Author Topic: TCO Calculator Updated - Lots of New Stuff  (Read 3580 times)

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
TCO Calculator Updated - Lots of New Stuff
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:04:25 PM »
After some late nights, and going through feedback and feature requests, the Electric Motorcycle  TCO Calculator app has finally been updated. Here are some of the changes:

- Comments can be left at the bottom of the page
- 2013 Zeros models added
- 10% Federal tax rebate check box added
- Battery Life metrics are now tied to editable range field
- Share This Chart feature updated to provide shortened links via bit.ly
- Range drop down menu added (Uses EPA range stats from manufacturer)
- Utah added to state tax incentive drop down... Colorado and a few other states removed :-(
- All known bugs fixed

Be sure to give my app a "like", please :-)
Also, please let me know what ya-all think!

UPDATE: Whoops, Here's the link: http://www.empulsebuyer.com/tcoCalculator.php
Thanks BrammoFan
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:41:22 PM by EmpulseBuyer »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: TCO Calculator Updated - Lots of New Stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 02:19:14 PM »
Am I not seeing a link because I'm behind a firewall, or did you forget to add the link?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 05:20:11 AM »
Here are the four interesting electric models IMO to compare:

* 2013 FX ZF5.7 - $12000 dualsport, 44 hp 260 lbs
* 2013 XU ZF2.8 - $8000 city commuter, 26 hp 200 lbs
* 2013 S ZF8.5 - $14000 naked standard 2-up, 54 hp 350 lbs
* 2013 Empulse - $17000 naked sportbike, 54 hp 470 lbs

Assume the following:
* $0.12/kWh for electricity. +50% over AL's current rate .. probably a good guess at a 6 year average.
* $4.50/gal for gas. Again, my guess at a 6 year average.
* combined city/highway range for electric bikes.
* mpg, wet weight, performance taken from MCN January 2012 Performance Index.

FX is a compelling electric bike. It is much faster than similar weight gas bikes (250 @ 8-12s 0-60) and much lighter than similar power / performance gas bikes (650 dualsport). Suzuki DR-Z400S MSRP $6499 is probably the best comparison @ 34 rwhp, 320 pounds, 0-60 in 6.5s. Comparison here, break-even point 39k miles.

XU I think will largely be bought by city commuters, not sport riders. Honestly the best comparison is probably a scooter .. but let's go with the Honda CBR250R MSRP $3995. The CBR is massively heavier @ 360 pounds .. but there's very little option for a street standard as noone sells a 125cc bike in the US. CBR is quite a bit slower @ 9s 0-60 vs 6s 0-60 .. but CBR top speed is a much higher. Comparison here, break-even point 30k miles. Note that I use city range for the XU as I think this is the target market for the bike, but this barely affects the break-even miles.

S is definitely not a sportbike, but in 2013 it picks up enough power and top speed to elevate it a bit above commuter duty. MCN hasn't reviewed the new Honda CBR500F MSRP $5499, but it's a good comparison point. Again, the CBR is massively heavier @ 420 pounds and down a bit on power @ 47 hp, but 0-60 times are likely similar in the absence of a multi-gear. I'll re-use MCN's rating for the Ninja 500 (64 mpg). Comparison here, break-even point 72k miles.

Empulse is an odd duck in a world of gas bikes. The R has very premium components, but is far down on power relative to similar high-spec gas bikes. The base Empulse is still nicely equipped - well above weight/power contemporaries like the Suzuki 650. It's down a bit on power and up on weight vs something like the Ducati Monster 696 MSRP $9295 (80 bhp, 402 lbs) .. but it's about as close as I can think of. BMW F 800 R may be another option. Comparison here, break-even point 35k miles.

Note that these all are being compared without consideration for range. Once you consider range, the Empusle seems like the best buy versus the competition.

The Empulse did better than I thought it might. The 10% federal rebate makes a significant difference, and IMO both the component & tech level, design, and racing pedigree (whatever weight that may hold with you) elevates it to something approaching a premium level with associated premium operating costs. Compare it against a lame-duck Suzuki SV650 and the break-even point grows significantly. I

With that said, the smaller Zero bikes also do very well. Their range is limited, but both bikes are entirely in a class of their own offering quick performance, highway capable top speeds and very light weight. Where the Empulse's performance seems a little bit underwhelming given its high specification level, the Zero bikes perform well above their improved but still somewhat pedestrian specification level. I think the FX will be a rolling advertisement to the advantages of a lightweight electric drivetrain.

A revealing illustration of progress is the comparison to last year's bike, the 2012 S. With the 10% federal credit the break-even point (vs a 2012 Ninja 250R) narrows to 88k miles. Even that is a bit of a stretch - the Ninja 250 is slightly faster from a start, has a notably higher top speed, and weighs little more.

In less than a year Zero has improved range by 10-20%, increased onboard charging speeds, made an available CHAdeMO fast DC charge, doubled power, added standard passenger equipment, added smartphone integration options, significantly improved the brakes once again..
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:05:07 AM »
The other thing to consider, when comparing an electric motorcycle with a Ninja 250, is that from what I have read in the past on the mini-Ninja forum is that the bike will likely need a new motor after 50,000 miles.  That tips the financial equation toward electric even more.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:48:55 AM »
CB250 would work just as well.

The Zero's longevity has yet to be determined; I think break-even points that far out are hard to argue for. At the end of year 1 I should be down to 80k miles on the break even clock, but I doubt I'll resist the temptation to upgrade that long.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

oml

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 01:17:44 PM »
Now if you consider pre-year models ... some shops over here sell a "new" zero s 2012 6kwh for ~5500 euros here (~ 7200 USD, but usually a zero costs the same in euros as in dollars). Im veeeery tempted. Thats about the same as for a 250R here.