Author Topic: Running costs  (Read 828 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Running costs
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:56:30 PM »
I know we have compared the cost of owning and running an electric motorcycle before, compared with an IC motorcycle, but it really hit home for me yesterday. 

On Saturday, I took my BMW R1200R to my dealer for its 24K servicing, plus a brake fluid change for the ABS system.  The total cost for this service was $850.  It costs me about 2 cents a mile in electrical power to ride my Zero.  So it looks like I could have ridden my Zero S over 40,000 miles for the cost of just one major service for my IC BMW. 

If you ask me, I think electric motorcycle manufacturers should emphasize this aspect of riding an EV, compared with an IC vehicle.

As we already know here, between the cost of gasoline and periodic servicing, you can save a whole lot of money when you ride electric. All you have to do is to be able to afford the initial price and be willing to ride within its capabilities. You will come out ahead of the game in the long run when owning an electric motorcycle. I think Brammo should hit the major motorcycle magazine editors over then head with this fact when they get the Empulse R to test.   :)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Running costs
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 09:49:22 PM »
I totally agree Richard. And even if you DIY like I did on my R1200R and now my TMax, it's still costly because they get you on parts, not to mention the hassle.

It was my major service on my TMax, lying on the cold cement, flashlight in my mouth, trying to break a spark plug loose with the only wrench that would fit in the impossibly cramped space, a shorty socket, as my arthritic fingers objected, as I bashed my knuckle for the 4th time, that it really hit me: I NEED AN ELECTRIC BIKE!

Car Loss

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Re: Running costs
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 09:18:24 PM »
Anyone who's a member of this board is not representative of the public at large... even among motorcyclists, you're asking a lot.  As long as more than a few people (besides true hard-luck types, or those with terrible credit) are still leasing automobiles, I won't hold my breath.  As long as Chrysler ads (if I have to single out just one) look like they do, I won't hold my breath.  Heck, I once had a coworker brag about how awesome the extended warranty he got from an electronics retailer was.

We are talking about riders, not accountants.

Carlos