Author Topic: Motorcycle question: Can a dual sport handle gravel on pavement better?  (Read 842 times)

Xaero

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
I just had a friend who hit gravel spot on pavement with his Shadow and lost it.  He is ok (he bailed off when he knew there was trouble) but the bike itself went flipping down the road and took a lot of damage.  He wasn't going to fast and was turning into an apartment complex. 

If a dual sport had hit something like the above would the same happen?

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle question: Can a dual sport handle gravel on pavement better?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 10:09:57 AM »
It is hard to tell.  The rider has more to do with the bike handling safely on gravel than does the design of the bike - in my opinion.  In any case, the biggest factor when riding over gravel, after the rider's experience and skill, is the tread on the tires.  Aggressive tread really helps.  Unfortunately, there are very few (if any) aggressive tread design tires in sizes that will fit a cruiser. 
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 03:03:31 AM »
I live on a gravel road an ride a Suzuki Vstrom and sometimes my wife's Suzuki C50 cruiser.  I pretty much fly on the road with the Vstrom, but need to be more careful on the cruiser.  Other than tire tread, the biggest difference is the ability to stand up on the Vstrom putting my weight lower on the bike.  That said, I still would probably have issues if I hit gravel on top of pavement that I didn't see coming.

Vibetrippin

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »
Gravel on pavement is actually worse than gravel roads. Loose rock on pavement acts like ball bearings. It doesn't have anywhere to compress so it rolls, with your tire on top. Going straight over it isn't too bad, but trying to lean when it happens is a recipe for an accident.