Author Topic: 2010 Enertia dead (help!)>solved!  (Read 5155 times)

amped

• View Profile
    • Email
2010 Enertia dead (help!)>solved!
« on: February 01, 2016, 02:56:08 PM »
Greetings,
My Enertia died last friday. It's dead, dead, dead. It gave no warning, attempts to restart or charge the bike fails as in no power, no indication of power going to anything. The following is when, what happened and things I have checked in an effort to figure out what the solution is. If any of you can help it would be greatly appreciated. I have also sent an email to Adam over at Brammo, but have yet to hear from him.

I was riding the bike kind of hard the other day giving it frequent short burst of throttle and the bike all of a sudden went dead with no warning, about 30sec prior to dying the SOC was around 37% and when it died I think I was giving it another short squirt of throttle when I got nothing, I looked down at the instrument panel and realized that the bike had shut down. The low battery warning wasn't on prior to this happening, it just flat out died, I coasted to a stop and waited a few minutes and tried to start it again, but it was completely dead, no indications of life at all, also tried plugging in and charging it, still completely dead. One odd thing is the speedometer was frozen at 38mph, I assume that was the speed I was going at when it abruptly shut off.

The things I have tried so far to diagnose the problem are as follows:
*Checked all fuses and relays under seat with a multi-meter = all appear to be good
*Mini diode fuse' I think it's good? got a reading of 470 one way and infinity in the reverse of the diode check on the multi-meter
*Checked main power connector = Unplugged and plugged main power connector, made sure it was securely seated, didn't check pack voltage though.

I even read some place about a similar condition being fixed by hitting a reset button under the top tank body panel, the LED next to the button was not lit even after depressing the button for about 45secs-2min nothing changed, the LED didn't light up and the bike still showed no indication of starting up or charging. I had read that if the LED is red and you depress the button for 45secs it should change color, but in my case it was not lit at all.

At this point I'm stumped, are there other fuses that I should be checking that are hidden elsewhere on the bike? If it helps I'm also attaching the last two most recent LOG files in case something pops out at you. Hope you can get back to me as soon as you can. I've been really enjoying the Enertia and sucks that I have to return to riding my gas bike until I get this resolved.

As a continuation to my previous email concerning  my 2010 Enertia dead bike problem. I
found another fuse located near the two fans on top of the battery charger? It tested
good also, one thing I forgot to mention is when I was pulling the side panels off, a
small 3mm allen bolt about 10mm in overall length fell out from under the left side upper
side panel when I removed it. I haven't been able to tell where it went or if it may be
an important clue to why the bike shut down suddenly?

I also checked the voltage coming off of the main power connector near the top of the
right side frame rail and I think it's only reading about .25v can that be right?
Shouldn't I be reading the immediate battery pack voltage of around 80v? Help!

Thanks!

[UPDATE@148pm PST] sorry I posted the wrong LOG files, the 2 files now posted are the correct last 2 files. #483D8AE6 should be the file that show the power cut off.

[Problem solved] please jump to reply #9 for resolution.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:48:22 AM by amped »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2010 Enertia dead (help!)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 03:07:22 PM »
I forwarded this to someone else at Brammo. I hope they chime in.

I've never heard of anything quite like this, so I can't offer any help.

These bikes are generally bullet proof, but you never know. As for rocking the throttle like you were --- I mean, what other way is there to ride these things?  :)  And 37% SOC is not that close to the "danger zone," which begins, in my experience as a sort of "code yellow" at 20% and gets more serious at 10%.

Hope you hear back soon.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
2010 Enertia dead (help!)
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »
I had something similar with my Vectrix a few years ago.
Also all power gone while accelerating and the speedo dial at the position of the bike dying.
The cause: the main fuse blew.
The fuse that protects the battery. It was 200 Amp in the Vectrix.

I am strongly suspecting that you also blew the main fuse.
Short burst of power will have heated the fuse to the point of failure.
The fact that you measure 0 pack voltage also supports my theory.

Go find the main fuse and test it.

