Author Topic: Empulse's max sustained speed 70mph?  (Read 1279 times)

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Empulse's max sustained speed 70mph?
« on: January 07, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
So I saw a link to a nice write up about the Zero S in this December's issue of Sport Bikes Inc. http://sportbikesincmag.com/SBI/SBI-1212.html   Jump to page 18.

The only thing is they briefly compare is to the Empulse, claiming that the 2012 Zero S can maintain a sustained 75mph but that the Empulse can only sustain 70mph.  I am going to stay calm, and simply state that I think another advantage of the transmission is that you can run a higher speed while staying within the continuous ratings of the motor.  Also, if it can hit over 100, then why would its max continuous only be 70?  For a minute I thought they may have meant the Enertia, but it's top speed is 60.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Empulse's max sustained speed 70mph?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 05:18:20 PM »
(looks like it's on page 19)

I've read a lot of things about the Empulse.  I've never seen anything about a maximum sustained speed of 70. 
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:31:28 PM »
If you search on the Empulse spec page for the word "sustained" it comes right after 70mph, but they are talking about the testing requirements for the range test, not a spec for the product.  Sounds like the author misread the specs page...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 05:42:08 PM »
Well, they call it the "Empluse". Maybe that's some secret combination of the Enertia Plus and the Empulse.. but maybe it's just sloppy journalism.

They also quote range and battery lifetime for the ZF9 bike at the top of their specifications list at the end, then quote weight, charge time, and then battery lifetime (again) for the ZF6 bike below. Plus they mention 10 spoke wheels.. my bike and the pictured bikes reviewed have six spoke wheels.

Despite the sloppiness, it's a pretty positive review of the Zero .. and I agree with some of their conclusions.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 06:12:22 PM »
Gee, I didn' t know there was a motorcycle magazine that I don't subscribe to.  ;)

Those photos of the Zero look kind of familiar and much of the article could have been written by the Zero marketing staff.  But still, it is nice to see Zero getting some more good press - even if it is of the 2012 model, which is no longer being produced.   ???
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 01:27:18 AM »
Those photos are from their press packet.  I have them on my hard drive.  I am more curious as to the timing of the article.  Buzz is good.  Talking about last year's bike that is about to be obsolete . . . ?

AJ Nin

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 08:04:54 PM »
With the 2012 Zero S, there is the no gear box and it is air cooled. One would think the Empulse would not be limited at all or even have to worry about sustained speed. It is a lot heavier though, so there's that. If it couldn't maintain an indicated 80 mph, better yet 85 mph,  I would not be able to trust it riding on the interstate because that is how fast people ride drive around here. Can you imagine trying to pass someone and have your bike decide to slow down on it's own? Hope we find out soon the correct information. This is huge.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:07:41 PM by AJ Nin »

thespecialone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Brammo
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:01:05 PM »
Flar is correct this was a simple mistake by Allan at SportBikes Inc when he looked at the spec sheet for the Empulse.
" SAE Highway / Constant Speed Riding Range Test Procedure for Electric Motorcycles (70 mph / 113 km/h sustained). "
The Empulse is capable of 100+ mph and this speed can be sustained.
SportBikes Inc will make a notice of correction in their next issue.
Adrian

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 09:34:44 PM »
The Empulse can certainly sustain more than 70 mph .. at least until the battery pack is depleted.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Re: Empulse's max sustained speed 70mph?
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 10:00:15 PM »
Flar is correct this was a simple mistake by Allan at SportBikes Inc when he looked at the spec sheet for the Empulse.
" SAE Highway / Constant Speed Riding Range Test Procedure for Electric Motorcycles (70 mph / 113 km/h sustained). "
The Empulse is capable of 100+ mph and this speed can be sustained.
SportBikes Inc will make a notice of correction in their next issue.

I've gotten used to Brian dropping in, but thespecialone only shows up here when the gibbous moon reflects on the dew in the moors. An auspicious occasion, for sure.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:01:02 PM by Brammofan »
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 11:40:20 PM »
The Empulse can certainly sustain more than 70 mph .. at least until the battery pack is depleted.

How fast can it go after that?

I've gotten used to Brian dropping in, but thespecialone only shows up here when the gibbous moon reflects on the dew in the moors. And auspicious occasion, for sure.

Wow, Brammofan... Well said sir. The English language is your truly your bitch. Kinda the other way around for me. :P