Author Topic: Huntington Beach to Laguna Beach along PCH  (Read 1356 times)

hbrider

• View Profile
    • Email
Huntington Beach to Laguna Beach along PCH
« on: March 26, 2012, 02:06:30 PM »
I've been riding every friday from Huntington Beach down to Main Street Laguna Beach in the morning after I take the kids to school.  My way of playing hookee now that I work from home ;D  Heres a few pics of the beautiful electric bike down in the main parking lot in Laguna where they provide chargers!  I much prefer these older Chargepoints with the door and standard wall socket.  I have a Rabbit Conversion that also uses these as I don't have J1772 connectors on my stuff, although I might put one on the VW rabbit.  Anyone care to look at my 4 wheel electric its posted at

http://www.evalbum.com/4204

I'll post the Brammo soon too, its such a wonderful bike I'm really enjoying it, and I've managed to use my own charger with it also, and I can talk with the batteries using a can/usb adapter and some C code.

Later
Steve

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Re: Huntington Beach to Laguna Beach along PCH
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 03:19:31 PM »
Strange, there isn't a throng of people (some wearing newspaper hats) taking photographs of your bike. Are EVs quite common over there?

Also, I would be curious to see how you could talk to the battery using a can/usb adapter. Any idea if you can get other data from the bike? I.e. Speed, State Of Charge, and the Odometer. I was thinking about developing some kind of app that can do the following:

Based on how far you want to travel, and a table of data that maps your speed to your energy usage, calculate the maximum speed that you can go.

The idea is that if you're going to approach the limit of your bike's range, you need to know just how fast you can go and still make the trip. So, if you enter 90 miles when the battery is at 100%, it's going to say "40 mph". If you ride more conservatively than expected (i.e. slower, or tucked behind the windshield) for some time, you could end up with more energy than expected, and it could say "45 mph".
Another example: you could enter 60 miles and the app would say "70 mph", but if you gunned it and went at 80 mph instead, the max speed would slowly drop. Ultimately, it might say "Start walking buddy!"

The idea is that as long as you see that max speed going up, you can be confident that you will be able to make the trip. You can even speed up a bit. If it's going down, then you had better slow down, or start planning on getting some juice.

It appears that the way that the Enertia works right now is that based on your SOC, it assumes a constant energy consumption and calculates a ranged based on that. That estimate is not all that accurate, as Gavin demonstrated (Trip meter said 22 miles, SOC 50%, but Range was only 16 miles).
Richard #935 #595 #44

Mr.Rodgers

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 06:41:17 PM »
I'm jealous of that ActiveE.

...and your Brammo, of course.
(somewhat)Patiently waiting

hbrider

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:19:01 AM »
Never found the Active-E owner, quite an impressive looking vehicle.  It had dealer plates from Beverly Hills.  Not sure if it was a prototype or someones ride but I'd take one if someone wanted to dontate it to me!  I love my Brammo its been fun for the first 3000 miles :)

Any CAN/USB interface would work with the batteries, then you need to parse the data strings in software on the PC.

Steve

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:22:44 AM »
edit....opps....
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:25:28 AM by Gavin »