Author Topic: Triumph thinking about electric motorcycles  (Read 832 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Triumph thinking about electric motorcycles
« on: May 29, 2012, 09:54:57 AM »
It looks like Triumph is considering building an electric motorcycle. They have recently performed a survey (which I must have missed) and the rumors are stirring. Read more here:

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/triumph-considers-electric-future/20736.html

I would love to see Triumph beat out nervous BMW to the electric motorcycle market. What I like about Triumph is that they can move fast when designing and marketing new motorcycles as they are a privately-held company and don't have a big corporate bureaucracy that has to get involved before anything new can be accomplished.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: Triumph thinking about electric motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:22:33 AM »
Well if IF Triumph can get an EV that looks like their T-100 model...I would buy that over any other bike...

I think that bike is the most beautiful bike out there...not sure how you would capture the same look and feel in electric, but if they did....sweet...

Gavin

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 11:20:05 AM »
And with no requirement to pass terrifyingly expensive crash-tests, production bike designs and components can be changed far more cheaply and quickly than those of cars, making electric bikes perfect test-beds for the technology and much better placed to exploit the low-volume market for electric transport than cars.

Sure, no need to crash test a bike. If you crash (or somebody hits you), you're pretty much screwed. :( (Remember: ATGATT) The good news is that e-bikes are going to develop a lot faster than cars. :) I predict that the next decade is going to be rather exciting for e-bikes!
Richard #935 #595 #44

machone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 01:10:01 PM »
I like the sound of this! Existing customer survey for a new product?! Does that happen often(stir,stir)?...
It's all looking good for electric bikes. I think commuting is where they are a perfect fit until range and performance increase. With fuel taxes increasing they're going to get popular fast!
Not long now

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 03:54:56 PM »
And it occurs to me that fuel prices in the U.K. and Europe are really high.  That should spur Triumph's interest in marketing an electric motorcycle and the public's interest in buying one.   :)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

machone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 04:26:11 PM »
And it occurs to me that fuel prices in the U.K. and Europe are really high.  That should spur Triumph's interest in marketing an electric motorcycle and the public's interest in buying one.   :)

It should indeed!

If I ignore the inconvenience and discomfort of a bike compared with my car, the fuel savings an Empulse will make to my commuting will mean it will pay for itself in 7 years. This is assuming the European price mentioned in the Germany thread is true and import/road taxes aren't extortionate. As fuel prices go up, this 'time to payoff' comes down. The only thing needed to make the plan foolproof is a battery exchange program which we have talked about at length .... and does not exist yet(but should).

Automotive statistics are difficult to come by but I think most people keep their vehicles less than 7 years....but not me, so far!
Not long now

Mr.Rodgers

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 07:55:44 PM »
you are exactly right, most people only keep a car for 4-5 years.  In fact, because of troubled economies and the overall quality of cars increasing, the average car is now 10.8 years old

And, according to RL Polk and others, once you own a car for 10 years, its yours for life.
(somewhat)Patiently waiting