Author Topic: Empulse Service Experience  (Read 1030 times)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Empulse Service Experience
« on: January 11, 2013, 08:20:28 PM »
So last week I see a battery fault code while riding on the freeway. (Don't ask me the number, because I've forgotten it by now!)

Later, in the evening, I mention that the bike threw a code in an email to Adam Lukoic, Brammo's Service Manager, with whom I had been corresponding about the 12V accessory current capacity. I asked Adam if he thought I could ride the bike without damaging it. This was around 10 pm. At 11 pm, he emails me back, asking me to send him the bike's log files for the last 2 days. After finding the very cute thumb drive under the seat, I copy the files to him.

The next morning he calls me to tell me the logs pointed to a technical condition about one of the batteries that, while not at all dangerous, the techies would like the chance to check everything out in the factory environment, to nip any problems in the bud, here, at the start of production.

The very next day, with the fault code having erased itself after an overnight charge, I drive the bike to Scuderia West, where Brammo has arranged for me to receive a loaner, while their driver trucks my bike back to its home base in Ashland.

My bike is coming back to me today, within a week, and Adam called me to say they learned some things that will help them improve their assembly techniques going forward, and, oh, just to make sure this fluke wouldn't be repeated again on my bike, they took the opportunity to replace all seven of my batteries!

Now THAT's some service. ;D

I was fully aware, when I ordered the Empulse, that I was an early adopter and therefore expected some "issues" to surface. No manufacturer (not even Toyota or BMW) can anticipate all the permutations that can happen in the real world. I'm very grateful that the company behind this great product happens to have immense integrity and efficient follow-through. I feel very well taken care of.

Thank you Adam, Brammo, and Scuderia West.

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Empulse Service Experience
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 09:04:11 PM »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Re: Empulse Service Experience
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 10:48:48 PM »
This is the Brammo forum, dude, not Facebook. ;)  Say something constructive.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 12:05:04 AM »
Aww hell.  What could I add to that?  But leaving it unrecognized didn't seem appropriate either.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 12:18:37 AM »
Sounds like Brammo is continuing their record of excellent service with the Empulse.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Empulse Service Experience
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 01:23:59 AM »
This is the Brammo forum, dude, not Facebook. ;)  Say something constructive.

Yeah, man, like we're sophisticated over here.
We don't just say, "Like."
We say, "Way cool."  :D

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 02:46:04 PM »
Way Cool!  ;D
Once you go EV, gas is history!

AJ Nin

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
Great service...however, the glass half-empty concern is that there could be a bunch of bikes with battery problems waiting to happen, and I doubt Brammo would be prepared to replace 7 batteries and furnish replacement bikes for all the bikes that have been assembled to date.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 05:32:43 PM »
I would think that they would simply replace them on an as needed basis moving forward.  The extra service for shinysideup had less to do with "uh oh, we'll have to replace all existing batteries" than "after being without his bike for a week we want to make extra double infinity dang sure that his bike never again has a battery fault".  They probably had all of the batteries out of it for diagnosis anyway and they could grab those over there on the test bench and put them (back) in, or they could grab 7 new batteries off the parts shelf as a thank you and donate the 7 other batteries to the refurbished parts bin or long term testing.
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 01:37:16 AM »
I would think that they would simply replace them on an as needed basis moving forward.  The extra service for shinysideup had less to do with "uh oh, we'll have to replace all existing batteries" than "after being without his bike for a week we want to make extra double infinity dang sure that his bike never again has a battery fault".  They probably had all of the batteries out of it for diagnosis anyway and they could grab those over there on the test bench and put them (back) in, or they could grab 7 new batteries off the parts shelf as a thank you and donate the 7 other batteries to the refurbished parts bin or long term testing.

Spot on, as far as my understanding while talking to Adam about this.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:11:44 PM by Shinysideup »

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 10:34:42 AM »
Glad they're correcting problems early.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/