Author Topic: Drive Motor power VIN designations  (Read 770 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Drive Motor power VIN designations
« on: March 20, 2012, 11:37:39 AM »
On page 1-5 of my 2012 Zero owner's manual, there is a VIN numbers designation break-down explanation. Reading from the left, the first three numbers, 538, mean "for use on the road"; the next letter, S, is the "motorcycle type" (S/DS platform); the next two numbers, M3, is the "model line"; the next two numbers "M3" is the "net brake horsepower" (9.1 kW or12.2 HP) and the rest of the numbers are the "model year" (C=2012), "plant location" (C=California), 'model" (A or B = S or DS); and the final numbers give the production number. This conforms to the VIN that is stamped on my headstock and on the sticker at the front of the frame.

So that means that the 2012 Zero S and DS models are rated by the manufacturer as having a 9.1 kW motor, producing 12.2 HP.  Zero claims to have tested their motor to 29 HP on a dyno. I am not quite sure how this VIN rating compares with short-term peak power, but it does seem kind of low and therefore must be very conservative and conform to some sort of industry or government standard. I wonder what that standard is and if we had this code, could we determine the relative power of an EV, compared to other electric vehicles by looking at the VIN?

Now my question here is, is this an industry standard measurement? And why is the HP number so low? I can see how 29 HP could not be produced for very long due to heat build up, but on the other hand, 12.2 HP seems a bit low, even during continuous use.  Does anyone know the story behind these HP numbers and the "M3" VIN category designation?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:48:42 AM by Richard230 »
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.