Author Topic: Suspension setup / mods ?  (Read 3474 times)

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Suspension setup / mods ?
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »
Hey Shinysideup,

Did Superplush measure the spring rate for the rear spring? I'm trying to get information on the current spring rate to help me pick out a new spring. I'm running too much preload for my liking in the rear.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2013, 04:29:33 PM »
I asked Adam what the spring rates were after my suspension tuner wanted a reference to choose a new spring for me.  He sent me the following specs:

- The travel is 120mm (forks and shock)
- Forks – 9.8N/mm
- Shock – 90N/mm

Does that look right that they are different by a factor of 10x?  I haven't made any progress on getting a new spring so I never looked closely enough at the numbers to ask if there is a missing decimal point...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2013, 11:29:14 PM »
Thanks, Flar! That's exactly what I needed! Those numbers look pretty good. The front springs look like they're on the higher end, but nothing out of the ordinary. And to answer your question, it's perfectly reasonable to have a 10x stiffer rear spring, because of the mechanical linkage in the rear. I'll try and pull my shock soon so that I can get some detailed measurements. That should be the last thing I need to pick a new spring. I'll fill out a worksheet from Racetech with the dimensions and then post it up when I'm done.