Author Topic: Team Icon Brammo Gear?  (Read 4539 times)

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Team Icon Brammo Gear?
« on: May 14, 2012, 09:01:26 AM »
Should we be expecting any special gear from Icon?

Also if you are not aware and most likely not, I'm an inexperienced rider. I haven't climb on the back of an iron horse since childhood. So I've been doing a lot of online window shopping for gear. So my question is; outside of the basic gear (helmet, gloves, boots) what is a must have and what is an overkill?
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Team Icon Brammo Gear?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 09:45:23 AM »
Basic gear also includes armored pants and riding jacket. ATGATT = all the gear, all the time.
So consider the price of all this (expensive for clothes) in your budget for the bike. Still cheaper than skin grafts.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:16:46 AM »
I am a city/suburban rider....

I ALWAYS wear a full face helmet, Jacket with armor and gloves...I don't wear the pants or boots...just jeans and regular shoes.

Gavin

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:47:18 AM »
So my question is; outside of the basic gear (helmet, gloves, boots) what is a must have and what is an overkill?

I try wear as much protection as I can. You could be the best rider in the world and the risk is still there from cars, trucks, weather, etc. I believe in ATGATT.

I wear:

Full face helmet
Riding gloves (gaunlet-style mostly)
Motorcycle jacket with armor (shoulder, spine, elbows)
Motorcycle overpants with armor for hips and knees
Appropriate boots (with a hard toe) that lace above the ankle

It slows me down a bit to put the gear on, but I have more fun riding when I feel safer.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 11:59:39 AM »
I would love some Team Icon Brammo gear....

but my wife might kill me....I have 4 riding jackets, 4 helmets...my wife is always complaining that my gear takes up too much space...

might be time to give some gear to my friends so I "have" to upgrade :)

Gavin

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 07:28:39 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! It's seems I'm on the right track. I think Icon has some of the best gear as far as style and function. Speed and Strength is cool too. I've been reading about the D3O armor and Kevlar clothing. It is expensive but I'll prioritize and get a little at a time. This time of the year in S.FL I'm looking at rain gear... 
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »
I use:
Speed and Strength "Moment of Truth" mesh gloves for warm weather: http://www.ssgear.com/catalog/item.cfm?ItemsID=19fdf044-34ee-4dbf-b746-0c1d15115c35
FieldSheer slip-on pants
FieldSheer mesh jacket - apparently, discontinued -
Vega Touring boots.
AGV Miglia helmet.

I have a FroggToggs rain suit that I have worn a couple times over the above jacket and pants.
I also have a pair of cold-weather gloves but can't recall the name brand.  They made a big difference to me during the cool weather this year.

I'd like to get:
a leather riding jacket with armor
a helmet with better ventilation
boots that looked more "business like" so I could wear them all day without feeling like a storm trooper.
pants that have armor in the hips and tailbone (as well as the knees) - the field sheer pants have decent knee armor, but nothing elsewhere. 
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 07:33:16 AM »
I'd like to get some new gear too.

Here's what I'm wearing at the moment:

http://freepz.wordpress.com/2012/03/21/gearing-up/

The suit is pretty good, but old. I bought a spine protector that I slip under the jacket, but apart from that it doesn't have any armor. What I do like about that suit is that is fits me very well and the pants attach to the jacket with a big zipper that goes all the way around. (Most jackets I've seen these days only have a small zipped up section that joins the jacket to the pants at the back.) I only wear the pants when I plan to do a lot of highway riding, but wear the rest of the gear all the time.

Rain gear would be a good idea, but so far I've been lucky and only hit 10 minutes of rain at a time. My suit isn't waterproof, but keeps me a bit dry enough. A good old Florida downpour will get me soaked.

I would like to get new gear, but it's not easy. Good leather gear is very expensive, so I'm not going to get something unless I'm sure it's right. I really like the wrap around zipper, but I haven't seen that anywhere. I don't want to get a full one piece suit because the pants are overkill for a short trip to the store and would tempt me to skip wearing the suit at all.

Oh well. My current gear will have to do until I find something else.
Richard #935 #595 #44

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 08:49:37 AM »
That's a nice suit, Freepz, and yes -- that wrap around zipper is a rare feature.  What brand is the suit?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 06:09:02 AM »
Icon Overlord has a zipper making there leather pants and jacket a one piece.
http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=3428&id=12243
I'm really hoping that Icon comes up with some gear like they did for a GSX-R...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:15:22 AM by Virtually Yours »
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 11:08:29 PM »
That's a nice suit, Freepz, and yes -- that wrap around zipper is a rare feature.  What brand is the suit?

It's a Dainese, but it's really quite old. A label inside the suit proudly proclaims that the suit was worn by bike racers between 1976 and 1984 :o. I bought it second hand about 10 years ago and, apart from the lack of armor and a few scuffs from the previous owner, it's been a very good suit.

Icon Overlord has a zipper making there leather pants and jacket a one piece.

The Overlord gear looks very good. I would have to get the Overlord Prime, since it has the (three quarter) zipper, and the Overlord Prime Pants that goes with it.

What I like about that gear is that it's for street riders, rather than track, so I wouldn't look like some kind of wannabe racer when I'm off the bike. It also looks a bit more comfortable and practical that a full race suit. However, $810 ($490 + $320) for the jacket and pants is pretty darn expensive, especially after spending $19k on the Empulse. Of course if I could get that suit with a Brammo logo on it, I may be more inclined to get it. :D
Richard #935 #595 #44