Author Topic: 2012 Production Empulse specs are...  (Read 7471 times)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
2012 Production Empulse specs are...
« on: April 18, 2012, 07:24:13 AM »
Here is a thread to place specs...

:)

G

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: 2012 Production Empulse specs are...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 08:08:21 AM »
http://m.prnewswire.com/news-releases/brammo-reveals-new-details-for-empulse-and-empulse-r-electric-sport-bikes-147904985.html

ASHLAND, Ore., April 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --Brammo, Inc., the designer and manufacturer of world leading electric motorcycles today announced details of its much anticipated Empulse and Empulse R electric sport bikes.

Both models utilize the world's first drivetrain that has been designed and built for a production electric motorcycle. It features a water-cooled permanent magnet AC motor, IET 6 speed gearbox and Brammo's unique BPM 15/90 battery modules. This drivetrain package endows the Empulse and Empulse R with rapid off-the-line acceleration, sustained high speed and industry-leading range.

Unique for a production electric motorcycle, both Empulse models also have J1772 Level II on-board charging system, allowing riders to easily take advantage of the growing number of charging stations being installed in cities around the world. The Empulse and Empulse R can be totally recharged in just 3.5 hours and every 10 minutes of casual charging adds 5 miles of range. With a little planning, a day's journey of 200 miles or more can now be achieved.

Craig Bramscher, Founder and CEO of Brammo, stated, "The Empulse and Empulse R are a milestone for Brammo and the new electric benchmark for the motorcycling industry. I know when I reveal the bikes on May 8th people are going to be blown away by the integrity of the design and the focused presence this motorcycle commands." Bramscher continues, "When we first revealed the Empulse prototype, our customers had some very clear feedback for us and that feedback has inspired much of what you will see in the production version."

Brammo will be revealing the Empulse and Empulse R in Los Angeles on May 8th, 2012. The launch event will be webcast live to all pre-order customers. Those viewers will not only get to see the new bikes, they will get to hear what it's like to ride one, straight from the mouths of Brammo's development riders, two of which happen to be well-known motorcycle racers. Electric motorcycle racing is an integral part of Brammo's mission, and its experience and championship record on the track has played a critical role in the evolution of the Empulse from concept to production. Professional racers have had a hand in the development process and they will be sharing their riding experiences and impressions at the reveal on May 8th.

A video interview with Brammo CEO Craig Bramscher will be released on Thursday, April 19th 2012 – http://www.brammo.com/video-ceo

About Brammo

Brammo, Inc., is a leading electric vehicle technology company headquartered in North America. Brammo designs and develops electric vehicles including the Encite, Enertia, Empulse and Engage motorcycles. Brammo is the current TTXGP eGrandPrix champion of North America. Brammo is an OEM supplier of its innovative Brammo Digital Drivetrain systems including the Brammo Power battery pack and Brammo Power vehicle management system. Brammo has vehicle distribution and marketing operations in North America, Europe and Asia. To learn more, visit www.Brammo.com

The following are trademarks of Brammo, Inc. in the United States or other countries or both; Brammo®, Enertia®, Empulse®, Empulse R®, Engage®, Encite®, Brammo Digital Drivetrain®, Brammo Power®, the Brammo logo and bulls head graphical device.

2012 Brammo Empulse R Specifications

Drivetrain

Motor Type Permanent Magnet AC (PMAC) - Water Cooled Motor Controller Sevcon Gen 4

Peak Motor Power 40kW, @ 8,200 rpm (54 hp)

Peak Torque 63Nm (46.5 foot pounds)

Final Drive Direct Chain Drive (14/48) 520 O-ring chain

Transmission IET 6 speed gearbox with multi-plate, hydraulic activated wet clutch Emissions None Battery

Battery Type Brammo Power™ BPM15/90 Lithium-Ion ( NCM Chemistry)

Battery Pack Capacity 9.31 kWh (nominal), 10.2 kWh (max) Battery Pack Voltage 103.6 V (nominal)

Recharge J1772 Level I maximum charging time: 8 Hours. (0 – 99% SOC, no cell imbalances)

Level I and II Level II maximum charging time: 3.5 Hours. (0 – 99% SOC, no cell imbalances)

