Author Topic: Hollywood Electric...Throwing the smack down around  (Read 2957 times)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Hollywood Electric...Throwing the smack down around
« on: March 06, 2012, 03:19:27 PM »
Actually kinda cute....Never a fan of people calling competitors Vaporware, especially when they know the product is being made...but it is what it is...could be a good deal...

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Still-waiting-for-vaporware--We-ll-give-you--1000-cash-back-on-your-Zero-Motorcycle-.html?soid=1105133109120&aid=FW0DOlNk9x8

Since Brammo will have the Empulse out they could end up paying some money...but not likely much...most of the early deposit people who would get their bikes early probably won't bail...and the later deposit people wouldn't have had their bikes...

I wonder if Richard can get his 1000 bucks?

Gavin
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:29:09 PM by Gavin »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hollywood Electric...Throwing the smack down around
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 03:26:31 PM »
I wonder what they mean by:
"*Some restrictions apply"

The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 03:32:39 PM »
Re-reading it...it looks like if Brammo delivers even 1 bike by Oct 2012 that Hollywood will pay...Ouch...that could sting.

On a related note...those are some pretty good offers....0 down, 0% financing.

Somebody is willing to lose some money on each bike OR Zero has a very large mark up on their prices....

Of course I wouldn't mind a bit of a price war :)

Gavin

Richard...I would run over to Hollywood Electrics and make sure you are included in this offer.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »
I wonder what they mean by:
"*Some restrictions apply"

You could ask Harlan...he hangs here from time to time...like now :)

screen capture for the people who dont or cant click through...and to help Richard get his 1000 bucks back later this year... :)

Gavin

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 04:05:01 PM »
They're pretty vague with the wording -- I think it's pretty obvious they're talking about Brammo, but it's not clear whether they're talking about the Enertia Plus or the Empulse.

Either way I think they're going to lose the bet - which probably means the dealer markup for the bikes is at least $1000.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 04:25:47 PM »
It could be read as two ways: (and I like Harlan...I really hope he does well...seems like a nice guy and cares quite a bit about pushing electric vehicles.)

1) Hollywood Electrics knows something we don't and has info that Brammo will not have their bikes out before the end of Oct.

or

2) The Zeros are not selling too well and they are trying to get some business (nobody offers discounts and great financing on items that are hard to keep in stock...the old supply and demand.)

a possible third option

3) They believe there are only a small amount of people out there who want electric motorcycles and if they can quickly sell them Zeros that Brammo will not have customers and will go out of business...but that is a double edged sword...if the market is really that small and limited, well Zero will go down too....

What both Zero and Brammo is hoping for is a growth market vs a small, stagnant market.

Gavin

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 04:49:28 PM »
Harlan is a salesman. His goal is to sell motorcycles. I believe he's sold Brammo bikes in the past, and I don't doubt (this offer non-withstanding) that he would sell them again if he could. Right now he has no Brammo bikes to sell, and tbh I don't think many Enertias have been sold at all since Brammo announced the Enertia Plus.

1) Or some restrictions apply. I doubt this applies to the Enertia Plus, since Brammo has announced a E+ delivery date and I believe they will make it.

2) The financing is pretty good for motorcycles, but I doubt it's that much of a financial boon. Primarily it's just to get customers on bikes that don't have $14k to drop up front. I believe their interest rates are 0% for 12 months or 5% for a longer period. 0% financing on a $14k purchase probably costs around $200-300.

3) I believe recent census statistics were around 2% of the US population commutes primarily via motorcycle.

Our work campus is a couple thousand people, on a nice sunny day I see typically 10 or fewer motorcycles parked outside.

Nissan sold about 10k leafs in its first year. While on the one hand that's good for new technology, it's still very small in the grand scheme of things. There's a lot of interest in EVs, but not many are willing to take the plunge yet. I suspect Brammo and Zero combined sales to date have numbered in the low hundreds.

As range increases and gas rises, interest will grow. As prices drop, buyers will appear. As sales increase, they'll start to be able to take advantage of economies of scale.

But first they have to have bikes to sell.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 06:13:55 PM »
I bought my bike from Mission Motorcycles in Daly City, CA.  I doubt very much that they will make an offer like that. From what they tell me, they are selling all of the Zero models that they can get. Even the left-over 2011 bikes on their showroom floor are selling well (I was told that they sold 5 in one week) and they only had a couple left the last time I was up there. I think they also only had 2 of the 2012 models.  But that is the San Francisco/San Mateo County/Marin County market. Lots of money, very green, not afraid to be an early-adopter and gas prices here are going up daily.  My guess is the EV sales are better in the Bay Area than just about anywhere in the U.S. - including much of the L.A. area, where Harlan hangs out.

