Author Topic: MSF approves the 2012 Zero XU as a M/C trainer  (Read 1196 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
MSF approves the 2012 Zero XU as a M/C trainer
« on: June 26, 2012, 02:04:24 PM »
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation has approved the 2012 Zero XU for use in their motorcycle training program. Here is the article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/26/2012-zero-xu-approved-for-use-in-msf-training-courses/

I guess it will be easier riding around the parking lot without having to worry about using the clutch or figuring out how to shift a motorcycle gearbox. 
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: MSF approves the 2012 Zero XU as a M/C trainer
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 02:23:23 PM »
Yeah...when I took my m/c drivers test I rode my Stella...150cc 2 stroke...

she was a manual, but also small and light...I zipped through the course in no time and got a few dirty looks from all the noobs on 800 pound Hogs waiting behind me.

Gavin

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 12:36:33 PM »
The article makes a valid point about using the XU to learn about bikes.

While learning on an XU would be an excellent way to solidify basic handling skills, it would seem to do little to prepare a rider for actually throwing a leg over most motorcycles.

Can someone get a motorcycle license riding an XU, and then use that license to ride a regular bike with a clutch? That seems kind of dangerous to me. Of course they do the same with cars; I can get a driver's license only driving an automatic and then buy a car with a manual gear box. It's not an issue for cars since automatics are ubiquitous, while manual cars are the exception. With bikes, a manual transmission is the norm.
Richard #935 #595 #44

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 02:10:30 PM »
Some states (AL) don't even require a riding test to get your M certification.

Agree that the XU is not a good choice to learn if you plan to ride a typical motorcycle. However, there are automatic ICE motorcycles available (Honda NC700, Aprilia Mana) if you are disinterested in learning or operating a clutch and sequential shifter. Many scooters are automatic as well, but the MSF has a separate scooter course.

I would assume the XU would be offered alongside a conventional motorcycle, so that you could choose what you wanted to learn on. The opportunity to learn the more important controls without also struggling with a clutch could attract new riders who would otherwise dismiss motorcycling as a legitimate form of transportation - and perhaps more importantly, new circles of riders.

A conventional motorcycle has five basic controls: handlebars, throttle, clutch, sequential manual transmission, front/rear brakes. Both the clutch and transmission are crutches required for a combustion engine bike, although they can provide some benefits to low-powered electrics like the Empulse.

Higher power electrics, like the Lightning race bike (or supposedly the BRD redshift, which has a bit less power than the Empulse but far less weight, perhaps a lower top speed as well?) can power-wheelie at will at low speeds. Torque doesn't need multiplication at that point!
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Vibetrippin

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 12:18:13 PM »
In Canada if you take your motorcycle road test on anything that doesn't have a clutch you get an "S" restriction. Meaning that you have your motorcycle license but only on vehicles that don't have a clutch.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 01:28:30 PM »
That's a pretty reasonable restriction.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 03:58:21 PM »
I think California is only concerned about the vehicle motor size. If you take your test on a freeway-legal motorcycle (such as the Honda 250 Rebel, which us used here in most riding classes) then you get an M license that allows you to ride on the freeway. My guess is that if the XU is freeway-legal, you will get a full motorcycle endorsement on your license, compared to the other M endorsement that only allows you to ride a small scooter or moped.

Alternately, you could go to a DMV office and perform a figure-eight in their parking lot and take a stupid written test to get a motorcycle license, but you have to go to a DMV office and most people would rather spend two days taking the MSF class than have to visit a DMV office for one day and watch their computers crash as you are standing in line and then have them slam the window in your face.   ::)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

craigq

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 04:27:14 PM »
In Canada if you take your motorcycle road test on anything that doesn't have a clutch you get an "S" restriction. Meaning that you have your motorcycle license but only on vehicles that don't have a clutch.

Simply not true. In Canada licensing is done on a provincial basis.

In Ontario we have M1, M2 and M (graduated licensing, certain restrictions on M1/M2, M is a free-for-all), and for "limited speed" motorcycles ("a motorcycle that has a maximum speed of 70 km/h") there is an additional "L" condition added onto the M designation.

In Quebec they have Class 6R, 6A, 6B and 6C for motorcycles. For mopeds, low-speed motorcycles and bikes with engines smaller than 50cc there's the 6D license.

Vibetrippin

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 10:30:17 AM »
You are correct. I said Canada, when I should have said BC. My mistake.