Author Topic: Using the Park and Move on the Empulse?  (Read 1600 times)

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Using the Park and Move on the Empulse?
« on: February 06, 2013, 07:04:50 PM »
I have a really tight garage with my race car on one side and my Tesla charging on the other.
I purchased the Park and Move Cruiser to move the bike around to a better space.  However looking at the bottom of the bike, I am not sure I won't damage the plastic undercover.  I see the bikes on jack stands on Brammo's Facebook.

Is there a way I can use the Park and Move?
Park-n-Move Cruiser Model Placed under Harley

where would be a safe place to place it under the bike?

aledbetter

• View Profile
Re: Using the Park and Move on the Empulse?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:21:02 PM »
I would not want to use that on my Brammo, it is bound to break something eventually, such as the plastic shroud on the bottom.

Perhaps a pitbull stand front and back would suffice ?

I would also note that the brammo is very easy to move around compared to other bikes ... but the kick stand is a bit of a pain.
2013 Brammo Empulse R - fun
2012 Ducati Panagale S - fast
2010 KTM 530 EXC - dirty

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 07:30:31 PM »
Pitbull would be great...but it really isn't designed to move a bike into a tight corner is it?

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »
My garage is tight too... I just park the bike with the front end as close to the corner wall as possible and throw the kickstand down. Then I lift the back tire (by the wheel obviously) and pivot the bike parallel to the wall, lightly dragging the kick stand as I slide the back end in. Works for me... good little workout too... just make sure you dont tip over in the process.

aledbetter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 07:38:11 PM »
The pitbull stands are not good at tight corners... at all.

2013 Brammo Empulse R - fun
2012 Ducati Panagale S - fast
2010 KTM 530 EXC - dirty

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 10:21:42 PM »
My garage is tight too... I just park the bike with the front end as close to the corner wall as possible and throw the kickstand down. Then I lift the back tire (by the wheel obviously) and pivot the bike parallel to the wall, lightly dragging the kick stand as I slide the back end in. Works for me... good little workout too... just make sure you dont tip over in the process.

HOLY CRAP!  I just did this and about busted an aneurysm...and might have had a little accident in my pants from straining so much!!! LOL

Maybe Brammobrian can chime in on if there is a safe spot to put the bike up from....

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 10:46:27 PM »

HOLY CRAP!  I just did this and about busted an aneurysm...and might have had a little accident in my pants from straining so much!!! LOL

Maybe Brammobrian can chime in on if there is a safe spot to put the bike up from....

LOL... its no easy task but my GSXR750 was about 420lbs, a bit lighter than the Empulse. Not sure how the weight is distributed with the Empulse though, that might make all the difference...

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 04:05:06 AM »
This would not mess up any of the bodywork, but would be harder to store out of the way when the motorcycle wasn't present:

http://www.amazon.com/Pit-Viper-Motorcycle-Dolly-Stand/dp/B002MY39YG
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 08:52:58 PM »
I would definitely not recommend the park and move as the lower bodywork simply covers the motor controller.  You could support the bike underneath the motor, but the battery weight would cause it to tip forward.  The best option would probably be that full dolly, which we've used at the shop here.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 08:59:42 PM »
Brian, do front-style pit bull stands work?

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 10:11:44 PM »
I have the front-style Pit Bull stand and it works fine, but it will tend to hit the left foot peg by default.

I suppose you could tape the left foot peg up to keep it out of the way, but I don't bother.

What I do is stand on the left so I can control the transfer of weight off of the side stand onto the spools.  You will have plenty of clearance to get the bike spools steady on the stand and holding the bike steady before the handle reaches the peg. Then once I have the stand engaged firmly in both spools I keep one hand on the Pit Bull handle to keep the bike steady, gently lift the peg out of the way with the other hand and then push down.  You should be able to get the lever well past the foot peg with one hand, if not entirely down to the floor.

Taking it off of the stand doesn't require anything special as the handle will tip the foot peg out of the way as it comes up.
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »
thanks everyone.  I ended up getting the other dolly.  They have the same ones at Harbor Freight.  Will post a pick after it gets put together.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 12:53:28 PM »
This might be helpful to someone clever enough to make use of it:

There is an extra set of threaded "fixturing" holes on the "hips" of the chassis that the footpeg brackets bolt onto.  This hole is used to support the frame during assembly.  It's on the far right, directly below the swingarm pivot in the photo below:

We install some small swingarm spools in this location on the Empulse TTX to allow us to use a rear wheel stand to support the bike from the middle to assist with various maintenance activities or wheel changes.  I'm not sure if this feature would help with someone trying to figure out how to get the bike into a tight garage space, but I thought I'd point it out in case it does...

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 05:04:50 PM »
brammobrian,

you are awesome. Thanks for the pics.  It would be awesome if that could be used.  I think though the center of gravity would still be too far forward.

I might keep the park and move and see if something can be made.

Anyways, I did get the dolly from Harbor Freight.  Easy to assemble, but be careful as the bolts aren't hardened.  When I was lightly tightening the bolts, I snapped two of them!  Just tighten with enough pressure to compress the spring washer. 

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »
Here are some pics of my space.  I had the bike to the left of the Tesla making it kinda tight getting in and out of the garage.  It's a little more work to take the bike out but sacrifices you have to make to have such a fun ride!

*obligatory tilt shift photo included.