Author Topic: Brammo Enertia on the dyno  (Read 1281 times)

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Brammo Enertia on the dyno
« on: February 18, 2012, 08:26:32 AM »
Here's a video of the Enertia on a dyno.

Thanks to Luke (a.k.a. liveforphysics) on elmoto's website for this.

Read a discussion about that video here:
http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?2069-Brammo-Enertia-on-the-dyno
Richard #935 #595 #44

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Re: Brammo Enertia on the dyno
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 09:08:43 AM »
Some interesting quotes from the elmoto discussion:

As a benchmark, the 2012 Zero DS makes about 2.5x the power and accelerates with about double the torque at all RPM points, and then continues to pull past 80mph rather than dying out around 58mph.

Good to see that a 2012 bike is significantly better than a 2009 bike. :P

On ES, a fellow named BrammoBrian replied that our Enertia may have something wrong that makes it a bit down on power, he says healthy ones do 15hp. So, this may be a power measurement of an un-healthy example of an Enertia.

If there is something "unhealthy" with the bike, I wonder if there is a way for the everyday Joe (i.e. someone without a Dyno) to find out. I would think that the computer might say something, but apparently it didn't, else Luke would have mentioned it.

Perhaps the loss was not significant enough for the software to register an error.
Richard #935 #595 #44

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:07:50 AM »
Don't forget that every dyno is different and can be adjusted by the operator to indicate lower or higher power outputs (I assume that that feature is so it can be calibrated).  I suspect this is something that is done by companies making slip-on mufflers for IC motorcycles to show that slipping on a loud muffler will give your bike more power.  Just spin that dial on the dyno and more power will appear.   ;)

I might add that the same thing can occur with speedometers. I discovered that the speedometer on my GPR-S provided a 20% higher speed than the actual speed (as indicated by those radar speed check signs).  I found a small button at the back of the display that could be adjusted to change the base settings on the instrument to get it to read anything that you wanted. So I adjusted it to accurately reflect my true speed and distance traveled.

I am not saying that this dyno is reading low, but that one dyno can give different power readings compared with another. It all depends upon a lot of variables, some controlled by the operator and many out of his control (such as built into the machine and wear or maintenance related).  I wouldn't be too concerned about the actual power reading unless you can get a get another bike on the same dyno and compare both results against each other.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:21:12 PM »
The video was deleted. According to liveforphysics:

After thinking about Brians suggestion that something may be causing this bike to down on power, I decided on my own accord to pull this vid. I would like to know 100% that it's a healthy bike, and Brian thinks it may not be.

I still think that if there was an issue with the bike, the bike itself should have reported it. I would be curious to see how this is resolved. Is the lack of HP deemed an acceptable deficiency? Is that something that can be fixed? Is the bike still under warranty?

Hopefully liveforphysics will be able to answer those questions in the near future.
Richard #935 #595 #44