Author Topic: Stainless steel brake lines?  (Read 1049 times)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Stainless steel brake lines?
« on: February 08, 2013, 02:21:40 AM »
It seemed to me that somewhere back in the Eternal Wait era, mention was made that the Empulse would arrive with SS brake lines, based on what folks saw in pre-release photos.

They're not, as far as I can see.

I had some on another bike and really appreciate the tautness they gave to applying the brakes... just a more secure feel to modulating the brake pressure.

Anybody (Brian) know if SS brake line set have been specified for the Empulse, as an add-on?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:25:23 AM by Shinysideup »

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Stainless steel brake lines?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »
My R has braided steel brake lines. They've got a black cover over them, but they're SS brake lines as far as I can see and from what I was told by Brian.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 05:52:14 PM »
My R has braided steel brake lines. They've got a black cover over them, but they're SS brake lines as far as I can see and from what I was told by Brian.

Hmm... well, live and learn! I've been trying to research these thin O.D. lines more and ran across the Spanish manufacturer's page:

http://www.jjuan.es/?page_id=125&lang=en

Empulse lines look like "Type 2" the second item from the top, which is specified as:

Material:    Metallic braided on PA core
Applications:    Vehicle brake circuits. Medium expansion, medium performance

I'm thinking I'd rather have "Type 3" which is described as:

Material:    Metallic braided on Teflon core
Applications:    High end vehicles brake circuits. Minimum expansion, highest performance.

As to having my fat, beloved visible steel braid on the outside, I ran across this post on a BMW car forum:

"If you get braided lines for a street car make sure you get ones that are coated. On a race car the stainless braided lines are replaced often and protect the lines from being cut by flying debris. However on a street car most people don't think about their brake lines EVER so eventually dirt works its way it to the stainless braids and acts like sandpaper grinding away at the rubber line inside. The coated lines help to keep that dirt out of the braids."

Can I get some SS braided lines with clear coating??

See what trouble I get into while my Empulse is charging?!

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 08:43:35 PM »
a lot of the brake lines for bikes have a clear (or colored) coating on them. Galfer makes some nice ones.