Author Topic: Rain test - check!  (Read 597 times)

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Rain test - check!
« on: January 27, 2013, 04:45:27 AM »
After spending an evening going over all the materials I decided to find an excuse to ride it a little more before I put it to bed (i.e. charging) til morning so I went out for a late night snack.  Due to our quirky valley weather patterns I got a surprise on the way home with a sudden rain shower.

Oh fun!  Out in the middle of the night with tires that barely have 50 miles on them and fresh rain on the ground.  Well, nothing to report except that I wasn't electrocuted and even with shiny new tires it held nicely on a variety of wet pavements (not that I was dragging my knee or anything).

And, it doesn't melt! ;)
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Rain test - check!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 06:37:49 AM »
I'm not sure why it surprises people - it's not like a conventional gas bike doesn't have a low voltage electrical system. Waterproofing the bikes is not entirely trivial, but it's not that hard..

My GS500 sputtered a little in really heavy downpours. The Zero handles those a little more nicely. Since on the Zero bikes the bottom-mounted charger is only rated for heavy splash protection and not immersion, I wouldn't want to ride it through more than about 6 inches of water..
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Rain test - check!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:40:47 PM »
Well, on that note, I didn't get around to any "6 inches of water" testing on that ride, so we still have some more test results to report in the future.

Oh, and it was more the "not melting" that surprised me.  I was literally shaking thinking "I hope it's not *really* made of cheese!  I hope it's not *really* made of cheese!"  (I need to stop letting those voices in my head fill me with those kinds of scary thoughts...)
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650