Author Topic: Have you been ICE'd?  (Read 2033 times)

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
Re: Have you been ICE'd?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 07:49:48 PM »
Here is the latest on the ICE'ing issue of spaces in Santa Monica and the video above that I made. Lt. Trisler of the SMPD has been great as well as has one of the Deputy City Attorneys.

The signs at the locations in my video have to be changed by ECOtalty to comply with the new California State law.

Then the businesses, in this case Whole Foods and Ralph's, have to indicate to the PD that they allowed the new signs because they want enforcement on their private property.

So, the new actions are to call the manager at Ralph's (310) 582-3900, and tell them you want them to allow the PD to come onto their property and enforce the law. Same for Whole Foods, (310) 315-0662. Thanks.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 01:09:12 PM »
And Skuzzle: There is sometimes a LEAF at the Ralph's and I looked at the timer and one day and he had been hooked up for 7 hours and was still counting. Clearly somebody that worked in the neighborhood and plugged in and just left the car there since this charger is free. There is another charger there, but it is often ICE'd.

Leaving an EV plugged in all day on a Level 2 charger is just as bad as ICE'ing in my book.

Doing some other research, I found a post about a Nissan Leaf's trip up to Nissan HQ in Franklin, TN. The owner reports that there are 180 Leafs at Nissan's HQ and only 30 charging stations.
http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com/2012/05/31/franklin-quick-charge-a-success/

The Leaf owner has a card displayed on the dash showing when the owner is okay with unplugging the car.

This seems like a reasonable compromise .. assuming of course that one charging station can service multiple adjacent parking spots.

Card was found here:
http://www.evchargernews.com/chargeprotocolcard.pdf
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »
Forbes covered EV plug courtesy recently.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/toddwoody/2012/09/21/8-tips-for-avoiding-electric-car-road-rage/

Ford has a plugin courtesy placard (PDF) as well.

The Focus EV has a full charge indicator by the plug, so you know when it's full and won't hurt the owner to unplug. (except maybe in airport long term storage? probably have to be some other arrangements there, kind of an edge case)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:10:24 AM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »
Not only have I been ICEed at the local "green" grocery store, but yesterday I found an SUV parked across their two motorcycle-only parking spaces.   >:(   There were plenty of other car parking spots available in the lot, but the motorcycle ones were 10 feet closer to the store entry.  No wonder the news media reports that Americans keep getting fatter and fatter.  Many seem to eat a lot of food and abhor exercise, even walking a few extra steps to get their groceries is too much effort.    :(
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 01:32:47 PM »
Not only have I been ICEed at the local "green" grocery store, but yesterday I found an SUV parked across their two motorcycle-only parking spaces.   >:(   There were plenty of other car parking spots available in the lot, but the motorcycle ones were 10 feet closer to the store entry.  No wonder the news media reports that Americans keep getting fatter and fatter.  Many seem to eat a lot of food and abhor exercise, even walking a few extra steps to get their groceries is too much effort.    :(

Wow, thats f'ed up... just begging to be pinstriped ;)
I am the opposite way, I like to park way in the back so I dont have to worry about door dings... but then again, im a skinny dude too.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 12:52:59 AM »
Not only have I been ICEed at the local "green" grocery store, but yesterday I found an SUV parked across their two motorcycle-only parking spaces. 

I wonder if getting a store manager involved would be effective.

Certainly leaving a politely worded note that hints at sliced tires might work, or at least feel good >:(