Author Topic: Eclipse black  (Read 1725 times)

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Eclipse black
« on: January 12, 2013, 03:36:26 PM »
I finally got called from the dealer to take my deposit.

I saw on the Brammo facebook page that the Eclipse Black bikes have black forks?  I thought all R's had the adjustable suspension and the "gold" looking fork.

Trying to decide and finalize my color.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Eclipse black
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 05:39:27 PM »
That Facebook photo is an odd one.  It does not say "R" on the frame, but they labeled it an R in the picture title.  It has the black forks, but the carbon fiber panels.

Looking around the various photos they've posted, it seems that an R on the frame correlates heavily with gold forks and no R on the frame correlates heavily with black forks.  I'm guessing that they built a number of test bikes with both the R and the non-R working parts, probably put carbon fiber panels on most of them because that was the first batch of panels they got manufactured and it doesn't affect the testing or performance, and sent them out for riding and pictures.
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 09:08:48 PM »
I finally got called from the dealer to take my deposit.

I saw on the Brammo facebook page that the Eclipse Black bikes have black forks?  I thought all R's had the adjustable suspension and the "gold" looking fork.

Trying to decide and finalize my color.

Flar is correct, the bike on the facebook page is a "bastard" of sorts. It's an engineering test bike used to test various parts and configurations. Sorry for the confusion!   

All Empulse Rs have the gold fully adjustable forks, Parker GVM motor, and carbon fiber front fender, rear fender, upper tank insert, headlamp shroud, and taillamp shroud. 

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 05:24:21 PM »
awesome!  thanks for the clarification

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 05:07:41 PM »
Better photos of the Eclipse Black configuration/scheme on the Empulse R:

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 01:24:40 AM »

Ooooh... now I want that one too! How about that top "tank" cover portion just snap on and off, so we can change colors according to mood? ;)

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 09:46:54 AM »

Ooooh... now I want that one too! How about that top "tank" cover portion just snap on and off, so we can change colors according to mood? ;)

It pretty much does... I would call Don at Scuderia and tell him you'd like a black upper body...

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 08:48:31 PM »

It pretty much does... I would call Don at Scuderia and tell him you'd like a black upper body...

Nice. I will probably order the black tank cover too. I was torn between black and white. Nice to hear its a relatively easy swap. Now how about those gold battery covers on Shelina's R. ;D

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:36:47 PM »
Nice. I will probably order the black tank cover too. I was torn between black and white. Nice to hear its a relatively easy swap. Now how about those gold battery covers on Shelina's R. ;D

Ahem.  You mean TTX.   ;D

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 10:54:25 PM »

Ahem.  You mean TTX.   ;D

OH, yes thats right... I should know better. ;)

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 11:40:43 PM »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

ChrisM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 12:12:43 PM »

All Empulse Rs have the gold fully adjustable forks, Parker GVM motor, and carbon fiber front fender, rear fender, upper tank insert, headlamp shroud, and taillamp shroud.
[/quote]

Sorry to drop in here out of nowhere, but this raises the question that's been starting to nag at me, based on slightly different posts over time:  Is the motor different in the R than the non-R?  Do we know yet?

I've been saying to my dealer that I can wait (not that long, I hope of course!) for the non-R, as carbon fiber and fully adjustable forks are probably overkill for me.  But if paying less for the non-R also means not getting quite the same motor, I have to say I might have to reconsider.

Thanks!

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 01:05:22 PM »
BrammoBrian posted some nice details on the R motor:

SMRE does not manufacture electric motors, so there is no such thing as an SMRE motor.  There have always been motor partners involved in the development of the IET.  The "other" motor we use has the same peak power, just at a different rpm and with different power curve past peak power.  I wouldn't call it a "screamer" - just a motor with slightly different operating characteristics.  Both solutions are great motors and a great fit for the Empulse.  The Parker has the edge in peak torque and continuous power rating owing to a very good cooling design.  This has made it the motor of choice for the higher priced, higher spec Empulse R.

By extension, then, the non-R motor has slightly less peak torque and slightly less continuous power output.

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 06:43:29 PM »
BrammoBrian posted some nice details on the R motor:

SMRE does not manufacture electric motors, so there is no such thing as an SMRE motor.  There have always been motor partners involved in the development of the IET.  The "other" motor we use has the same peak power, just at a different rpm and with different power curve past peak power.  I wouldn't call it a "screamer" - just a motor with slightly different operating characteristics.  Both solutions are great motors and a great fit for the Empulse.  The Parker has the edge in peak torque and continuous power rating owing to a very good cooling design.  This has made it the motor of choice for the higher priced, higher spec Empulse R.

By extension, then, the non-R motor has slightly less peak torque and slightly less continuous power output.

Then Brian goes on a few posts later and says

No comment on the motor for the standard Empulse.    I would also advise this group to avoid speculating... (ha!)

I'm in the same boat as ChrisM. If the standard is getting a lower spec motor, I would pay the extra money for the R.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 08:01:47 PM »
Fair enough - if we're lucky BrammoBrian will clue us in on the non-R motor when the time comes. It's possible that they haven't made the final decision on what motor the non-R will use - presumably the "other" motor has some characteristics (weight, cost, maintenance requirements) that make it worth considering supporting two motor designs.