The other comment I will make is that I doubt that any retailer knows the electric motorcycle market better than Harlan.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:16:47 PM by Richard230 »
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 10:41:43 PM »
Perhaps "waiting for a Brammo" was a common reason people gave for not buying a Zero, and instead of having people wait around for a few more months for a Brammo to show up, Hollywood Electrics would rather be selling bikes right now.

Still, that seems a bit risky to me, since if I want to buy a Zero for $1k less, it would appear that I just need to say that I'm waiting to buy an Enertia Plus. I would be pretty surprised Brammo failed to deliver one by October 31, so that would be a pretty safe bet. And if Brammo doesn't deliver, then heck, I was going to buy a Zero anyway.

Of course there could be some fine print that says that the bike has to be available by October 31 to the customer who bought the Zero, rather than available to any customer. If that were the case, then I would not be surprised if they didn't have to pay much at all. If Brammo is going to deliver the pre-orders before delivering to dealerships, then who knows when the first bikes will be available to the dealerships? Then only the folks who already have a pre-order (with a low number), might end up getting the $1k.

Finally, this looks like a little bit of prodding at Brammo. Get those bikes out before everybody who wants an electric bike ends up buying a Zero first.

One (very optimistic) outcome of the HE offer is that someone buys a Zero, gets the $1k, but turns around and sells it second hand (for $1k cheaper) when the Brammo becomes available. More e-bikes on the road! w00t!

In any case, I wish Harlan and his crew all the best. Sell electric motorcycles guys! Sell many, many of them!
Richard #935 #595 #44

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 06:53:24 PM »
Just read a post from Harlan of Hollywood electrics over at elmoto.net. Apparently Hollywood Electrics is offering $1k cash back on a Zero purchased now if the ebike you are waiting for is delivered before the END of October. To me this is a wager that we wont see Brammo Enertia+ or Empulse deliveries before November... Harlan seems to be a guy in the know, which genuinely has me very concerned:
http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?2020-2012-Brammo-(Enertia-Plus-amp-Empulse)-Delivery-schedule-..../page5

With riding season just around the corner... I want a better idea of what is going on. I have a bike to sell (GSXR750) before I can buy my Empulse, but I also want to ride this season. No Brammo by November means no riding season on an electric bike for me, again.  :-[

Brammo says things are on schedule, but what does that mean exactly if we have no idea what the schedule entails?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:01:08 PM by EmpulseBuyer »

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 07:08:48 PM »

or

2) The Zeros are not selling too well and they are trying to get some business (nobody offers discounts and great financing on items that are hard to keep in stock...the old supply and demand.)

From what I have been told by Harlan, January was their biggest month and they have actually had trouble keeping them is stock so I don't think number 2 is the reason. I do admit it is some bold marketing and has gotten then some attention. Whether it is intended to be aggressive towards Brammo is only known to those at Hollywood Electrics.

It would be great if Hollywood Electrics sold Brammo as they did have an Enertia in the store a while back. Harlan even took them to the Bob's Big Boy Friday Night Classic Car Shows in Burbank. See my video of such a night with Harlan there on the Enertia.

I think it would be great if Harlan sold Brammos as well because they do know their stuff and are dedicated to electric transportation. But in reality, the more electric motorcycles that are sold regardless of the maker, the better off we all are.

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 08:07:02 PM »
Thread talking about this here:

http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=1103.0

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 08:20:21 PM »
Yes, I'll probably combiner these thread into one.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 08:25:22 PM »
Thread talking about this here:

http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=1103.0

Yeah, Thanks...

Im a bone head and forgot about that thread...

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 09:12:18 PM »
From what I have been told by Harlan, January was their biggest month and they have actually had trouble keeping them is stock so I don't think number 2 is the reason. I do admit it is some bold marketing and has gotten then some attention. Whether it is intended to be aggressive towards Brammo is only known to those at Hollywood Electrics.

Harlan at elmoto.net:
Hollywood Electrics was the Number One Zero Dealer in 2011 and we have already sold more Zeros in 2012 than we did in all of 2011.

In absolute terms, that's not a lot of bikes. But the 2012 Zeros are selling quite well.