Author Topic: Wired briefly reviews the Enertia Plus  (Read 2459 times)

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Wired briefly reviews the Enertia Plus
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:23:16 AM »
http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/03/reviews_electricmotorcycles/

For $1,000 extra, the Plus doubles the range of the three-year-old base-model Enertia to 80 miles. That's more than enough for urban commuting, which is exactly what this bike was made for. Though it looks like it might have been designed by an Ikea focus group, the Enertia can handle city abuse, with a Marzocchi suspension and Brembo brakes more often seen on Ducatis. And in a refreshing twist, it not only hits but exceeds the claimed top speed of "60 mph plus" — we had it going nearly 70 mph uphill.

WIRED Relaxed position and twist-and-go operation make this an ideal first bike. Tight geometry is dialed for carving up traffic.
TIRED A passenger seat would be nice. Slowest in our test from a dead stop.

They got the price wrong (still using the old $9k price). Nearly 70 mph uphill is pretty good..
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Re: Wired briefly reviews the Enertia Plus
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:35:21 PM »
If you're in the market for an electric motorcycle, make sure you buy one with a brushless motor. Brushes can help generate more power, but they also collect debris and dramatically shorten motor life.

Interesting. I thought that the issue with brushes is that they tended to burn out over time, and so a brushed motor would need to have the brushes replaced somewhat regularly. Is that a baseless fear?
Richard #935 #595 #44

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 01:33:40 PM »

a new photo of the Plus?

also they need spell check

Buying Adive vs Advise

Gavin
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:36:16 PM by Gavin »

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:48:49 PM »
Advice, you mean? : D

If you're in the market for an electric motorcycle, make sure you buy one with a brushless motor. Brushes can help generate more power, but they also collect debris and dramatically shorten motor life.

Interesting. I thought that the issue with brushes is that they tended to burn out over time, and so a brushed motor would need to have the brushes replaced somewhat regularly. Is that a baseless fear?

They definitely can burn out if you pump lots of power through them - lots of burned up brushes from Agnis shown in the Charge documentary.

Zero doesn't list a replacement schedule for the brushes (2010-2011 S/DS), but I would expect you'd change them out every 10-20k miles. Zero lists the brushes for $250.

This is what Zero says in the 2010 S/DS Owner's Manual:
Motor
CAUTION: Wear safety glasses when using compressed air to avoid eye injury. The motor does not require much maintenance, but dust can collect inside the motor and can cause premature brush wear. If you ride in dusty conditions it is important to blow the dust out of the motor with compressed air. Do this only in a well ventilated area.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:02:40 PM by protomech »

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:56:51 PM »
I did that on porpoise...

:)

gavin

FrankH

• Empulse Guru
  • First Enertia+ in the Netherlands!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:19:21 PM »

TIRED A passenger seat would be nice. Slowest in our test from a dead stop.

Nearly 70 mph uphill is pretty good..

70mph is pretty good but why would it be slow from a dead stop? I remember reading that about a Zero before somewhere. How is the 'classic' doing from a dead stop?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:21:40 PM by FrankH »

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 02:26:11 PM »
I have no problem beating cars out of lights...

The beginning take off is a bit muted as Brammo doesn't want you pulling wheelies out of every light...And these electric bikes are slower than shifty ICE sport bikes...

so it depends on your background.

For me, I love the acceleration and have no issues...

Gavin

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »
I recall one motorcycle magazine tested the Enertia Classic at 16s 0-60. The motor plummets at a certain RPM, which on the EC is about 55 mph - acceleration before then is better than a 16s 0-60 would lead you to believe.

I tested my 2012 Zero S at 10s 0-60. It doesn't feel slow in practice over 20 mph, but that's slower than I would have expected.

Brammo may have regeared the E+ to raise the speed at which power plummets. This will increase the effective top speed, but it has the side effect of decreasing acceleration until the point of power drop-off.

The Enertia Classic has 4.9:1 gearing and produces 40Nm at the motor, so 197 Nm / 145 ft-lb at the rear wheel. It's in no danger of pulling a wheelie : P

Wheelbase 56", if CoG is in the center then you'd need about (320lbs bike + 200 lbs rider) * 28" = 1200 ft-lbs to wheelie. Maybe less with some creative positioning..

I bet the Empulse can loft the front wheel though..

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 04:20:14 PM »
I had a friend look at the 36V/48V D&D sepex motor on my 72V (nominal, 80V actual) GPR-S after 1000 miles of riding. He said the commutator was a mess and so were the brushes. He cleaned up both for me and put it back together.  I think running a lot of voltage through a PM brushed motor (more than it was designed for) is going to eat up brushes and those things sure get expensive, as noted on various electrical motor supply on-line stores. 

I do like the idea of a brushless motor. Is there any downside, other than perhaps the initial cost?
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.