Author Topic: Service Required  (Read 2735 times)

FrankH

• Empulse Guru
  • First Enertia+ in the Netherlands!
    • View Profile
Service Required
« on: February 03, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »
There's quite a number of stories on this forum about the high standards of service that Brammo maintains (like engineers flying around the US to fix your bike on your doorstep), and I always wondered if they would do the same here in Europe. Now I get the chance, being one of the first Enertia Plus owners in Europe, to see if Brammo can live up to their reputation! :o

Last wednesday, when the sun was shining and my son was at school, I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to beat Gavin at his game of producing high quality Enertia Plus Pictures In the Wild... but when I started my bike, it threw "Service Req'd S83" errors while indicating wildly changing motor temperatures:

And when that error went away after some restarts, it started throwing S85 errors (the same ones I had right after I had received my licence plate, which at the time Brammo thought were caused by the freezing weather).

I thought this may have been due to my leaving it outside overnight in the stormy rain, but after contacting Brammo Service (as the manual states in the error handling section), and sending them some log files and even video's of me starting it up, Brammo's service department decided they need to come over and fix something inside my bike.
I've not yet received a date, but hopefully some time next week Marcin (Head of European Service) will come from Germany to Amsterdam to get everything working again...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:01:05 AM by FrankH »

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Service Required
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 05:32:35 PM »
As I said before, the real waterproof testing will be done in Holland  ;D

But thats a string of bad luck with those errors Frank. Fingers crossed, after this one it's reliable!
Once you go EV, gas is history!

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:55:32 PM »
Yep, please keep us updated.

Sounds like Brammo's on top of it.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 06:32:53 PM »
Ah, the joys of being an early adopter.   ;)

Been there, done that.   :)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »
Today I started my brammo (yes, frame still broken). Got a S65 error...
Turned the key off and on, the error did not happen again. So, lets see... ;)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 01:12:25 AM »
Today I started my brammo (yes, frame still broken). Got a S65 error...
Turned the key off and on, the error did not happen again. So, lets see... ;)

By any chance, did you move the bike during the start up procedure? I've gotten that error when I've moved the bike as I'm pressing the "starter" button. If still, no error.

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 03:35:46 PM »
By any chance, did you move the bike during the start up procedure? I've gotten that error when I've moved the bike as I'm pressing the "starter" button. If still, no error.
Ahemm, yes I did something different compared to the normal starting procedure. Maybe I moved the bike a bit. Would be a strange behaviour, but ... also a nice answer. Hope that the problem will be solved, I will keep checking. ;D

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »
I get "service required" notices from time to time and I'll sometimes send an email to my Brammo tech about it. Depending on the error number, they often say to just keep riding and let them know if it's a recurring error. In other words, I don't let them ruin my day.

I think they said somewhere that the bike records all these errors and errs on the side of over-inclusion.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

FrankH

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 05:12:21 AM »
Yesterday Marcin came over from Germany to fix my bike. Not entirely successful though. Today he'll pick it up to work on it further at a proper workshop in the Netherlands. There's only so much you can do in a cold parking garage, with the bike lifted onto an IKEA children's chair...

I can't reliably reproduce what's wrong with it but several rounds of reconfiguring angles on the motor controller or something like that did make the errors go away most of the time, but Marcin wasn't satisfied, even after going on until eleven at night (calling Brammo USA from time to time for extra advice). There may be some water inside after all but to check that, they'll have to take out more of the bike's internals. So that's why a colleague of him will come from Germany too, with a van and extra equipment. I'm confident they'll be able to fix it and I really appreciate Brammo's commitment and determination to get it working properly again!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 05:29:47 PM by FrankH »

FrankH

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 02:20:27 PM »
It's turned red ;)

Last thursday a driver from Germany came to replace my black Plus with a red Classic (a demo bike from Germany). Brammo Germany are going to look into what's bugging my bike, at their location with all the tools they need at hand.
Replacing the motor, the throttle controls and a lot of settings adjustments didn't make those S83 and S85 errors go away. After some time it started erroring out at every traffic light, and later even threw an error while I was accelerating to over 70 km/h into a tunnel with no emergency lane :o (that tunnel is where I normally take it over 100km/h and even then I get overtaken by cars). After that incident I didn't dare ride it to work anymore.
I'm happy to have a bike I can ride again! And it gave me a chance to compare Classic vs Plus:

• The Classic has the bonus of being easier to charge in the cold, it seems. That may be because of the different type of batteries used?
  • It seems limited to 105km/h (65mph) instead of the 110km/h (~70mph) of the Plus. But today, in colder weather in the tunnel I mentioned earlier, I couldn't get it past 90 or so (55mph).
  • Riding it is pretty much the same (acceleration and handling) apart from the reduced max speed.
  • A German licence plate doesn't seem to make a big difference.

I hope my Plus gets fixed soon but in the mean time I'm happy spring is coming and I can ride!

Frank
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:00:32 AM by FrankH »

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 09:51:19 PM »
Frank,

Sorry to hear of your problems, but glad that you got a loaner bike while your bike is being investigated/repaired.  I have every confidence that the Brammo team in Germany working with the group here will figure out what's gone wrong and get you back on the road.  I really appreciate your patience and continued posts to let us know how things are going.  Hopefully the next ones will be only positive!