Author Topic: Happy New Year! What are you're Brammo related plans for 2013?  (Read 1321 times)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Happy New Year! What are you're Brammo related plans for 2013?
« on: January 01, 2013, 02:47:19 PM »
Ok...first...HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Day one of 2013 and there is snow on the mountain and my granddaughter is out sledding on a beautiful, sunny but brisk day.

Couldn't ask for a nicer start.

Second...what is your Brammo/EV plans for 2013?

Me? Looks like a Brammo Enertia Plus in Mid January...then lots of riding and photos and many many (too many?) posts here and at my blog.

Maybe an Empulse R later in the year? ohhh, maybe an Empulse TTX clone...that would be SWEET. Seeing that baby up close was a treat for me in 2012...I liked, but wasn't in love with the original Empulse...that TTX really turned me around...she is a beauty.

As for an EV car....well I just don't ride a car enough to justify it at this time. Likely I'll pay off the pickup (which I bought just to take the Enertia around the country and SECA and such) and then think about an EV car....though if they made an EV pickup I might be tempted :)

My wife bought a Mazda CX5 when they first came out and loves it...and she usually keeps a car 10-12 years....but she has already decided to get a plug in hybrid in a couple of years...maybe the C-Max or something similar. I would lean more Tesla S...or hopefully whatever is their small model coming in 2014-2015...

We really only need one "large" car...something for a few people and to throw skis and sleds in for winter fun.

Gavin

ps...saw a Fisker Karma riding down the street in Albuquerque just the other day...Was surprised to see on in person out here in New Mexico. A very nice looking car. The back end is kinda...Maserati-ish...Didn't know the rear looked like that...It was fun to see it in town.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:53:49 PM by Gavin »

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year! What are you're Brammo related plans for 2013?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 03:24:56 PM »
ps...saw a Fisker Karma riding down the street in Albuquerque just the other day...Was surprised to see on in person out here in New Mexico. A very nice looking car. The back end is kinda...Maserati-ish...Didn't know the rear looked like that...It was fun to see it in town.

You saw a Karma that was not on fire? just kidding :)

My 2013 plan: To become the first Empulse owner in The Netherlands!
Once you go EV, gas is history!

FrankH

• Empulse Guru
  • First Enertia+ in the Netherlands!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 04:01:28 PM »
I plan to:
  • Install an outside wall socket for easy charging.
  • Buy side bags.
  • Add passenger pegs.
  • Ride my Plus as much as possible (first I'll have to wait some more for the wheels of burocracy to grind me a licence plate though).
Not necessarily in that order, hopefully the licence plate comes first ;)

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 04:24:34 PM »
No EVs for me, but I may be getting a motorcycle again after mine were stolen 2 years ago.

oml

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 04:28:31 PM »
My plans:
getting my hands on / testdriving a zero fx, a zero s and a brammo empulse. Could be quite difficult, havnt seen one live yet :D
Another problem with it: my license is still restricted to 25 kW, and all three vehicles easily pass that, they would have to make an restricted mode and get it certificated by german authorities.
Even if they manage to do that ... I dont think I would buy yet, given the yearly increments and the shortage of money (still have to earn my final 5k for the bike anyway (financing is a nogo))  :D

------------
furthermore, consider that the empulse should have abs :)

<edit> I also want to convince my local office for bureaucracy to reopen the (famous?) Norisring racetrace http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norisring for electric motorcycle racing. The main reason for its closure (after the reopening 2001-2007) was the immense noise generated by the motorcycles, and EV would nullify this argument :)
I dont have that much hope though - bureaucracy is slow and most times blind to new ideas. </edit>
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 04:38:30 PM by oml »

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 04:52:10 PM »
Another problem with it: my license is still restricted to 25 kW, and all three vehicles easily pass that, they would have to make an restricted mode and get it certificated by german authorities.

This may not be a problem, my Vectrix has a peak power of something like 22KW but the registration lists the continued power (about 5KW). If the same is done in Germany than the bike may stay below 25KW. Perhaps Zero and Brammo are smart and ensure continued power is below 25KW  ;)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
The 2012 Zero is rated at 12 kW continuous.  So it is quite possible that even the Empulse might be rated just under 25 KW, continuous and no doubt the Plus would be for sure.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 05:48:58 PM »
My immediate Brammo plans are to get my Empulse 12V accessory port to put out 12V. Right now, it's 0V.

I'm thinking that I should get a pair of stand-alone heated gloves. Webbike World gave a great review to the VQuattro "Squadra" gloves which certainly look the business. Problem: cannot find a dealer in the U.S.

Anybody in Europe want to recommend an online shop that could ship out a pair of Large without the VAT?

Next is to mount the Rizoma Zero11 turn signals that arrived yesterday, whose design is really really nice.

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 06:05:21 PM »
An Enertia+ only has 13kW peak power according to the site.  But what about an XU instead of an FX?  21kW peak power and less expensive than the FX.

oml

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 07:01:51 PM »
@kingcharles,richard230:
You think finding out if the power given on registration paper is the maximum or the continous one? Wroooooong. Have been digging through a thick stack of paper last two hours, so far the "Nennleistung" (nominal capacity) isnt defined properly.
Writing laws is always harder than it seems.

@ttxgpfan:
Yeah, if I wanted a XU that would be a great idea ;)

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 07:45:29 PM »

You saw a Karma that was not on fire? just kidding :)

My 2013 plan: To become the first Empulse owner in The Netherlands!

Parked near me when I rode over to another government building for training. Someone is making some money doing whatever they're doing..
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 04:01:55 AM »
@kingcharles,richard230:
You think finding out if the power given on registration paper is the maximum or the continous one? Wroooooong. Have been digging through a thick stack of paper last two hours, so far the "Nennleistung" (nominal capacity) isnt defined properly.
Writing laws is always harder than it seems.

@ttxgpfan:
Yeah, if I wanted a XU that would be a great idea ;)

Just ask Zero how the current 2012 bikes are registered. This will give good indication how it is done...

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 10:21:26 AM »
According to the VIN code explained on page 1.5 of my 2012 Zero S/DS owner's manual, my 9 kWh Zero S is registered with the U.S. DOT as having a "Net Brake Horsepower" of 9.1 kW (12.2 HP).  This is designated in the 7th and 8th numbers from the left on the VIN, which is "M3" in the registration number.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »
Digits 4-8 are manufacturer specific. I believe they can assign the digits as they like.. so while the Zero may list 9.1 kW for the 30 minute continuous power test or whatever, there are no standards dictating power is placed in the VIN. Most motorcycle manufacturers do indicate displacement in this set of digits.

2013 Empulse is 51RUB556*DA******

UB556 is the manufacturer specific encoding. First * is a check character. D = 2013. A = built in plant 'A' (A = Ashland?).

2010 Enertia is 51RUB213*AA******

UB213 is the manufacturer specific encoding. First * is a check character. A = 2010. A = built in plant 'A' (A = Ashland?).

2012 Zero S is 538SM3M3*CC******

SM3M3 is the manufacturer specific encoding. First * is a check character. C = 2012. C = built in plant 'C' (Zero says C = California).
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 02:44:19 PM »
Happy new years fellas! Should get my Empulse this month if im lucky! ;D ;D ;D

Sounds like this will be a big month (year) for many of us...

I still dont know what dealership is going to be carrying Brammo in Denver though :'(
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 02:46:38 PM by EmpulseBuyer »