Author Topic: Test Drove Plus Today  (Read 1452 times)

cogito

• View Profile
Test Drove Plus Today
« on: February 13, 2013, 01:43:09 AM »
Test Drove Plus Today

The last time I drove an Enertia was within a week of their introduction at Best Buy. I was underwhelmed; very slow off the line, low top speed, no regen, terrible turning radius, fan ran constantly, ran out 1/3 of the battery on a short test ride. I know Brammo re-jiggered the power curve on the initial Enertia after I drove, but there were too many checks on the negative list.

Today, different story. At first the Enertia looked overly tall next to the Empulse at the Harley dealer that carries the Brammos here in SoCal now, but as soon as I got on and was able to maneuver the bike out of the lot (much better turning radius) I started to enjoy the ride. The dealer drove an Enertia 1, so I had some comparison. The bikes were much faster off the line than my ride a few years ago. I can’t be certain, but it’s possible the Enertia 1 was a tad quicker off the line than the Plus, but that’s where the 1’s  edge ended. The Plus did better in the mid range and when the 1 seemed to be winding out in the mid 50’s the Plus gave a burst more and shot up to 65. (we were only on the freeway a short while so I don’t know max speed.)

There’s a little bit of regen on the bike now, doesn’t stop the bike quickly, but does feel much more like ICE bike and doesn’t freewheel when you want to back off the speed a bit. Much nicer.

I don’t think I heard the fan go on once, maybe the motor and/or controller is more efficient. Maybe it was just a cooler day.

The battery charge was still over 90% when we pulled back in.

Still no pegs for a passenger, but much improved.

Have you tried the Plus or are you all past that and onto the Empulse?

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Test Drove Plus Today
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »
The Empulse and Enertia Plus have just started shipping to dealers; so there a handful of Enertia Plus owners in Europe (E+ is manufactured in Hungary) and a handful of Empulse owners in the US (Empulse is manufactured in Oregon).

The price and performance gap between the E+ and the Enertia is pretty large - the two bikes will serve a different sort of use.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: Test Drove Plus Today
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:48:33 AM »
Yeah...I put about 5000 miles on an Enertia and then a couple of thousand on a Plus...the Plus is a more grown up bike...much improved.

The Plus is a near perfect city bike. If all you do is city and one rider, get the Plus. It is a wonderful ride.

But more about that later today with my blog post (a day late but that is how I roll)

Gavin