Author Topic: It's the little things that count  (Read 1616 times)

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
It's the little things that count
« on: May 09, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »
I've been pouring over the photos and trying to catch a glimpse of what's to come when I take delivery. I've been noticing tons of little details that I think are really contributing to that promise of a no-compromises motorcycle. I won't list everything that I've found, because I thought it'd be fun if people wanted to post up what they've noticed so far.

I'll start with: 1. Looks like they've got perfectly placed threads in the frame for frame sliders.

Now that's race credibility. No need to get a silly frame slider kit that adapts an engine mount and then relocates the slider out of a weird vent in the body work. Not that the Empulse has bodywork, but some ebike racer out there will be pleasantly surprised someday.

mykb13

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Re: It's the little things that count
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 10:57:43 PM »
2. Swingarm tapped for bolt-on spools/sliders
3. Electronic sensor just rear of rear brake caliper...speed sensor for determining rear wheel lock-up on regeneration for slippery roads???
4. Studio photos do not have red rim-stripes on wheels or carbon fiber "tank" cover, but action photos do!  Hope the correct rims weren't available for the studio shoot since it's obvious that the CF tank cover was not available at time of shoot but will be on the "R" (CF tank cover is in "R" specs)
5. Remote resevoir on rear shock for better cooling...held to bracket with standard hose clamps
6. No seat lock visible...is there any storage under there?
7. Cutout in the sub frame plastic fender under the seat just forward of the tail light...fender eliminator ready?  Possible ventilation for some component with cooling fins
8. Chain uses a master link clip rather than permanent pressed master link
9. 2 empty frame mounting holes below swingarm pivot on right side, 1 empty on left...could this be used for lower fairing mounting of a full faired bike?
10. No room for bar end mirrors unless we add some bar end weights
11. Front brake cross over line is mounted directly to center of fender rather than the typical fork bracket seen on many bikes...is there enough clearence between the front tire and the bottom of the bolt/rivet that holds the line to allow for different manufacturers tires?  Tire diameter/profile varies greatly between manufacturers for the same size tires

August 27 update for #4...closeup studio photos of "tank" and "cord" do show red rim stripes in background
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 12:55:39 AM by mykb13 »

mykb13

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 11:23:18 PM »
12. Flash-to-pass headlight button
13. Charging cable appears to be 15A 120VAC plug...is this the 120V adapter that comes with the Empulse?
14. 2 tapped holes on bottom of left side of swingarm...for mounting a rear sprocket protector?

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 05:21:32 PM »
Oh my. Are you a professional investigator by trade? Either A) your powers of observation are super-human or B) you've spent some serious time going over photos. Strong work!

3. Electronic sensor just rear of rear brake caliper...speed sensor for determining rear wheel lock-up on regeneration for slippery roads???

I've been thinking about this a lot. I haven't noticed this sensor, but I have to imagine that they would need to employ some kind of engine braking control. I learned an interesting lesson at a Pridmore (Jason, not Reg) school once. They tell you that the first thing you do when you go off is to drop a gear and rely on engine braking for the initial deceleration. The idea is that you might drag the rear wheel for a short distance, but eventually the wheel speed and ground speed will match up. Same idea behind backing your bike into a corner. So that made me think that Brammo could probably come up with a reasonable algorithm that would allow for this type of action, but it might be really hard to get it to feel right to the rider. I could easily see someone dumping to many gears and getting into serious trouble.

And in fact, with braking zones diminishing so much, guys really aren't backing it in as much and they really need stability under braking to get the thing to turn in while trail braking. I was reading in a Road Racing World that the hot new area of electronics development is engine braking control.

So I bet you're absolutely spot on with your theory.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 06:01:19 PM »
13. Charging cable appears to be 15A 120VAC plug...is this the 120V adapter that comes with the Empulse?

Most likely. Cable will be 15A regardless of 120V or 240V AC.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

mykb13

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 08:08:54 PM »
15. Radial mount front brake calipers and stainless steel brake lines all the way around

mykb13

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 01:15:14 AM »
16. No starter button, but there is a MODE button above the kill switch on the right bar