Author Topic: Suburban and Rural areas?  (Read 2252 times)

Xaero

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Suburban and Rural areas?
« on: March 29, 2012, 11:14:49 PM »
Theoretically how would the Enertia plus fair in Tennessee Suburban area and Rural areas?  There are hills here but not as many as you think (West Knoxville Tennessee, around route 62, the major hills are the long green sploches). 

Does anyone own an Enertia right now that is in a Suburban or Rural area?  Anyone making 10 - 15 mile trips every day with one?  I drive 11 miles to work every day, 22 miles round trip.  I also make a 22 mile trip to my parents house every now and then.  Usually on the interstate but since the average speed is 80 MPH I would take the route through downtown Knoxville.

I am thinking in the direction of drive-ability (charge/mile) and impact on parts (longer use of motor, tires are a given, the other parts look high quality enough to take the mileage abuse).

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Suburban and Rural areas?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 01:06:22 AM »
I'm in northern AL, terrain is somewhat similar to TN. No Enertia but the Zero S does quite well on the hilly bits here, put 68 miles on today running around (up and down) Monte Sano Mountain. Would imagine the Enertia+ would fare just as well.

E+ should be able to handle a 22 mile commute easily, even at 65. A conservative guess for range is 35+ miles of range at 65 mph, or probably 45+ miles at 45-55 mph.

BrammoBrian says the E+ has an official top speed of 65+ mph and accelerates pretty fast from 30 mph to vmax.
http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=1135.msg7894#msg7894

I'd still recommend keeping it off interstates where traffic flows at 70+ mph.

Travel to your parents house should be very easy, depending on speed you may need to charge for an hour or two while you're there just to ensure a buffer on the return trip.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 08:11:30 AM »
Theoretically how would the Enertia plus fair in Tennessee Suburban area and Rural areas?

It would do well based on my Enertia Classic experience.

Does anyone own an Enertia right now that is in a Suburban or Rural area?  Anyone making 10 - 15 mile trips every day with one?

Yes, I do when the temperature is 40F or above. My commute varies based on the type of ride I want to do, but generally it is 17-20 miles per day with plenty of charge left at the end of my ride. It is mostly a downhill ride in the morning and an uphill ride at night. My average riding speed is probably 50 for most of my commute.

I have not had to replace any parts and I am starting my third year of riding my Enertia Classic.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 10:08:34 AM »
The Plus will do all that easily...the classic would too, as long as you aren't going highway the whole time (actually if you plan to do a lot of highway I would recommend something heavier than the Enertia...and the zero really...Both will be ok for short highway jaunts...the zero more than the E due to the higher top speed...but 300 pound bikes are not ideal for daily highway use...occasional yes, everyday, probably not)...

I average about 20 miles a day...suburban style riding...on the classic...no issues...

I do recommend with all electric vehicles to charge every chance you get...never know when you want a couple of more miles of range...

Can you charge at work? That is always a nice bonus....

Gavin

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »
actually if you plan to do a lot of highway I would recommend something heavier than the Enertia...and the zero really... Both will be ok for short highway jaunts...the zero more than the E due to the higher top speed...but 300 pound bikes are not ideal for daily highway use...occasional yes, everyday, probably not

I hit 65-70 mph just about every day on the Zero for a few miles. It is a bit heavier than the Enertia Classic, but I agree that neither bike is really has the range for extensive interstate use.

I average about 20 miles a day...suburban style riding...on the classic...no issues...

I do recommend with all electric vehicles to charge every chance you get...never know when you want a couple of more miles of range...

I put 68 miles yesterday on the Zero .. rode out to corporate for a lunch presentation. After work, a short charge at home while I cut the grass, then still had a bit of daylight so went out for a little 30 mile ride : )

If I could charge at work I probably would have bought the ZF6 .. Having a single base to recharge at is mandatory, of course.. having a second where you can park the bike at length would be amazing.

I still have yet to recharge outside home.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:41:15 AM »
yeah...the first couple of months with the E I never charged except at home...

now I charge when i visit my brother, at work, stopping for lunch at Subway, at Walmart and the Grocery store, etc etc...I have gone total wardriving EV style...

I do (usually) ask first....

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 04:46:29 PM »

I do (usually) ask first....

Gavin

case in point....tomorrow riding up the east side of the mountain to get some lunch at:

http://www.ribsbbqcedarcrest.com/

It's about 18 miles from my house...so I could make it and back...but half of that is at 55 mph and I gain about 2000 to 2500 feet in elevation...I will probably get to Ribs BBQ at 40-45 percent...not enough to get home...

But I called Ribs and they tell me they have an outside outlet and I am free to use it...

Anybody want to meet me for a Buffalo Burger? Probably around 1:30 or 2 pm....

Gavin

Xaero

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 11:00:15 PM »

That is a question I have yet to ask.  There are outlets outside our building but we don't own it and have tons of parking issues (cars, not motorcycles).

Another concern I have, which seems to be addressed here, is topping off the battery.  I know documentation says these bikes can be topped off but in a real world situation have any of you noticed it pushing battery life down quicker by topping off often?

Also imagine living in my area and wanting to take a drive to the Smoky Mountains, like going "route 62 Knoxville TN" to "Cades Cove TN".  52 miles into mountains one way.  Sounds like e-bike suicide?  I don't even know if they have anywhere to plug in there.  We really need solar panels/chargers like what was seen in Priest (movie).  The rocket bikes too...  ;D