Author Topic: Susan Carpenter's LA Times article  (Read 3185 times)

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Susan Carpenter's LA Times article
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 11:02:55 AM »
From Brammos reply on Facebook I am under the impression that something (ANYTHING!!!) will be revealed yesterday today...  The least Brammo could do is give us a teaser image of the production Empulse. I guess all we can do is cross our fingers, and continue to wait, very patiently...

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 10:32:58 PM »
Another day has come and gone... I hope Susan's article comes out soon (unless it has already come out and nobody noticed).
Richard #935 #595 #44

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 10:02:58 AM »
Hasn't shown up yet... apparently it's still in the works.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 10:33:59 AM »
I think it's fair to assume* Ms. Carpenter's article is independent from the actual Empulse launch details. Brammo will deliver the details when they're ready, not when one particular reporter has an article prepared.

Just so that's clear..

Edit: words, words, words..
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:34:48 PM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 10:35:33 AM »
Definitely.  I'd be surprised to see anything we'd consider "new" in her article. 

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 11:43:05 AM »
Yes I appologize for the implication that we would see something new in the article...  :-\
I was under that impression based on a response from Brammo on Facebook. These guys are tricky at dodging directed requests for new information! Im sure they have good reasons though... just one such example would be the surprisingly familiar headlight on the new Zeros.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:45:02 AM by EmpulseBuyer »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 07:19:44 PM »
"In May, Brammo will begin production of its Empulse sport bike (priced at $10,000 to $14,000, depending on range) that's capable of 100-plus mph and 100 miles per charge in its top model."

If thats true then the wait was very much worth it... Im not sure whether to be excited or skeptical  :-\

I wonder if Brammo is going to pull a hat trick here!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:29:06 PM by EmpulseBuyer »

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 10:28:53 PM »
Nice to finally see the article. w00t!

Some observations:

"In May, Brammo will begin production of its Empulse sport bike (priced at $10,000 to $14,000, depending on range) that's capable of 100-plus mph and 100 miles per charge in its top model.

The company will also be turning out the Enertia Plus commuter ($11,000), which will have an 80-mile range."

• According to the article, Brammo is still intending on offering three ranges. :-)
  • The least expensive Empulse will be cheaper than the Plus. That might make sense since the Plus would have more range (80 miles) than the cheapest Empulse (60 miles), but seems suspicious to me.
  • The May date is pretty exciting, but somewhat surprising. I wonder what she means by "begin production"? That they will have finalized the specs and start building bikes that will end up in customers' hands, or that they will start to build bikes that will be available only for demos?
  • A few weeks ago, I email Brammo about the availability of the Empulse, and they said that they had planned to release the final specs in April. Considering that the Enertia specs came out in February, but the first bike isn't expected to be available until June (4 months), the Empulse schedule would appear to be going much faster.

"Brammo of Ashland, Ore., said sales of its Enertia were only in the hundreds."

Somebody on the Elmoto forum was claiming that Brammo had only sold 50 Enertias. I assume that Ms. Carpenter managed to get reliable figures form Mr. Bramscher. "In the hundreds" is still pretty low, but definitely more than 50.

Richard #935 #595 #44

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Susan Carpenter's LA Times article
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 11:33:19 PM »
I think May is pretty wonderful. And yes, I'm not sure what "in production"means, other than the obvious: building a final product that gets shipped out.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 02:48:09 AM »
Well now. I'm clearly wrong about no new information : P

The Enertia Plus doesn't have more range on a like-for-like comparison, it has a higher range specification because Brammo expects it to be operated at a lower speed. The EP's range spec is under the EPA UDDS / MIC city test (ave 20 mph), same as the Zero's city range .. Brammo states the Empulse range at a higher speed (likely ave 45 mph riding).

It will be awesome if Brammo can meet their 2010 price targets for the Empulse. And surprising.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 10:08:55 AM »
The pricing is probably based on old data since there are still the three models, which Brammo had indicated that they narrowed down to just the 1 (10.0). I really hope they either stick to around 14k or they make a lesser range version available for less. Also, I think the Enertia+ may carry a premium because its shipped from Hungary, that cant be cheap, no?

Deadly Silent Ninja

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 03:55:12 PM »
Damn, EmpulseBuyer, for a second there I thought I would have an affordable option. Back to the "how much can I get for that old crap in my closet" plan... :'(

Maybe Brammo will have some sort of 0% interest payment plan to compensate for the lack of incentives in many states...? Anyone from Brammo to take on the idea? How about Harlam? Polaris...? Anyone?    ::)

Vibetrippin

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 04:35:13 PM »
Protomech,

You've probably done the math so I'll just ask. From your comment I got the impression that the Empulse and the Enertia+ are equally efficient. Is that the case? If so that means that if a rider was capable of laying off the heavy right hand we should be able to see some very impressive ranges out of the 10.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 04:50:01 PM »
Damn, EmpulseBuyer, for a second there I thought I would have an affordable option. Back to the "how much can I get for that old crap in my closet" plan... :'(

Maybe Brammo will have some sort of 0% interest payment plan to compensate for the lack of incentives in many states...? Anyone from Brammo to take on the idea? How about Harlam? Polaris...? Anyone?    ::)

Protomech ran through the numbers and is speculating that there may be a cheaper version, possibly a 6.2 while the 10.0 would be a 9.3 using the same battery packs... dont give up hope yet... I think Brammo will find a way to keep the original 6.0 and 8.0 pre-order customers happy.