Author Topic: Geeky question - does the Enertia have an OBD port?  (Read 1697 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Geeky question - does the Enertia have an OBD port?
« on: June 20, 2012, 10:59:25 AM »
OBD = On Board Diagnostics.  These are the ports that, when you go to the mechanic because your "check engine" light is on, they plug a scanner into the port that tells them what fault codes are in the car's computer. 

I was reading over on elmoto.net that someone's build is using an OBD port and they are plugging in a bluetooth dongle, and using an Android App called "Torque."  I don't think the Enertia has one of these, but thought I'd pose the question anyway.

It seems to me that the diagnostics are all stored on the USB key under the seat, that it's probably in a proprietary format which would preclude the use of some sort of USB to OBD adapter to get the information up on my phone's screen. 

I wish someone here brighter and geekier than me would figure out how to (in order of preference):
1.  hack into the diagnostics so we can view our logs without sending them to Brammo for translation
2.  hack into the diagnostics so we can view realtime information using an app on our phones
3.  hack into the performance software so we can play around with that.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.  :-\
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Geeky question - does the Enertia have an OBD port?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 11:57:54 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, the 2012 Zero bikes (at least S, DS) have an OBD-II port, which I understand has CAN data from the controller. I have a consumer OBD-II scanner but I haven't tried hooking it up.

The Enertia's USB key does store logs, I took a look at the logs earlier and partially dissected them.

I'd be happy to take a look at this again and update the tool.

Here's what would be very helpful to me:
1. Log while charging the bike - note start / end time of charging, depth of discharge at start, ambient temperature. Optionally disconnect and reconnect the charging cable one or more times and note times of disconnect and remaining depth of discharge.
2. Log while operating the bike - note start / end time of ride, depth of discharge at start / end, ambient temperature. GPS log of ride (use an app like runkeeper on iOS / Android, export GPX or KML) would be VERY helpful here.

It's *theoretically* possible that you could attach a phone / device to the Enertia via a USB cable and have the logs stored on the device. An app on the device could display updates from the logs, although most of the information is likely already available on the Enertia display (I WISH this was true for the Zero bikes). You could mount the device on the handlebars of the bike for display.

The device would need to support USB mass storage profile. Best options are a jailbroken iOS device (iphone, ipod touch) or some Android devices (newer devices, like my Galaxy Nexus, support MTP instead of USB mass storage).
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 12:10:49 PM »
I'd forgotten that earlier post.  Thanks!
I've been using an app called MyTracks on my android phone (HTC EVO 4G) that tracks your location, speed, altitude and will easily download it to google maps and to google drive.  I can send you a link to the spreadsheet on google drive (which also links to the maps) if you're interested.  Since it shows, basically, where I live, I'm not going to post it here, but will send it to you in an email. 

I was wondering if it was "theoretically" possible for the usb cable under the seat to have two terminations: one to the existing USB key, and one to a bluetooth dongle that could send the info to your phone.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »
Not in a standard sort of way.

USB mass storage is a block-level protocol, which allows you to access a chunk of a file at a time and append to it. This has some issues if multiple agents are attempting to access the file at once, which is partly why Google is shifting to MTP. There is a Bluetooth file transfer profile, but it is an object-level protocol (which means you can interact with objects as a whole).

Can it be done? Sure, but you probably would need something like an a small embedded system (arduino?) with bluetooth and USB (ideally powered from USB port) .. $100+ and some coding effort.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/