110V AC to J1772 Level 1 Adapter included Every 10 minutes of Level II charging adds up to 5 miles of range

Battery Cycle Life 1,500 cycles to 80% capacity (100% DOD) Performance

Max Speed 100 + mph (160 + km/h)

Driving Range City: 121 miles* (195 km) Highway: 56 miles** (90 km) Combined: 77 miles*** (124 km)

*SAE City Riding Range Test Procedure for Electric Motorcycles (variable speed, 19 mph / 30km/h average) **SAE Highway /Constant Speed Riding Range Test Procedure for Electric Motorcycles (70 mph / 113 km/h sustained) *** SAE Highway Commuting Cycle (.5 City weighting, .5 Highway weighting)

Operating Modes 2 Operating Modes selectable through the handlebar switch: 1. "Normal" - limits acceleration by reducing maximum current delivered to the motor through the motor controller in order to maximize driving range. 2. "Sport" - provides maximum performance in both acceleration and top speed.

Regenerative Braking

Under deceleration, energy is returned to the battery system to both extend driving range and provide familiar rider feedback.

Operating Cost Assuming 13 cents /kWh for electricity:

1 cent per mile around town 2 cents per mile on the highway

Approximately 400 miles for every $4.00 of electricity (city)

Data Collection

Brammo DDC™ (Dynamic Data Collection) records key motorcycle parameters at 1Hz (1 sample/second) for analysis and service support. Chassis

Frame Brammo E-Beam™ Aluminum, Fabricated by Accossato in Italy

Suspension / Front Fully Adjustable 43mm Marzocchi Forks

Suspension / Rear Fully Adjustable Sachs Shock Triple Clamps Forged Aluminum

Swing Arm Tubular Steel, Fabricated by Accossato in Italy

Sub Frame Tubular Steel, Fabricated by Accossato in Italy

Brakes / Front

Dual 310mm Brembo floating disk with twin four piston Hydraulic Brembo Brake Calipers, Radial Mount.

Brakes / Rear Brembo single disk with dual piston Hydraulic Brembo Brake Caliper

Wheels-Front / Rear 17"x 3.5" Marchesini /17" x 5.5" Marchesini

Tires-Front / Rear 120/70-17 AVON AV79 / 180/55-17 AVON AV80

Instrumentation

LCD display; speed, tach, odometer, gear position, energy consumption, battery status, estimated range and system status Dimensions Wheelbase 58.0" 147.32 cm Seat Height 31.5" 80.0 cm

Width 31.8" (bar end-to-bar end) 80.77 cm

Height 42.6" (highest portion of the dash) 108.2 cm Length 81.3" 206.5 cm Ground Clearance 7.3" 18.54 cm Rake / Trail 24 degrees / 3.8"

Storage Capacity Optional Brammo hard saddle bags and top trunk.

Fuel Economy 485 mpg-e 206 km/L-e Vehicle Weight 440lbs. / 200kg

Carrying Capacity Cargo Capacity 365 lbs. / 165.6 kg (805 lbs. / 365.1 kg total combined motorcycle, rider, passenger and cargo) Warranty 2 Years (Limited Factory Warranty) 1 year Fender-to-Fender Limited Warranty, 2 year Limited Powertrain Warranty (Batteries and Motor)

Colors True Blood Red, Eclipsed Black, White Noise All specifications subject to change without notice.

SOURCE Brammo, Inc.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2012 Production Empulse specs are...
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 08:37:06 AM »
OMG! Finally! I feel like this is going to be an awesome bike... I also feel like I wont be able to afford the R spec model... waiting on specs for the Empulse minus the R. R means Really expensive, right? ;). Prices? I need Prices! Thanks for posting this Brammofan!

BTW, anyone interested in a 2007 GSXR750...  ;D

Probably not the right venue to sell an ICE bike, huh...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:39:14 AM by EmpulseBuyer »

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 08:39:06 AM »
This is the part that I like best:
Performance

Driving Range
City: 121 miles*   (195 km)
Highway: 56 miles**    (90 km)
Combined: 77 miles***  (124 km)

The thing that I'm trying to do with the Empulse is combined riding for about 77 miles. It's like the bike was built for me!
Richard #935 #595 #44

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:46:50 AM »
OMG! Finally! I feel like this is going to be an awesome bike...

