Brammo has been purchased by Polaris Industries, a behemoth with the deep pockets (and lucrative defense contracts) to get a product like this to market. Expect it this summer."

I won't comment on how much of this story is accurate, I'll let someone else do that.  I am just the messenger and I figured you would want to hear what City Bike had to say, especially as the paper is not widely circulated outside of the Bay Area.

I'll also comment that the Suzuki Gladius is no longer in Suzuki's 2012 lineup - poor thing. It must have been the name.   ::)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Empulse news in City Bike
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 03:37:28 AM »
Quick link back to Richard230's earlier post on the Harley electric:
http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=904.0

Iiinteresting.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/