Author Topic: Mileage update....  (Read 11442 times)

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Mileage update....
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2013, 07:20:10 AM »
Just hit 10k today.

4.5 months since the last update at 7k. I've been riding it a little less in the winter, but also glitches have made it somewhat less reliable recently. Will be taking it to the dealer Friday for servicing.

10k miles = time to celebrate!

1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2013, 08:22:17 AM »
Nice!  How long have you owned your bike?  I guess it's getting a little worn down now... time for an upgrade to an Empulse?  ;)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2013, 12:37:05 PM »
Nice turn of the odo. I've just passed 5K on the Empulse and lovin' it more every week! BTW, how do you like the windshield? (I won't ask about the pizza!)

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2013, 01:09:58 PM »
I bought the bike 15 months ago. It's been offline for 2 months to send it back to Zero for glitch service, and 1 month after I laid it down @ 20 mph (replace plastics and kickstand). I figured 10k miles every year, so about on target.

There's very little mechanical wear on the bike. The drive belt is like-new - Zero says replace every 12.5k miles, but they updated their replacement intervals to 25k miles on the 2013 bikes. I installed the $100 windscreen - huge improvement - but at full steering lock the handlebar mounts scuff the upper plastics a bit.

In a couple of weeks I plan to drive to El Paso, TX to visit friends. En route I'm going to stop at Lone Star in Austin and check out the Empulse there. I'm going to leave my credit card in the car, possibly in a double lock box and forget the combination..

Selling the Zero and upgrading to a 2013 Zero S ZF11.4 or Empulse E1 would likely cost around $7k, including the tax credit. I can't justify that right now, but I'll be tracking used prices for both bikes. Otherwise I may be ready to buy new in a couple of years.

A less expensive but more labor-intensive alternative to buying a new bike would be to do half the upgrades Terry has done. Retain the stock battery pack on the bike, but add 6 kW of J1772 chargers and Terry's aero fairing. Probable cost around $3k, and it would make 200 mile trips to Atlanta reasonable to do on the bike: each way would require 4 hours of riding and 2 hours of mid-trip charging.

@Shinysideup: the windshield is great. I installed it toward the end of the cold season here and immediately wished I'd had it on at the start. It also slightly improves - perhaps by 5% - both range and top speed.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2013, 03:23:38 PM »
I was hoping to hit 40.000km this week but my bike died completely while I was accellerating from traffic lights in Amsterdam yesterday.
Even the speedo needle got stuck at 45km/h to tell me at which speed it had died  :'(

I hope it is just the 200 Amp main fuse that has blown otherwise it will be very expensive (Motor Controller).

It was very weird not plugging the bike in before going to sleep yesterday, a routine that after 3,5 years has become so natural that I constantly thought I had forgotten something.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2013, 05:37:12 PM »
Congrats!!

I'm at 2150 miles, or about 3500k, on the Empulse.

I've thought of a windshield (especially the times I've had it over 90mph...gah, hanging on for dear life...don't know how long it will be before I'm brave enough to break the ton)...but I love the naked look so much.

El Paso is only about 3.5 hours from Albuquerque...you should stop on by.

As for range...well I might make that a separate post.

G