Author Topic: a broken frame  (Read 3251 times)

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
a broken frame
« on: January 31, 2013, 01:02:05 PM »
No good day today. I took a ride with my Brammo to the office, as it´s spring time in vienna. 10 degrees!

But it also has been very stormy, and after some hours a colleague told me that the wind has thrown my bike to the ground.

Not that bad, the front brake lever has been bent. But. Very bad, also the rear frame has been broken. Seems not to be very stable, this kind of magnesium chassis.

I'm going to make a patchwork solution

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: a broken frame
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »
Ow. That's some very serious damage from a tip-over : (

Brammo lists the Enertia frame as aluminum, not magnesium .. but whatever it's made of, it should be able to survive a side fall.
http://www.brammo.com/enertia-plus-specifications/

1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 02:07:17 PM »
Yes you are right, should be Aluminium. But seems to be brittle at the end, where the rear is mounted.
Anyway, should be not that worse, I got some iron metal, which I sawed off the number plate. Think this will do...

According to Annie Lennox - "first cut is the deepest"

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 03:13:21 PM »
I find this to be a very strange incident.  The bike leans to the opposite side of the brake lever and the tail section that is broken.  It would have to be a hurricane force wind to lift the bike off the kickstand and throw it to the ground on the high-side.  The Enertia also leans more dramatically into the kickstand than most bikes.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »
I had my Honda CB750 blow over some years ago while it was parked at work. I had it covered with a loose-fitting motorcycle cover at the time and the wind must have turned the cover into a sail.  The bike was parked on the side stand at the time and it blew over on the right-hand side, damaging the bar end, mirror, muffler and rear turn signal.  Ever since then, if a storm or high winds were being predicted, I would remove the cover, park my bike on the center stand and face it into the wind.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 06:27:50 PM »
Center stand might be less stable than a sidestand.

Also, I have some friends that would be brought to tears by your tale of damage to a CB750, Richard230 : )

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 06:45:16 PM »
Center stand might be less stable than a sidestand.

Also, I have some friends that would be brought to tears by your tale of damage to a CB750, Richard230 : )

Not really. My bike was a 1994 model.

Based upon the 1984 earthquake in the Bay Area, having a bike on a center stand is not a good idea.  So many BMW's fell over (ones that were facing in a certain direction) that BMW ran completely out of fairing parts and it took them months to rebuild their inventory of plastic. That was a real surprise to a lot of owners.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 11:31:53 PM »
I find this to be a very strange incident.  The bike leans to the opposite side of the brake lever and the tail section that is broken.  It would have to be a hurricane force wind to lift the bike off the kickstand and throw it to the ground on the high-side.  The Enertia also leans more dramatically into the kickstand than most bikes.

Yes, really strange. As the brammo looks best at the front - and the wind has not been that strong in the morning - the wind blew from the left side. No, it has not been a hurricane, but really really hard wind. This happens when the temperature are rising from -6 to 10... Must have been a kind of highsider.

Everything might happen!

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 12:14:11 AM »
We had 40+ mph gusts a couple days ago. I stayed off the roads : \

Gerhard

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 02:07:39 AM »
Hier die Ersatzeile:

Gerhard

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »
Gerhard, my dearest dealer 8)!

I will try to find a guy in vienna to make  a alu welding.
But, wow, 70€ for the total right alu part is not that much (compared to my other hobby, RC helicopters...)

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 03:03:13 AM »
Hello, today I wanted to go to the weldering, and I think it would be a good idea to disconnect all the electrical power before weldering.

I tried to unplug the "blue" plug - which is in fact black, and the cable is orange - located near the fan, but it did not move. As I don´t want to destroy more than necessary  8) - do I just need to spend enough force or do I need to make some additonal magic?

Thanks
Rano

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 08:09:02 AM »
It has some tabs on the side that you have to squeeze in order to "unlock" it.  Are you squeezing them?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 04:28:42 PM »
Hi Brammofan, no I did not squeeze them. I will try...

Lucky me, today I had a nice evening in my garage. Just like 20 years ago...

Gerhard my dealer sent me the frame

aaaand what happend ... previous ATTENTION! UGLY IMAGE! BRRRRRR

and two hours later ... and I only missed one screw  ;D

a question, which part is new? Left or right?

By the way, below the plastic of the "tank" I could see this sensor (sorry no good photo). Can anybody tell me what this sensor does???

If Brian reads this lines-- YES I am able to unscrew my brammo! And I could see my SEVCON...

- Rano

Gerhard

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 05:58:36 AM »
Das ist der Lautsprecher, der dich beim Einschalten begrüßt.

Gerhard