Author Topic: Frodus's Brammo Empulse R #24  (Read 9584 times)

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Frodus's Brammo Empulse R #24
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 03:07:14 PM »
Hey Frodus, just another opinion here...

You might be surprised how well they do in the wet. I rode a lot of sportbikes when I lived in Florida, and I always found that most sportbike street tires performed pretty well in the wet. Street tires never really hold much heat, so not much grip is sacrificed in the damp due to temperature. Their tread will shed a little standing water, but not bigger puddles or sheeting water in a heavy downpour. When things really dumped in FL I just slowed down a bit or I'd pull off under a bridge and wait 15 minutes until it went back to a drizzle. Weather in the Northwest likely sticks around for longer, but if the roads are generally just wet and not inundated, then you might be alright.

Now I also fully endorse street-oriented dual sport tires in the wet. I ride Metzler Tourances on my R1200GS and they really shed water well. They do pretty admirably in the twisties, but I do think I will still prefer sportbike tires on my Empulse.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 03:44:02 PM »
I might just be overly cautious because I did spend a bit on this bike! I'll see how they do for now. Thanks guys.

ChrisM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 09:07:53 PM »
very nice.

I loved the enertia classic for night riding. no regen or engine braking...so you would get up to speed and let off the throttle and coast along in silence. You felt like the nose cone of an airplane.

Gavin

Took delivery over the weekend and have hardly been able to get out, but I'm about as giddy as some of you other guys, after all the waiting and build-up.  Wow! 

Still, I have to say I like Gavin's imagery here and I do like coasting sometimes.  Doing so on an E-bike would be the ultimate coasting! 

I know it's very un-sport-bikey of me, but would it make sense for Brammo to code in some user-tailored regen settings so people could coast when they choose?  I take it that's what the 2013 Zero app does.  Would that be a hard thing to add to the Empulse?  Not the app I mean, but the functionality.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 10:14:15 PM »
Does shifting into neutral or pulling in the clutch allow you to coast?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2013, 11:30:45 PM »
Regen can be adjusted by programming the Sevcon

I can coast in Neutral or while pulling in the clutch.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2013, 12:28:25 AM »
I've done a fair amount of riding in the rain on the Avons. I think they do just fine, although I had my first slip today, a bit on the rear as I accelerated hard to get onto the freeway on-ramp from a stop light and crossed a painted crosswalk patch. It was about 1/4 second and the grip recovered before I could even react.

I think all modern street tires that I've been on have done well in the rain, IF they do well in the dry. (I had some Bridgestones on a heavy ST100 that were scary all the time!).  Sure I've got to slow down a bit, leave longer space between me and the car in front, and take longer for stops, but that's just common sense for all drivers in the rain and not really scary. Your pucker may vary!

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2013, 01:10:45 AM »
From what I understand all of the modern sport tires are really good, but I'll +1 the sport touring tires.  They are designed to have a quicker warm up and run warmer at stree speeds, as well as perform really well in the rain.  Examples are Pirellli's Angels, Bridgestone's BT-023, or Dunlop's Roadsmarts.  Avons had a real good rep in damp and cool conditions as they were (are?) a British brand, but I don't know about currently.

I used to run the older version of the BT023s.  The front tire looked like a MotoGP rain tire. :D  But that was years ago.  Just my 2 cents.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2013, 10:34:01 AM »
The only tires that really scared me in the wet were the Bridgestone S-11 tires (you won't find those in your sizes) and the Metezler ME 880.  That tire will last forever, carry a ton of load and if it is cold and wet, will slide for a quarter mile before coming to a stop.  Other than that, I have found most modern radial tires to work pretty well on wet pavement, especially if they are not worn out (so that they still have decent tread) and are at the proper inflation pressure. 

For rain riding, look for a tire that has a lot of grooves in the tread, including some that cross the center of the tire.  The deeper the better - which is where dual-sport tires do well.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2013, 11:21:30 AM »
Thanks guys, That makes me feel a bit better. I'm used to more grooved tires than the Avons. I'll stick with these for now and just continue being careful if it rains.

On a lighter note:

I rode to work today, got a handful of people to stop in lanes next to me at lights and give me the NOD. Pretty cool.

The commute is about 13 miles door to door, mostly highway. I left a little early so I could avoid some traffic. I went from ~95% to 75%, which roughly works out to be ~2kwh used... and at local rates of ~$0.10/kwh, cost me $0.25 including some fudge factor for charging inefficiency/variance in riding. I'll know better once I plug it in to charge (I've got a Kill-a-watt meter that the bike is plugged into).

For the same trip, in the morning, on slow or stop and go highway speeds, I'd average about 20mpg on the way to work in my Audi A4 Quattro, so for the same route, it'd cost ~$2.50 in gas.

That's HUGE. I wasn't even thinking about that kind of savings when I got the bike.... so yeah, awesome! So comparing 16 weeks of riding as an example:

Empulse R:
16 weeks * 5 days * $0.50/day RT = $40

Audi A4 Quattro:
same 16 weeks * 5 days * $5/day RT = $400

That's 10 times cheaper, and since it's mostly Water and Wind power in Oregon, it's a lot better on the environment.

And yes, I plan on charting my Kill-A-Watt meter versus miles ridden.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 04:20:17 PM »
Met up with skuzzle for lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings and he followed me over to work and took it for a spin down the street. Was a nice chat!

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 06:03:56 PM »
Not sure if they are sold in the US but Metzeler makes great winter tires for motorcycles! I currently use Heidenau winter tires myself but that is because the Vectrix has scooter size wheels.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2013, 06:32:59 PM »
Met up with skuzzle for lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings and he followed me over to work and took it for a spin down the street. Was a nice chat!

Frodus was nice enough to give me a quick test run on the Frodus machine.  I just did a quick second gear down a straight road and back.  Short ride, but now I'm hooked.  The acceleration at even 2/3 throttle was better than what I was expecting.  Getting going with little sound is really cool.  I can't comment about how the bike handles turns, but the narrow profile and bike size reminds me of smaller fun bikes I have ridden in the past like my old FZR400.

Hopefully the non-R Empulses will be available soon so I can write about my own bike in the near future.

Brammo Rider Wannabe

• Enciter
  • Empulse Order# 628
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2013, 08:56:23 PM »
Empulse E1 (non-R) production is set to begin in April, so you can get excited.  ;)  Thanks for your patience!

Coming in April, hopefully to a store near you.  8)

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2013, 04:49:53 PM »
Went to Cyclegear this weekend to look around.... Looking didn't turn out as well as planned..... came home with a few things:

Seven Zero Seven Vendetta 3 helmet with flip down internal sun shield. I needed something with a clear visor for night time, and preferred a flip down shield for day riding when it's bright. Haven't tried it during a sunny day yet, it's been overcast. Seems like a solid helmet and fits well.
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/Vendetta_3_Solid_Full-Face_Motorcycle_Helmet/web1010348

Riding "Jeans" with kneepads and kevlar near knees/hips and seat.
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/bilt_iron_workers_steel_motorcycle_jeans/web1009966

and a Xena XZZ6L Lock with Alarm (fits Empulse rotors). This thing is LOUD and seems like a solid lock.
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/XZZ6L_Disc_Lock_Alarm/web1008115

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2013, 06:28:29 PM »
I've got the Zena lock and we've discussed it on the forum before. It's excellent.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki