Author Topic: Empulse tail tidy mod from BrammoBrian  (Read 8899 times)

CAT in HAWAII

• Empulse Guru
  • Empulse in HAWAII ,,,,
    • View Profile
Re: Empulse tail tidy mod from BrammoBrian
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 03:27:32 PM »
 8) well,, can't mod anything til I get my bike!

But, it's great people are doing it already, with great pics and references,,,

Test drive was great, but it's been 19 days since the test drive & sign the papers,,
& anticipation is killin' me waiting for the bike,,,
I guess that's one of the bummers with living in Hawaii,,, waiting for delivery,,,
But,,, can't do nut in' about it!!!
Crashed! Don't go up against a semi-truck,, it ain't pretty!

2017 Indian Chief Classic,,,

SWAPPED!! First 2013 Empulse R in HAWAII !!! 🏄

-=SOLD=- HD Sportster 1200 Sport Anniversary Ed. -=SOLD=-

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 04:42:46 PM »
Same windscreen that Zero has been selling for the 2012 S bikes (with a big markup). I kind of liked how it looked until I saw it on a bike. Personal preference and all.

Terry @ offthegrid uses it, he thinks it helps aero some. So there's that.

Can anybody tell me what that windshield is named? I've look at the Twisted Throttle website, but there are hundreds of products over there, and I can't find it.
Richard #935 #595 #44

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 05:11:55 PM »
kcoplan @ EMF identified the screen:
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2358.0

It is an MRA Racing Screen.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-racingscreen-style-rnb-windshield-for-naked-sport-bikes-cruisers-enduro-and-dual-sport-motorcycles

Note: the MRA screen claims to come with universal mounting hardware. The Zero kit is priced much higher, but I don't know if it has special mounting hardware or not.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 07:55:58 PM »
It is an MRA Racing Screen.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-racingscreen-style-rnb-windshield-for-naked-sport-bikes-cruisers-enduro-and-dual-sport-motorcycles

Note: the MRA screen claims to come with universal mounting hardware. The Zero kit is priced much higher, but I don't know if it has special mounting hardware or not.

That's the one.  We mounted it with the standard hardware kit.  The thing looks very "Batman"-esque, but after taking the bike for a ride today, I'm impressed with how well it kept the wind off my chest.  Keep in mind I'm 5'9", so results may vary... .  I'd advise to go with the clear version as you can tuck behind it, in which case you'll want to be able to see the road ahead!  I'd also take a dremel and trim off those outside "bat wing" corners, but that's just me...

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 07:36:58 PM »
Looks a lot like the Suzuki Gladius headlight (or an LSL or GSG knockoff), I'm sure aftermarket screens for the Gladius would look good on the Empulse as well. Lots of bikes use a similar headlight on a naked looking bike and have aftermarket screens. Some minimal, some a little more full.

CAT in HAWAII

• Empulse Guru
  • Empulse in HAWAII ,,,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
You're not as Gung ho as Ain or Shinysideup then. They didn't wait at all before they started to modify their bikes!

I plan keeping my bike pretty much stock, but I'm probably going to get a windshield as soon as possible to help reduce drag at highway speeds. Thanks Brian, for letting us know that an official Brammo windshield is on the way, and that a reasonable substitute is available right now.
Was wondering, any word of when we're gonna see the official top trunk or windshield or any other mods available from BRAMMO ? On the website or  email to those that have purchased? Or a nice shiny catalog of 50+ items to choose from would be nice!  ???

Hopefully by mid may for the summer season, but was wondering if anyone has a good guess-to-mate???

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 05:47:34 PM »
While I was loitering around the Brammo team at Daytona, I asked a few of the guys when they were going to be making some fairings for the Empulse. The problem that they are having is that they are a small team, and they have lots of projects to work on (although they weren't going to tell me what those projects were :P). It's probably going to be some time before many items will be available.

It's not as pretty as the forthcoming Brammo "official" windscreen, but it does work and it's not too pricey. 

From that, I presume that they are somewhat close to an official windshield, which is great, since that's a simple and effective add-on. On the other hand, the aftermarket windshield available from MRA (see here) is probably just as effective and perhaps less expensive (although not nearly as pretty) as an official Brammo windshield.

Also:

Would you be interested in a Titanium bolt kit?  We've developed a kit for the TTX.  It would be slightly less useless as you'd be saving weight versus the standard hardware. If so, tell Don at Scuderia...

The battery bracket to frame bolts are titanium as is the shock bolt.  They are tapered head sockets from Pro-Bolt.  We also upgrade the brake caliper bolts, which saves the most weight.

So, while not an official Brammo product, a Titanium bolt kit is available.
Richard #935 #595 #44

CAT in HAWAII

• Empulse Guru
  • Empulse in HAWAII ,,,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 06:06:04 PM »
While I was loitering around the Brammo team at Daytona, I asked a few of the guys when they were going to be making some fairings for the Empulse. The problem that they are having is that they are a small team, and they have lots of projects to work on (although they weren't going to tell me what those projects were :P). It's probably going to be some time before many items will be available.

It's not as pretty as the forthcoming Brammo "official" windscreen, but it does work and it's not too pricey. 

From that, I presume that they are somewhat close to an official windshield, which is great, since that's a simple and effective add-on. On the other hand, the aftermarket windshield available from MRA (see here)

So, while not an official Brammo product, a Titanium bolt kit is available.
Wow! That's great news!
Thanks!!!

aledbetter

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 10:09:54 PM »
So back to the origin of this thread...
What did you use for the clean tail?

I looked through my box of tails from other bikes and couldn't find anything that I could modify easily...
2013 Brammo Empulse R - fun
2012 Ducati Panagale S - fast
2010 KTM 530 EXC - dirty

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 01:04:49 PM »

I found a use for the passenger handles...since I will mostly ride alone, and when I do ride with my wife, well she always holds on to me...which is nice...

I think it looks much sleeker...it would take modding the handles, but not too hard...it would be nice as a factory standard instead of me cut and pasting...but then I'm always looking for ways to make Brammo spend money.... :)

gavin

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 02:44:45 PM »
Looks good.. though I worry about daylight visibility.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »
Hmmm, Hand signals :)

But really, come on...It's the Empulse...Ain't no car coming up and catching you from behind
 :o

Gavin

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 08:47:10 PM »
So what is needed for the Tail Tidy Mod?

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 10:38:51 AM »
So what is needed for the Tail Tidy Mod?

You just need the new bracket from Brammo or your dealer.  The lighting and license plate bracket bolt right on with the existing hardware and the whole thing mounts to the bike with the same hardware as the stock bracket.   

Note: This mod will not work with the GIVI side bags, as the turnsignals in the "tucked" location will crash into the bags.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 02:50:18 PM »
So is the bracket for sale at the Brammo store?

I don't plan on getting side bags...the Empulse is too pretty without them...will use my messenger bag or my back pack...and probably get a big tail bag for "trips" like over night camping.

I want to do the tail tidy and bar end mirrors probably as soon as I get the bike. Any other mods would wait a bit...though those adjustable clip ons look amazing.

Ask Greg to work on this:

with A being better than B :)

Might get my bike in a week or two? Would be cool to do tail tidy on day one. Mirrors too. Oh, and maybe the raise seat mod like the TTX, but that would require a person who is good at upholstery...and that ain't me.

Gavin