Author Topic: Bought a Zero  (Read 955 times)

machone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Bought a Zero
« on: October 08, 2012, 04:25:57 AM »
Well, this morning I ordered a 2013 Black Zero S! ;D

Despite my previous criticism of Brammo marketing and communication my Zero purchase absolutely was NOT inevitable.

Three years ago I decided an electric bike was the way forward for fun and common sense commuting. Mission motors didn't deliver but the Empulse had 'ICE equivalent' promises all over the place. I put my name down. Now it looks like next August before Empulse delivery here in Holland but that's not definate and all this time I'm using petrol. By August, it'll probably be a little behind the times if progress continues at the current rate. I will have been riding my good looking similar spec. 2013 S for six months by then - that's €2400 worth of petrol.

I was interested in the Saietta for the performance promise and my Nationalism and Managing Director  University colleague. The initial communication(with colleague) was really good but unfortunately it has all gone a bit 'Brammo'. I was told I could be one of the 'chosen few' to receive a pre-production bike but then they wouldn't want any data from me??! Then the very detailed commute and work pattern data I spent time creating seemed to get lost in the excitement. I tried to arrange a test ride at Spa but they were too busy and when I was available in London they only had 20 minutes for me. Not good.

I wish ALL EV companies good luck. I don't like our dependancy on oil. I still think the Empulse may have the edge for a fun ride but for a commuting tool with real world performance the 2013 Zero S has enough for me and is available sooner. Looks good too.

Also, and this shouldn't be underestimated, the guys at the Alkmaar depot are very helpful and honest which swung it for me - it counts! In this case, it counts to the tune of about €15000!!

As far as Brammo and Agility go, I'm out. I was wondering about taking my name off the list but I'm not sure the list is relevant.

Thanks for the discussion and information here, it's been fun.

All the best

Richard(machone)
Not long now

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Bought a Zero
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:04:13 AM »
Congratulations Richard.  Best of luck with you new Zero.  Too bad you have more waiting in store until it arrives, but at least the wait will be during the winter and not during nice riding weather.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 11:13:16 AM »
Congratulations on the purchase.

So when you say "ordered", does that mean that you paid for it too? Do you have a firm delivery date?

I would like to know how real your order is, especially in comparison to Brammo. All I've been able to do is put down a $500 deposit with a promise that the Empulse will start being delivered in November with no idea when my Empulse will be available to me. I believe that Zero have been much better at putting out product than Brammo, and I would like to see if that's still the case.

(By the way, this thread is currently being Dominated by folks named "Richard" ;))
Richard #935 #595 #44

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 12:13:44 PM »
When I ordered my 2012 Zero in late December, my local dealer (not Zero) asked for a $1000 deposit. At that time the bikes were estimated by Zero to arrive sometime in March (as I recall). They actually started arriving on my dealer's showroom floor in late January and my specific bike arrived in early February. 
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 02:27:05 PM »
All I've been able to do is put down a $500 deposit with a promise that the Empulse will start being delivered in November with no idea when my Empulse will be available to me.
November of which year?

machone, congratulations on your Zero order.  Please post when you get it.

machone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 03:08:30 PM »
Thanks, hoping I won't regret buying something without 'upgradeable' batteries. As people have said here before, probably by the time these degrade significantly there'll be third party modifications available and if not I'll look to elmoto for a 'home brew' solution!

Quote from: FreepZ li=topic=1625.msg12094#msg12094 date=1349712796
So when you say "ordered", does that mean that you paid for it too? Do you have a firm delivery date?

€500 deposit. Delivery end of February(not a date).

Please post when you get it.

Will do!

Not long now

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 10:11:50 AM »
Zero continues to really know how to promote their vehicles and to do so at a very low cost.

I have been the owner of a 2012 9-kWh Zero electric motorcycle since February and so far have ridden it 2800 miles.  Last Friday I received a call from Zero's promotion department asking me if I would like to give them an interview about how I liked my Zero, my motorcycle riding history and electric motorcycles in general. Never having been in a movie before (I am not to sure what the CIA did with those shots of me that they took with their surveillance drone), I said sure, that sounds interesting and it might even be fun. So we set up an appointment for a two-man video crew to visit my home on Monday at 1pm.

The Zero film crew showed up on time (not something that happens too often with my local utility crews).  The cameraman was very enthusiastic about my garage and they interviewed me there, standing in front of the Zero while the cameraman and interviewer stood next to my R1200R, while they interviewed me. They also really liked my garage and took film of all of my motorcycles, wall posters and shelves of hazardous chemicals. I spoke about my motorcycle riding history and why I liked to ride the Zero for about 30 minutes and they seemed very happy with my comments. They commented that I did a better job than most of the paid celebrities that they had filmed in the past.

After the interview, they asked me if I would ride around to scenic areas of Pacifica where I would be filmed riding my Zero.  So I rode to Roberts Road, overlooking Highway 1, where they filmed me riding back and forth - with the Pacific Ocean in the background. Then I took them down the road to Rockaway Beach, where they filmed me riding around in the Nick's Restaurant parking lot - with the Pacific Ocean in the background.  After that it was off to the Pacifica State Beach parking lot, where I rode around and they filmed some more - with the Pacific Ocean in the background.  Finally, I rode up and down 4-lane Fassler Avenue a couple of times - with the Pacific Ocean and Rockaway Beach in the background.

The cameraman seemed thrilled with the shots that he got of me riding.  But I wouldn't want his job.  He did much of his on-road filming while standing in the back of the moving pickup truck. Luckily, the truck did not have to make any quick maneuvers and the police must have been on a donut break that afternoon, as they didn't get into trouble for filming without a permit or for riding unsecured in the back of a pickup truck bed. This process took about two hours and we finally returned to my home.  But on the way back I made a couple of passes by the local Union gas station, while I slowed down to look at the $4.70/$4.80/$4.90 fuel price sign.  That was my idea and the crew really liked that. At 3:30 they thanked me for my time and cooperation, we said goodby and they took off.  So ended my day as a movie star.   8)  And guess what?  I won't have to report any additional income for this year to the IRS.   ;)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 10:52:58 AM »
very nice!

gavin

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 11:50:10 AM »
I got a call from Zero as well. They're shipping me a camera.

I don't know what I'm going to record. One of my friends does some video production, I may ask her to come along with me.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 11:50:52 AM »
Great post of your movie debut, Richard.

When is it hitting the theaters?

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 04:16:44 PM »
Great post of your movie debut, Richard.

When is it hitting the theaters?

I think we are talking about the small screen here.  Something about the size of the Zero website.  When it gets posted, I'll let you know.  These owner interviews should be interesting.

That is really cool that Zero is sending Protomech a camera so that he can produce his own testimonial for them.  Like I said, Zero doesn't miss a trick when it comes to promoting their motorcycles at a low cost.  DIY interviews and commercials.   ;D

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 04:36:48 PM »
Worth noting that they want the camera back ; )
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 05:37:46 PM »
Worth noting that they want the camera back ; )

Well, that does help to keep the production costs down.    ;)