General > Off Topic

MSF approves the 2012 Zero XU as a M/C trainer

(1/2) > >>

Richard230:
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation has approved the 2012 Zero XU for use in their motorcycle training program. Here is the article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/26/2012-zero-xu-approved-for-use-in-msf-training-courses/

I guess it will be easier riding around the parking lot without having to worry about using the clutch or figuring out how to shift a motorcycle gearbox. 

Gavin:
Yeah...when I took my m/c drivers test I rode my Stella...150cc 2 stroke...

she was a manual, but also small and light...I zipped through the course in no time and got a few dirty looks from all the noobs on 800 pound Hogs waiting behind me.

Gavin

FreepZ:
The article makes a valid point about using the XU to learn about bikes.

--- Quote ---While learning on an XU would be an excellent way to solidify basic handling skills, it would seem to do little to prepare a rider for actually throwing a leg over most motorcycles.
--- End quote ---

Can someone get a motorcycle license riding an XU, and then use that license to ride a regular bike with a clutch? That seems kind of dangerous to me. Of course they do the same with cars; I can get a driver's license only driving an automatic and then buy a car with a manual gear box. It's not an issue for cars since automatics are ubiquitous, while manual cars are the exception. With bikes, a manual transmission is the norm.

protomech:
Some states (AL) don't even require a riding test to get your M certification.

Agree that the XU is not a good choice to learn if you plan to ride a typical motorcycle. However, there are automatic ICE motorcycles available (Honda NC700, Aprilia Mana) if you are disinterested in learning or operating a clutch and sequential shifter. Many scooters are automatic as well, but the MSF has a separate scooter course.

I would assume the XU would be offered alongside a conventional motorcycle, so that you could choose what you wanted to learn on. The opportunity to learn the more important controls without also struggling with a clutch could attract new riders who would otherwise dismiss motorcycling as a legitimate form of transportation - and perhaps more importantly, new circles of riders.

A conventional motorcycle has five basic controls: handlebars, throttle, clutch, sequential manual transmission, front/rear brakes. Both the clutch and transmission are crutches required for a combustion engine bike, although they can provide some benefits to low-powered electrics like the Empulse.

Higher power electrics, like the Lightning race bike (or supposedly the BRD redshift, which has a bit less power than the Empulse but far less weight, perhaps a lower top speed as well?) can power-wheelie at will at low speeds. Torque doesn't need multiplication at that point!

Vibetrippin:
In Canada if you take your motorcycle road test on anything that doesn't have a clutch you get an "S" restriction. Meaning that you have your motorcycle license but only on vehicles that don't have a clutch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version