Author Topic: Will the gas tax finally go up?  (Read 561 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Will the gas tax finally go up?
« on: November 23, 2012, 10:37:38 AM »
According to a report on the local radio news station by their business reporter today, raising the gas tax is on the table at the Congressional "fiscal cliff" negotiations table. I say it is about time. Why give the oil companies the money every time they decide to cut back inventories? I figure that the public would barely notice the doubling of the gas tax, considering how much the price of gas swings this way and that way every few months. Our roads and bridges need to be repaired and this is the best way to get the money to do so without having to create an entirely new tax. It just make sense to me and I hope it does to our legislators, too. But then common sense is in short supply in Washington.

Unfortunately, I am not putting any money on the EV tax credit returning. I doubt that is on anyone's table in our lame-duck Congress.   :(
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

oml

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Will the gas tax finally go up?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 12:38:22 PM »
testcases have shown that you may build a stable economy with about 50% oil taxes :)

Deadly Silent Ninja

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Will the gas tax finally go up?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 01:51:34 PM »
As long as they actually use the money to fix the infrastructure, yes, higher gas taxes would make sense. It would probably help even truck companies to cut some costs in service if the roads are better maintained.