Author Topic: Unfair Comparison!  (Read 1239 times)

Mithion

• Brammovangelist
  • Raised on a Harley but all about electric power!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Unfair Comparison!
« on: May 16, 2012, 07:22:36 AM »
Has anyone seen this video?

They say in the beginning that they are not there to compare the two, then that's all they do.

How incredibly unfair is that to compare a 2009 Enertia Classic to a 2012 Zero S.

Get the E Plus in there and I can see going side to side.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Unfair Comparison!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 08:26:47 AM »
Pretty funny.
They do say, "we're not comparing" and then totally compare the two. 

That said, I do wish that the front suspension was adjustable on the Enertia.  It is a pretty stiff ride sometimes.

And yeah, these guys have obviously ridden more miles on motorcycles than I have, but saying that the brakes on the Zero are superior to the Brembo brakes on the Enertia... that seems to counter every other review I've read, including those by some current Zero owners.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Mithion

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 08:42:02 AM »
Pretty funny.
They do say, "we're not comparing" and then totally compare the two. 

That said, I do wish that the front suspension was adjustable on the Enertia.  It is a pretty stiff ride sometimes.

And yeah, these guys have obviously ridden more miles on motorcycles than I have, but saying that the brakes on the Zero are superior to the Brembo brakes on the Enertia... that seems to counter every other review I've read, including those by some current Zero owners.

It seems very uninformed to say brakes that are not Brembo are better than Brembo lol.

This comparison is like saying a car from the sixties is less efficient than a car from the 2010's, it's so obvious. If your going to compare two bikes make sure they are in the same category.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:23:19 AM »
One of the guys was surprised when the other one mentioned the Marzocchi forks on the Enertia.  Yes, the Zero forks are adjustable and I wish the Enertia ones were.  However, there is a thread over on electricmotorcycleforum.com in which several Zero owners are talking about the fork seals leaking.  I guess it's a trade off.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 09:58:38 AM »
Same group that did the writeup a short time ago on Richard230's Zero and the Enertia. Looks like it's another Zero here, a black ZF6.

They should have just left out the bit about not comparing, why else would you have both bikes sitting there and what are you going to talk about : P "The Brammo can brake.. and the Zero can also brake!" They mention that 3 years of development for electric bikes is like dog years.. an alternative view is that gas bikes are largely stagnant.

The brakes on the Zero are not bad. You do need to put a fair bit of pressure on them to get much action, but I like them better than the GS500 (which also uses rubber hosing). I've never ridden an Enertia to compare.

The E+ will be a better comparison target for the ZF6 Zero, but it's still basically the same bike. Better low speed maneuverability, easier to charge, slightly faster, double the range.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Mithion

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 11:24:31 AM »
I can only speculate but I imagine there could be some difficulty in trying to stay unbiased when reviewing something, especially if you have a personal connection to one of the two or more things you are reviewing. I know I would have a hard time not automatically wanting to like a Harley over a Victory but one would hope that those who do these reviews so others can use them as research for a future purchase wold stay as unbiased as possible and only state facts and not opinions.

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »
I do wish that the front suspension was adjustable on the Enertia.  It is a pretty stiff ride sometimes.

The SV650 came from the factory the opposite way.  It was too soft, and offered zero adjust-ability.  The widely accepted solution was to just replace the fork oil with a heavier weight oil (10w).  I did that on my bike using the siphoning method with a vacuum pump from the top without having to completely disassemble the fork.  Going to a thinner fork oil might be the solution for the Enertia?

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 12:21:40 PM »
I do wish that the front suspension was adjustable on the Enertia.  It is a pretty stiff ride sometimes.

The SV650 came from the factory the opposite way.  It was too soft, and offered zero adjust-ability.  The widely accepted solution was to just replace the fork oil with a heavier weight oil (10w).  I did that on my bike using the siphoning method with a vacuum pump from the top without having to completely disassemble the fork.  Going to a thinner fork oil might be the solution for the Enertia?

Interesting... i did this with my stock steering damper on my GSXR. The damper was too wimpy, so I found a howto on the GSXR forums to replace the damper oil with heavier stuff. Worked like a charm. BTW, I wonder if the Empulse comes with a stock steering damper?? Would save me having to slap one on there after the fact because I prefer not to ride without one.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:26:53 PM by EmpulseBuyer »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 12:27:04 PM »
Going to a thinner fork oil might be the solution for the Enertia?

Well, the plot (and the oil?) thickens.

See my latest post:
http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=1316.msg9540#msg9540

Mithion

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 01:41:07 PM »
Going to a thinner fork oil might be the solution for the Enertia?

Well, the plot (and the oil?) thickens.

See my latest post:
http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=1316.msg9540#msg9540

LOL, nice lead-in!

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 08:44:26 PM »
That is the first time that I have seen that "comparison" video by City Bike. Actually, I think it was pretty decent as an entertainment piece. As I see it, they were reviewing both bikes independently. The problem was that they had both bikes side-by-side, making it seem like a head-to-head comparison. That was not what City Bike was trying to do.  They were just reviewing the two electric motorcycle models currently on the market. But in doing so, it made it seem like a shoot-out and that was never their intention.

I think what they really wanted was a chance to ride the two electric motorcycles around San Francisco on a sunny day and those two demonstrators from Scuderia West and Monroe Motors were all that was available - other than my bike, of course.  Speaking of my ride to my daughter's home, the round trip was 76 miles, not 45 miles as mentioned in the video, and I could have easily made it there and back without needing to recharge my battery (although I did do so at my daughter's house just to play it safe).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:27:14 AM by Richard230 »
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 07:39:52 AM »
Yeah. I didn't remember you making a 90 mile trip on one charge : P
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/