Author Topic: No so much a trip report as a report on a trip....  (Read 1681 times)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
No so much a trip report as a report on a trip....
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:27:07 PM »
Get Brammo to Hawaii STAT....

Just spent a week on the Big Island and there are scooters everywhere.

Gas is over 4 bucks a gallon and the weather is perfect for riding.

As tourist, my wife and I put over 100 miles a day on our car as the Big Island is big...but locals don't need that range daily...and the other Islands are much much smaller (all the other Hawaiian Islands could fit inside the Big Island).

And Hawaii is concerned with both oil use and pollution...so lots of Brammos make sense....I wish I had the Enertia with me (well the Enertia Plus I guess as our hotel was about 35 miles north of Kona).

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: No so much a trip report as a report on a trip....
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 12:56:44 PM »
And yes I rode the Enertia in today...but going from getting up and out at 75 degrees to 30 degrees was a bit of a shock to the system :)

Also of note...I left the Enertia charging when I left...so 8 days of conditioning the battery is ok...

I do wonder how much electricity is used in conditioning? Probably not much, but I really have no idea

Gavin

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:52:10 PM »
I still maintain that electric vehicles on a (largely) oil-powered grid don't make a lot of sense in terms of displacing oil consumption.

Edit: above rudeness aside, I hope you enjoyed your trip! Mid 30s to mid 40s in AL now, eager to see temps go up.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:49:44 PM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 02:12:05 PM »
oh, I agree...and I didn't take it as any rudeness

I always assume electric vehicles and solar/wind/hydro go together...

I have solar on my house and IF I lived on Hawaii I would have solar there too.

Hawaii is horrid about using gas, but I hope to see that change....

I will say that we stayed a night at a B&B near Hilo and it was 100% hydro powered (they have their own waterfall).

And there are Wind Farms on both the North Coast and the South Coast (we saw them both).

I did see some solar, but not nearly enough.

But get more EVs and I bet there will also be a growth in alternative electrical production.

Gavin

http://www.waterfall.net/hydroelectric.html

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 05:25:28 PM »
And yes I rode the Enertia in today...but going from getting up and out at 75 degrees to 30 degrees was a bit of a shock to the system :)

Also of note...I left the Enertia charging when I left...so 8 days of conditioning the battery is ok...

I do wonder how much electricity is used in conditioning? Probably not much, but I really have no idea

Gavin

Time to invest in a Kill-a-Watt meter.   :)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:11:01 AM »
Will do Richard...thanks

on a slightly related note:

1) is it wrong that a number of times I was thinking, "Dang, this would be the perfect place to take a picture of the Enertia" while in Hawai'i? The Black Sand Beach...The Rainforest...The Volcano...all would have looked even better with an Enertia in my photos :)

2) Hawai'i did kill my riding for 8 days and really put a dent in my numbers (I had hoped to have the Enertia up to 2000 miles by now...at 1800 and hoping to get to 2000 in a week...not bad as my commute is only 50 miles a week and I am averaging almost 3x that---around 140 miles a week on the E). Even worse was the fact that we wanted to cover the whole Island and I spent 854 miles in a freakin' CAGE those days...grrrrr.

Gavin