Author Topic: windscreen  (Read 2557 times)

gecko164

• View Profile
    • GeckoGroup
windscreen
« on: April 15, 2012, 09:57:05 PM »
anybody successfully install a windscreen....? I saw these uiversal screens at givi.... was curious

http://www.giviusa.com/Screens--spoilers/Cupolini-universali-en/

jim

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: windscreen
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:31:21 AM »
Givi makes very good products that work well and look good, at a fair price.

But I still prefer the National Cycle Deflector Screen DX for a quickly-removable, fits-anything-with-handlebars, fully-adjustable, reasonably-priced, mid-sized windscreen. It blocks the wind from your chest, while letting the breeze hit your helmet without buffeting. I have been using the DX on many of my motorcycles for the past 15 years and it remains my favorite for function. It removes and installs in seconds once you bolt on and adjust the handlebar mounts. Some of the Givi shields look better, though.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/DeflectorScreen.shtml
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

chansuresh

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: windscreen
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 12:22:06 AM »
 I recently purchased a used Enertia classic. I contacted national cycle to get the deflector dx and they told me it won't work on the Enertia because the support clamp bars will interfere with the LCD display screen.  Can anyone confirm that or if you have been successful installing a windshield tell me which one and post some pictures, please? Thanks
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:16:12 PM by chansuresh »

chansuresh

• View Profile
    • Email
Windshield for Enertia Classic
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »
I recently purchased a used Enertia Classic. I needed 2 mods to make it a better commuter - - a luggage rack and a windshield / windscreen / fairing.  I'll  write about the Windshield mod here. Please look http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=2821.0 for the tail tidy and luggage rack post.

Windshield for Enertia Classic -- As folks know there is a Brammo small windshield part for the Enertia Plus but it mounts to the headlight bracket and won't fit the Classic. Then I pursued the National Cycle Deflector DX suggested above, but the company told it won't fit either since the support clamp bars will interfere with the LCD display.  I am glad to report that I found a generic windshield on Craigslist and was able to make it work with no changes to the bike.  See picture and instructions below.

1. Model of Windshield is Cyclear made in Collierville, TN. There are 2 markings on the windshield as follows. Embossed in plastic: Cyclear DOT309 - M321AS6;  There is also a sticker with the company name and address and Serial # M137205.  It seems to have come off a Harley but the shape and size is perfect for the Enertia, the only drawback being a curl near the headlight

2. My windshield came with 2 handlebar brackets and 2 brackets that would mount to a fork and all using SAE bolts. To attach to the bike, I used the handlebar brackets with no modification. However for the lower brackets, I had to remove the fork ring clamp that came with the windshield and use only the collar that pinches the windshield connecting rod and use a M6 metric bolt to attach the collar to the fork cross bars (see picture). In this position the rod clamps had to be reversed outside-in to allow the connecting rod to attach to the outside of the windshield (see pics)

Then with a person seated on the bike and leveled, you just have to move around the clamps and find the right fit. I chose to pull out the windshield about 1/4" in front of the headlamp to ensure there would'nt be accidental bumping or chafing of screen with headlamp or LCD dash. My ride is now quieter, more comfortable and warmer.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:11:38 PM by chansuresh »