Brammo Enertia Discussion > Brammo Enertia Servicing

Center stand

<< < (2/3) > >>

Richard230:
I just received my Drag Specialties motorcycle lift that I bought from the Oregon-based Motorcycle Superstore. It cost $150 delivered to my home. Photos attached.

Note that both wheels are off the ground at the same time. That really makes it handy to perform a number of tasks on the chassis without having to jack up one end and then the other. It also makes it very easy to remove the front wheel and forks for servicing.

Richard230:
Here is a close-up.

Richard230:
Here is a photo showing the top of the lift, which is nicely coated with rubber to keep it from marring the bottom of the bike's belly pan. And a photo showing the stand collapsed, which makes it convenient to carry and store. When collapsed, it is very low, which makes it easy to shove under the bike before you lift it. I might add that you can use the stand to raise your bike without any additional help, which is something that I feel I need when using a shop stand and lifting the rear wheel from the rear of the bike, as you need to do using the red race stand shown in the original post.

FreepZ:
Being able to lift the whole bike up would indeed be useful, and that jack is a lot smaller than any stand I've seen so far.

I would be surprised if the Empulse could be supported that way. While it does have a flat base, it looks to me like that base is not all that strong. I thought that one of the design principals of the Brammo bike was to have a rigid battery frame that was the main load supporter and hang the battery and other components from that, rather than have an enclosing frame with the batteries inside it. I don't think that the battery controller can support the weight of the bike.

Is that plastic, or metal under there?

Also, I see from this image that there is a socket peeking out of the fairings on the Zero.

I would have thought that facing forwards like that would make it prone to getting dirt in there. Have you had any issues with that, or am I worrying about nothing?

Richard230:
The Zero belly pan appears to be aluminum (it is not magnetic) and constructed sturdy enough to be used with a stand that will support the entire bike. Plus, the level area of the pan is located so that the bike is balanced front-to-back when lifted at that location. The other thing I like about the Drag Specialties stand is that it has a flat surface that spreads the load over a wide area, compared with some other stands that use two parallel skid supports to lift the bike (such as the one that Cycle Gear has on sale this month for around $90).

My guess is that belly pan of the Empulse could probably handle lifting the entire bike using a stand like this that does not concentrate the load in any one area. Of course, the bike would need to be balanced front-to-back so that it would not tip when being lifted. When the Empulse finally arrives, no doubt BrammoBrian will be able to comment on how best to lift and support the bike for servicing.

You are correct about that charging cord port. I don't care for the location and would prefer to see it covered by a plastic door. I have the same comment about the charger LED inspection port on the other side of the front panel. It is open to water and debris. Since Zero uses this design on their dual-purpose version and does a lot of off-road testing, apparently the charger's operation is not affected by water and debris - but I still don't like it.  When I complained about the exposed charging port on another forum, a Zero employee saw my comment and sent me a dummy plug to cover the contacts of the charger connector, at no charge. That was a nice gesture and I use the dummy plug when I go riding.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version