Author Topic: Electric Yamaha  (Read 727 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Electric Yamaha
« on: June 11, 2012, 09:31:34 AM »
Yamaha has apparently designed and is marketing an electric scooter, which Visor Down doesn't think much of.  It sure would be nice if one of the major Japanese manufacturers would develop, manufacture and offer for sale to the general public a real electric motorcycle similar to the Brammo Empulse. I know that Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha have the knowledge, technology and resources to do it, but apparently they just don't have the balls to tackle the market until someone else proves it is large enough to be profitable.

http://www.visordown.com/snippets/the-problem-with-electric-bikes/20835.html
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Deadly Silent Ninja

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Yamaha
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 10:31:02 AM »
I know that Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha have the knowledge, technology and resources to do it, but apparently they just don't have the balls to tackle the market until someone else proves it is large enough to be profitable.

I think that's Zero's and Brammo's job. If they can sell well in the thousands, the other brands might take more notice of the market. I think it will happen in a few years when most elmotos can easily pass the 100 mile threshold for less than $12K. That will make them competitive in the general market and not only in the niche market, which is not very interesting to big brands.

The best news would be if Polaris makes the Enertia Plus (and hopefully the Empulse) commonly available in its dealers. It would probably be even more successful, looking at Polaris general consumers, if they had the Engage and the Encite. With a mix like that, they could put some serious push in creating/expanding the market. One year later, if they do well enough, all the other big brands would jump in.

But this whole process will take a few years. None of the big brands seems to be in a rush...

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 12:08:37 PM »
Of course if the emoto market does not do well, the big brands aren't going to have to worry about wasted investment. I don't think it's so much a matter of courage as it is just business sense. When the tide changes, I don't think that it will take the big companies too long to get on board (heck, at worse they can simply buy technology from one of the smaller start ups), but they aren't going to take any risk to make the tide change as they are doing fine selling gas bikes.
Richard #935 #595 #44

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:29:23 PM »
Apparently released in 2010.

According to Yamaha, the YIPU produces 1.9hp and has a maximum torque output of 7.1 ft-lb. Yamaha also claims a range of 26.7 miles at a speed of 18.6 mph on a windless flat road at a temperature of 77 degrees F while carrying a 121 pound rider.

750 Wh battery .. 30 Wh/mile is actually somewhat reasonable.

750 Wh should weigh about 10-12 pounds, cost <$500 to the consumer. Should be possible to double up on the battery, or remove it for indoor charging. 7 hour charge = 100w, an extra charger should be ~$50.

It's sold in Europe for 1800 pounds .. in the same ballpark as Honda 50-110cc scooters.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 02:10:17 PM »
I would imagine that Honda will be the first big time manufacturer to enter the electric motorcycle market... possible as early as next year. Just speculation on my part, but I think the Mugen bike is a big sign of things to come from Honda.