+1

Fantastic! These specs answer so many questions I had.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 08:55:01 AM »
Notes/Observations:

• The Empulse is Awesome! (Sorry Protomech, Richard230, :P)
  • I don't see a price anywhere. Does anybody have an idea of what it is?
  • Sport/Eco mode - I guess that made sense for the Zero, and makes sense for the Empulse too.
  • Regenerative breaking - Good news. It's not going to have much effect for hard breaking, but it is going to help the hypermilers out there (like me!)
  • "110V AC to J1772 Level 1 Adapter included" - I wonder if that will be a NEMA5-20 to J1772 adapter, or simply a NEMA5-20 plug at the end of a cable with the adapter on the bike.
  • Looks like only one battery configuration.
  • Brammo have not updated their website yet.
Richard #935 #595 #44

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 08:57:42 AM »
Notes/Observations:

• Looks like only one battery configuration.

Only specs for the R are shown, right?  ???

machone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 09:01:42 AM »
Looks good.

this is going to be an awesome bike...

+3

'Eclipse'(yuk) Black one please!

Agree that regenerative braking is good news. Also like the mpge km/l figures - gives an easy to understand comparator.

It's all good. Now just need to know how many pennies and when....

Not long now

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 09:10:32 AM »
Only specs for the R are shown, right?  ???

I was wondering about that.

What naming convention are they going to be using? I know that the Empulse RR is the racing version. What does the single R mean? And if there are other battery configurations, what will they be named? P, Q?
Richard #935 #595 #44

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 09:14:28 AM »
No prices until May 8, according to a brammole*.

*brammole - noun - small, woodland creature native to southern Oregon.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 09:18:51 AM »
The article suggests: "Empulse and Empulse R"

Looks like there will be the Empulse, the Empulse R, and the Empulse RR (Existing Racebike). I would really like to see the specs for the regular Empulse. Sucks about having to wait on pricing  :-\

April 18 Specs: OMG I want one!
May 8 Price: Oh wait, I cant afford it...   :( or I can  :D

Actually affordability is determined almost entirely by my better half.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:25:02 AM by EmpulseBuyer »

machone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 09:20:26 AM »
Also like the reference to a passenger and luggage!!

;D
Not long now

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 10:05:17 AM »
Well guys, I am impressed with the specifications of the Empulse and they are almost exactly as I had expected, based upon Brammo's interest in making a quality electric motorcycle that will be compared with top-notch gas-powered sport bikes.  However, those quality chassis components, many of which are imported from Italy, are quite a bit more expensive than the somewhat basic chassis parts used on the Zero. If the Brammo and Zero MSRPs will have about the same markup, I still say that the Empulse will need to be around $18,000 USD, to account for the more expensive suspension, frame, gearbox, larger motor, more powerful charger, cooling system, etc.  You know what they say. You get what you pay for.   :)

I also note that, while the Empulse will have better performance than the Zero ZF9, it does not appear to have any significant increase in range.  As an engineer, I really like the design of the Empulse, but for my general transportation purposes to get from here to there, the Zero is satisfactory and while I will have some buyer's remorse, I am not going to bang my head against a wall for buying the Zero. I have taken my bike up to 85 mph once, but the rest of the time I keep it at the speed limit, I don't carry a passenger and I just need enough acceleration to stay ahead of a Prius thing.   ;)

However, as they say, your needs and desires may be different. In any case, I am looking forward to seeing the Empulse on the road, hearing owner's reports on the bike and seeing motorcycle publications compare the two vehicles. It is going to be an interesting and fun year!   ;D

current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

davidsoulen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 10:12:48 AM »
So that's it?!..... No power increase? So will the regular Empulse have less horsepower?
Empulse order# 1152

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 10:27:04 AM »
I bet the difference between the Empulse and the Empulse R are going to be the battery capacity. I'm curious about the charging stuff, do we need to carry the adapter in a backpack or something or is it incorpated on the bike somewhere?...
120 mile range with an average speed of 19mph is perfect for me since according to my Lexus, after 12 hrs of drive time I average 29.5 mph. With gas at $3.999 per gallon and 16.8 mpg I'll have a significant savings for a daily commute.
Actually Mine,
Empluse R