Author Topic: range in actual use  (Read 1552 times)

webman

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
range in actual use
« on: June 03, 2010, 03:09:36 PM »
All:

I'd first like to thank all of you for making brammoless newbies like me feel welcome! :)

One question that I've been thinking a lot about is the issue of 'range anxiety,' which I'm sure some of you may have dealt with.  With that in mind, I would love to hear from some of you about the actual range you're getting in day-to-day use.  Please include whatever details are relevant, including speeds & distances traveled, whether you're commuting on level or hilly ground, etc.

Another related question came up when I was reading BrammoBrian's comments in another thread regarding future upgrades.  In that thread, he suggested that rider weight might significantly affect range.  Given that I'm 250 lbs in my birthday suit, this is a very relevant topic for me.

Thanks!

the webman
webman, aka eric

brammo vehicle desired:  Empulse 8.0
current rides:  '97 yamaha seca II (low miles, but beater)
'06 honda metro (wife's bike, mostly)
previous bikes:
'97 ducati monster 750
'91 yamaha FZR600
'84 Honda VF750 Interceptor

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: range in actual use
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 03:48:56 PM »
Given that I'm 250 lbs in my birthday suit,
= "oversharing."  :)

I'm about 210, fully-clothed, mind you, so in a few days I'll be able to give you some relevant information that the relatively diminutive BrammoBrian might not be able to share. 

Speaking of big guys, I wonder when/if we are going to get Craig or Dave on this board.  We should develop a database of owners by height, weight, and wind resistance. 
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 04:05:07 PM »
I can see where trying to calculate the specific commuting range is difficult. The slower my trip, the more range I get. When I coast downhill, I get more range. There are many variables that affect range.

I weigh close to 205 .lbs with my riding gear on  ;). I have many hills and on the few flat areas I try to go 45mph - 55 mph for at least five miles of my total commute. My average cruising speed is about 35 mph during my commute. I have to come to a complete stop about 15 times for stop signs/stop lights each way.

Today, I went out for lunch and a haircut which will make my commute about 30 miles out of last night's charge with some miles to spare.

I have about 500 miles on my bike and I know I could have done a better job to condition the batteries for more range.  

I tested my top speed on the highway last week and I think I came close to 65 mph (certainly over 60 mph). I do not think my weight makes any difference to the quoted performance specs.

Have you signed up with Brammo for a test ride?

ALephart

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • smart car forum
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 04:52:34 PM »
I am 185lbs and I got the bike to shutoff after 20miles, 10 of those miles at highway speeds.

All the best,
Aaron Lephart
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 08:26:31 PM by ALephart »

webman

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 02:26:18 PM »
Given that I'm 250 lbs in my birthday suit,
= "oversharing."  :)

I'm about 210, fully-clothed, mind you, so in a few days I'll be able to give you some relevant information that the relatively diminutive BrammoBrian might not be able to share. 

Speaking of big guys, I wonder when/if we are going to get Craig or Dave on this board.  We should develop a database of owners by height, weight, and wind resistance. 

...wind resistance.  I have the aerodynamic profile of a nice amish barn. :)
webman, aka eric

previous bikes:
'97 ducati monster 750
'91 yamaha FZR600

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 02:34:22 PM »
...wind resistance.  I have the aerodynamic profile of a nice amish barn. :)
I was thinking about my nose, actually.  My helmet has a round faceshield, but I am considering doing some wind-tunnel testing on my rather prominent proboscis to determine whether I might get more range from an open-faced helmet.

Just trying to keep all my options open.

I am also considering contacting one of my acquaintances (via the TTXGP Technical Rules Wiki). Craig Vetter, to see if he has any ideas for dustbin fairings for the Enertia. 
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

webman

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »
Craig Vetter is a GREAT resource!  I'd love to hear what he says.
webman, aka eric

previous bikes:
'97 ducati monster 750
'91 yamaha FZR600

ALephart

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • smart car forum
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 05:44:07 PM »