And be careful around the battery!
Once you go EV, gas is history!

amped

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 03:36:10 PM »
Brammofan,
I appreciate the welcome and the help, I'm the 3rd owner and have had this bike for almost 10 months and put on almost 4k miles on it. I prefer to take this bike over my other gas bikes any day of the week, I've really enjoyed it, never really had any problems out of it till now. I don't think that it's a battery failing since I have ran a load of around 8-10kw blasting up one of the steepest streets in the country pretty routinely, at 33.3% grade I think any weak batteries would show up pretty quickly.

Kingcharles,
I'm suspecting the same thing, I have checked all the fuses I could find, I'm thinking that there must be another one that protect the battery pack but have no idea where to look for it.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
2010 Enertia dead (help!)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 04:18:55 PM »
I have no idea where the main fuse is.
Let's hope Brammo responds and provides this info to you.
Otherwise start at the battery terminals and follow the main cables towards the motor controller until you discover it...
Once you go EV, gas is history!

kdbbramm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 01:55:27 PM »
Hello amped,
Sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. I have read your post, downloaded the data files and am in the process of examining the data. With some feedback from others I will send an email to you with the results and a good plan of action going forward.

I will advise as soon as possible so that we can get your electric motorcycle experience buzzing around town again. Have a great day and stay tuned...

Kurt

amped

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 03:59:48 PM »
Thanks Kurt, any help is greatly appreciated.

I'd like to have a plan of action and where to start looking before I start pulling components off so I'm not removing things unless it's necessary.

A diagram of where things are supposed to be located would help greatly if something like that exist.

jokerhd5t9

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 08:12:27 PM »
hi, im having the same problem. i was wondering if you had any luck with issue?

joker

jokerhd5t9

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 08:29:12 PM »
my bike is a 2010

amped

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 03:42:49 AM »
Greetings Joker,

And apologies to those who may have followed this subject waiting for me to post a solution to my problem. I was planning to write out a detailed process of the steps I went through but suffice to say I never got around to it.

It eventually turned out out to be a blown fuse for the main battery pack marked "ANN150" I initially dismissed it as a possible problem because I erroneously thought it was a shunt, this was due to my own lack of knowledge on the components and a huge lack of information about the bike itself. Brammo apparently never published a service manual. There was a fear at one point in discussions with Brammo that it may have been a defective VCU for which no replacement part exist in the known universe unless you come across another Enertia to raid parts off of.

The fuse is 150a rated fuse, is white and rectangular in shape with a tiny oblong window in the center of its face whose purpose is to visually tell if the fuse is blown, if this window is opaque the fuse is likely blown, to test it you must disconnect it from the system and to do this safely you must disconnect the big red battery pack connector located near the upper right side of the frame rail under the top tank body panel. To check the fuse you must remove the lower body panel, the fuse is located and fastened to the front side of the very bottom of the frame, being careful not to touch any other part of the bike with the wrench or ratchet your using, unbolt the fuse not the holder and test the fuse. I was able to find a replacement fuse for $10 on ebay, while your under the bike check the the fuse holder and make certain it's not loose, mine was loose and may have been the cause for the fuse blowing. Once you have reinstalled the fuse, reconnect the red battery pack connector and look at the instrument panel, you should now see the flashing red led operating again, good indication that the bike bike has power again, reconnect the tank power switch and cycle through a normal start sequence to make sure everything is working before reinstalling all the body panels.

Hope this helps, good luck!

jokerhd5t9

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2010 Enertia dead (help!)>solved!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 02:48:22 PM »
thank you so much. found it. its bad. ordering replacement. wish me luck!

jokerhd5t9

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 07:28:15 PM »
BINGO!!! replaced ANN150. it worked!!!

jokerhd5t9

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 07:29:15 PM »
thank you again!!!

amped

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 11:24:36 PM »
Cool, and your welcome, I'm glad it worked out for you and you were able to get your Enertia running again. Happy that my experience was able to help someone. Just out of curiosity, was your fuse holder loose also? Under what conditions did your bike fail?

jokerhd5t9

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 06:12:11 PM »
holder not loose. just riding around and it stopped dead. btw i work at Bartels Harley-Davidson in Marina Del Rey Ca. we were once a Brammo dealer but sales were very flat and we gave it up.