Author Topic: These boot are killing me!  (Read 1014 times)

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
These boot are killing me!
« on: April 03, 2012, 06:06:09 PM »
This is really off topic, but perhaps the motorcycle experts out there can offer some advice...

I bought a pair of Dainese boots that were on sale, and then almost fell over when I tried to use them on my bike. They have these ribs under the arch that catch the rubber on my foot pegs.

Here is a larger picture.

Can anybody tell me if those ribs serve any purpose besides trapping my foot under the shifter? Perhaps people who race track know what it's for.
Richard #935 #595 #44

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: These boot are killing me!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:41:26 PM »
Doesn't Vibram make those glove-shoes? Maybe you mistakenly purchased shoes intended for a three toed sloth or something even more exotic..

(no idea)
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:43:05 PM »
I think they are supposed to reduce vibration felt through the footpegs. You could probably grind them down without causing the boots to be damaged.

Personally, I never buy boots made for racing. They are too specialized and the tread tends to wear out quickly (racers apparently don't do much walking). The other problem is that most of the boots with a molded and bonded rubber sole like the one you bought can't be resoled at a shoe repair shop.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:31:53 PM »
I used to wear $30 leather workboots on my bike, and they worked out great (although I have yet to test them by bouncing down the highway). Sure, they get a bit wet in the rain, and a bit hot in the sun, but I could tighten the laces around my riding pants to keep my feet mostly dry and warm, they were very comfortable and I could walk around with them when not on a bike.

Alas, the soles came off my last set of workboots and the uppers are pretty ratty too, but when I tried buying more boots like them but I couldn't find any! The boots were either over $130 a pair, or completely synthetic, or had steel toecaps, or about an extra 1/2 inch between the top of my toe and the top of the boot (makes up shifting pretty slow). Argh!

So I tried getting some serious riding gear instead, and ended up with those crazy Dainese boots. I just hope I can get a refund when I return them. Otherwise, I'm probably going to follow Richard's advice and grind those ridges off. Besides being a deathtrap, a bit stiff and a bit warm for Florida, they are quite comfortable, and should keep my feet dry in the rain. I would just need to have a second pair of shoes wherever I go, since walking them them is pretty ridiculous.

Thanks for the advice.
Richard #935 #595 #44

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: These boot are killing me!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:53:02 PM »
I bought a pair of Vega boots for about $80 and love them.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »
I bought Magnum Viper boots. They are waterproof and really comfortable.

Link: http://www.magnumboots.com/us/boots/essentials/349/viper-ii-8-wp/

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 10:28:42 PM »
I assume that the Vegas you got were the Vega Platoon Motorcycle Boot. Or did you get something else? The boots I used to wear have those hooks, just like the Vega, which makes lacing them up very fast, and if I want to be more casual, I just skip the hooks.

The Magnum Viper boots are pretty expensive, but if they can really stand up to "26 miles a day for four days straight", then they must be tough.
Richard #935 #595 #44

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 10:44:16 PM »
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 11:14:31 PM »
They have these ribs under the arch that catch the rubber on my foot pegs.

Nice looking boots.
Maybe try wrapping your foot pegs in gaffers tape?
Or replace them with metal ones?

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 05:58:20 AM »
The Magnum Viper boots are pretty expensive...

I paid about $100 on sale. I also like the paramilitary look to them.