Author Topic: Motorcycle.com reviews the Brammo Empulse R  (Read 1083 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Motorcycle.com reviews the Brammo Empulse R
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 01:45:27 PM »
Together the battery packs produce a maximum of 10.2 kWh. This is slightly less than the Lightning’s 12 kWh or up to 11.4 kWh on the all-new 2013 Zero S

1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 02:20:35 PM »
In a more serious vein:

Duke notes that the Empulse’s motor controller doesn’t deliver full juice right off the line, perhaps for rider safety or conserving battery energy.

Very odd.

"Full juice right off the line" is only going to be a very small battery draw. And the clutch would seem to solve the rider safety issue.

I wonder if what we're seeing here, and along similar lines for the Zero, is the absence of the torque surge we get from an ICE bike.

On an ICE bike, when you rev it up to 6k rpm and dump the clutch, you have a fairly large amount of mechanical inertia from the engine (and sometimes a flywheel). This kinetic energy is transferred via the clutch as it slips, as well as whatever torque the motor produces. Net effect is you get a torque surge as the clutch slips until it locks into place .. typically around 10-20 mph.

On an electric bike you do not get this torque surge (because there is very little rotational energy in an electric motor) - instead you get completely linear torque until whatever point it starts to fall off, typically 40-60 mph. If we've grown accustomed to the torque surge, a lack of it will be interpreted as an initial performance limitation.

MO’s Ed-in-Cheese also poo-pooed the software that wouldn’t allow him to clutch up a wheelie, but he was pleased the code writers enabled the ability to perform a burnout!

So both Wes and Troy (who reviewed the Lightning bike, and also rode the Zero in the PIR TTXGP race) have reported an inability to power wheelie. Wonder what the wheelie shots we've seen are, then? Is the wheelie restriction a pre-release software thing?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:15:46 PM »
From the story:

"Despite having six gears we never felt the need to shift beyond third, even for highway cruising. “We were advised to keep the motor in the 5000 to 6000-rpm range for optimal efficiency,” notes Duke, “but first gear at 6000 rpm equals about 50 mph.” So why even have six gears? "

I wonder what was the top speed they went that they never felt the need to shift beyond third?  It doesn't sound like they went for a 100+ mph run where the higher gears would be required.

It sort of brings up the question of how many folks swap rear chain-rings and sacrifice 100+ mph top speeds in order to have even more low-speed acceleration?

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 06:17:14 PM »
It will be interesting to see a side-by-side performance comparison between the Empulse and the 2013 Zero S.  One thing is for sure, the Empulse has the better running gear.  The Zero's Fast Ace suspension is not doing it any favors on the highway, although it may be better when ridden off-road.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »
Motorcycle.com has their video review up:

2013 Brammo Empulse R Review

But sheesh, don't bother reading the comments.   ::)
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 01:24:57 AM »
But sheesh, don't bother reading the comments.   ::)

LOL, YouTube provides the ultimate peanut gallery... Zero to be gained from reading YouTube comments. (except for maybe a headache)

Anyway, sweet freakin burnout at the end there. Id say it was a very positive review... though the comments regarding battery capacity where a bit strange, and may have ruined Proto's day. ;)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
New Review
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »
Looks like a good, honest review. Of course they didn't have the latest software, so the criticism about the abruptness of transition between "go" to "regen" is now moot.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2013-brammo-empulse-r-review-91479.html?utm_source=mo12062012&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
So both Wes and Troy (who reviewed the Lightning bike, and also rode the Zero in the PIR TTXGP race) have reported an inability to power wheelie. Wonder what the wheelie shots we've seen are, then? Is the wheelie restriction a pre-release software thing?

I'm almost totally certain (DAMHIK) that the controller was tweaked to release more amps for the wheelie images.

Matter of fact, it was tweaked just a little bit, compared to how much current COULD have been delivered.

Me? I'd rather have more range than the ability to flip my stupid head backward into the pavement! ;D

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 01:49:06 AM »
Together the battery packs produce a maximum of 10.2 kWh. This is slightly less than the Lightning’s 12 kWh or up to 11.4 kWh on the all-new 2013 Zero S

In all fairness they were comparing apples to apples, and Max kWh, and not nominal to Max.

In your comments about off the line power delivery, I am quite certain the initial punch off the line (or lack there of) in both Zeros and Brammos has been programmed in, and for a reason.  It should be something we will be able to tune out after market later.  For now we'll say they've been "lawyer tunes".  No offense Harry. :D